monocle windshield.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

monocle windshield.

Post by tdump » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:28 pm

After years of wondering if my Idea for a moncole windsheild was doable,I finally found a picture of 1. What would you use for windwo channel? I am thinking of finding a old car side window and taking the bottom off of it and making some cuts to make the angles and weld it back up.Then a glass shop could glue in the safety glass just like a car side window,only after cutting it to fit.

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/article/r ... speedster/
A stop sign shaped windshield.Being I put up road signs for a living before I got hurt,I kinda think it fits me .IF I put numbers on my speedster,for whatever reason,it will be 1057, my old truck number at work.
Attachments
windsheild.jpg
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Re: monocle windshield.

Post by DanTreace » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:38 am

As there is a lot of shaking/wiggling going on with a Model T steering column, anchoring the heavy glass to only partial frame would need good sealant/adhesive silicone. You would want it very secure.

Way back....did the monocle on the speedster using the half frame alum. fixture sold by vendors, think they still make 'em.

For result of lightweight to keep the fixture upright against the breeze of fast running, used sheet Plexiglas instead of heavy real glass. Cut it from sheet stock, and flame rounded the upper edges to make it smooth. Just like a motorcycle windscreen.

Anchored it with black silicone adhesive, as the frame was painted black. Worked fine.

scan0035.jpg
scan0035.jpg (64.97 KiB) Viewed 2667 times
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Topic author
tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Post by tdump » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:14 am

You answered the question that popped into my feeble mind about 2 am!. Thank you.Nothing shakes quite as much as a old Harley and the windshields seem to hold up on them ok.
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:48 am

Mack

Plexiglas is the better choice, the late Ralph Ricks posted this photo years ago, running the Great Race.

Crossed railroad tracks at speed, and the safety glass in his took a dive. :o

128681.jpg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

namdc3
First Name: Nikolaus
Last Name: Martin
MTFCA Number: 32342
MTFCI Number: 23512

Post by namdc3 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:23 pm

+1 for plexiglass

havnfun
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Kowalczyk
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 Speedster, 1913 Runabout, 1923 Roadster, 1912 Mother-in-law roadster
MTFCA Number: 49558
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by havnfun » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:13 pm

I have Plexiglas in mine, took it off and put a half windshield on the car, the Plexiglass heading into the sun is blinding, had to look around the window to drive.
Regards,
Joe Kowalczyk - 1923 Roadster, 1913 Runabout, 1918 Speedster, 1912 Mother-in-law roadster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic