Engine Stand

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Mopar_man
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Govoni
MTFCA Number: 32331
Board Member Since: 2016

Engine Stand

Post by Mopar_man » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:06 pm

So I bought the metal plate from Lang's that you use to hold the engine by the water inlet and two pins that look like they fit where 2 of the engine pan bolts go. Am I supposed to drill out holes in the plate so the arms on my engine stand bolt up to it? The stand is a Northern tool version that has adjustable arms on it that would normally go on the end of an engine block.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Engine Stand

Post by Mark Gregush » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:06 am

No the shaft take the place of the one that is in it now unless yours is different size. You will then need to drill the shaft to have 4 holes to match the ones in your stand if yours uses the pin. If it only uses a pinch bolt, I would not count on it to hold the weight of the T engine level esp with the transmission attached and you would need to drill vertical holes in the stand and 4 holes 90 deg apart in the adapter.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :roll:

1921 Huckster
1925 Cut down pickup

Kaiser
First Name: Leo
Last Name: van Stirum

Post by Kaiser » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:46 am

Hey Mopar-man what you have is one of the universal engine stands like the one in the picture below.
You can simply drill 4 holes in the corners of the mounting plate you purchased from Lang's and mount it to your stand, as in the second picture, or you could weld a pipe of the right outside diameter to the plate from Lang's, but then you would have to drill some holes in that pipe to match with the holes in the stand you have so you can fixate the engine in a couple of orientations depending on the work to be done on your motor
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
When in trouble, do not fear, blame the second engineer ! 8-)
Leo van Stirum, Netherlands
'23 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

Topic author
Mopar_man
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Govoni
MTFCA Number: 32331

Post by Mopar_man » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:32 pm

Thanks for all the info. Almost time to pull the engine.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic