Mystery transmission accessory ???

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
dobro1956
First Name: Donnie
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Sport Touring, 1919 Speedster, 1914 Speedster, Wards tractor conversion, non starter 1926 Improved Touring
MTFCA Number: 49575

Mystery transmission accessory ???

Post by dobro1956 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:12 pm

While restoring the hogs head for the speedster project, I found a neat accessory item in my parts stash. I have only seen two of these and I have both of them .. I think I understand how it fits into the hogs head. It appears to be an item to achieve the same effect as a long low speed pedal shaft when using quick change bands. ??? The early long low speed shaft went all the way across the hogs head and was supported by the hollow adjusting bolt. It made for a much more solid assembly. This item appears to try and achieve the same full support ??

Has anyone seen anymore of these?? Has anyone used this item ?? Does anyone have an ad for this item??

I have played around with it on the bench and it appears that it should install fairly easily when the hogshead is in place on the engine.

Any input will be appreciated, as I probably will use it, unless someone has a horror story ...
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (4).JPG
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (5).JPG
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (6).JPG
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (7).JPG
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (8).JPG
Last edited by dobro1956 on Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
dobro1956
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Sport Touring, 1919 Speedster, 1914 Speedster, Wards tractor conversion, non starter 1926 Improved Touring

Re: Mystery transmission accessory ???

Post by dobro1956 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:13 pm

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (1).JPG
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (2).JPG
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (3).JPG

Topic author
dobro1956

Post by dobro1956 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:05 am

Nobody has seen one of these ?. I was hoping someone has used one.

Topic author
dobro1956

Post by dobro1956 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:28 pm

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:10 am

Donnie

Never have seen one. Still don't know reason for use. Seems that 'accessory' separate shaft piece would have to have exacting dimensions, otherwise that thing would just bottom out on the cut-off 'stub' end of the earlier low speed shaft, and then bottom out into the early adjusting screw hollow end.

Result would be the adjusting screw couldn't push any more with its flange on the ear of the band ...to tighten up the band.

Have made an earlier hollow shaft adjusting screw in the new style, by Loctite of a threaded stub into the hollow end. Had to be sure the length was same a new style screw. If not, it could butt up to the cut-off pedal shaft, as Ford recommended to shorten to aprox. 7/8" stub, so a gap is needed between the parts used for the demountable-ear bands.

Low speed hollow screw.jpg
IMG_0405 (800x600).jpg
Cut off low pedal shaft.jpg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:35 am

Dan

while I'm a fan of the old style pedal shaft for aluminum hog's heads, I, too, am dubious of this accessory's utility. However, I think you're mistaken in your belief that it would be jamed up. With the spring under any kind of compression, the female end of the stub shaft will remain firmly pressed against the pedal shaft...leaving the other end free to ride in the adjustment screw as did the original longer shaft. Whether or not it adds or aids in stability of the shaft anywhere near it's longer cousin, is doubtful.

I almost wonder if it is not to ease the mind that your spring is not going to "fly off" if things go slack in the transmission.

Like so many lesser accessories of the day, it appears to be a soulution looking for a problem.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

DanTreace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring

Post by DanTreace » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:04 pm

Scott

Thinking about your statement: I almost wonder if it is not to ease the mind that your spring is not going to "fly off" if things go slack in the transmission., that leads me to think aha. :roll:

Do now think this little shaft gizmo is an accessory sold with certain brands of demountable-ear bands, way before Ford offered demountable style in 1925!

With the Ford version, a new Adjusting Screw was mandated, so if you sawed off your earlier long low speed shaft, you had to modify the old style hollow Adj. Screw.

This accessory piece would do that for you, as the new Ford adj. screw didn't exist yet.... just slip that accessory piece on the shortened low speed shaft and proceed with band re-install.

One example of aftermarket demountable bands, 1924, others were earlier.
145095.jpg

Ford came out in 1925, that is when the new style Adj. screw was available.
145096.jpg
145096.jpg (31.81 KiB) Viewed 3519 times

That way you wouldn't have to modify the earlier Adj. screw to work with any demountable bands.
IMG_4026 (700x418).jpg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:11 pm

Dan

that's using your noodle. I didn't see that coming, but have to wonder if you didn't just nail it?

I was not aware that demountable-ear bands predated Ford's as an accessory.

Learn sumpin' new ever' day. Thanks.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
dobro1956

Post by dobro1956 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:13 pm

Dan, I think you are correct. I never thought about it being part of an accessory set of bands. While going thru my stash of bands I found a few odd ball sets of "button style" bands. They have lugs like shown in the above ad. The lugs have a "step" at the end of the lug. The lugs also do not fit Ford button style bands.

The part in question is well made and fits snugly and works smoothly, but I agree that the "gain" in function is still lacking when compared to a stock Ford long shaft clutch pedal.

I think it is going to be added to the accessory collection.

Ill be using a stock Ford quick Chang band setup.

Thanks for the input

DanTreace

Post by DanTreace » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:03 pm

Donnie

Lots of different 'demountable' type of bands came along before Ford decided to add this feature in time for the Improved Ford, to keep sales going against the tide due to Chevrolet. :shock:

IMG_2567 (700x393).jpg
IMG_1496 (700x435).jpg

But this adv. and had not looked at it as closely as now....... :? ......appears to offer that piece you have! That makes it.

IMG_1495 (700x525).jpg

Topic author
dobro1956

Post by dobro1956 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:39 pm

Dan, The last ad you posted has a piece almost like my mystery part. I have two five gallon buckets almost full of accessory bands and pieces. But I have never been able to "piece together" a full set. I have several "single" bands with their proper ear or lug. but no full sets. Now I have a better idea of how my little mystery part fits into the pile.

Thanks again for the input .......

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic