A LITTLE FRIDAY LEVITY

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
StanHowe
First Name: Stan
Last Name: Howe
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 19133
Board Member Since: 1999

A LITTLE FRIDAY LEVITY

Post by StanHowe » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:22 pm

This is my favorite comic strip, Pluggers. It is about people like us, working on old cars and tractors and wearing Model T suspenders. It isn't in our newspaper anymore so I look it up on the Internet just about every day. This is my favorite from the last year.
Enjoy!!
2019 12 20 pluggers funeral again.jpg

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Re: A LITTLE FRIDAY LEVITY

Post by Rich Bingham » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:32 pm

We had Pluggers years back for a short while. The cartoons are going the way of the passenger pigeon. What few are left, many look like they are drawn by four-year-olds who use their feet, and the lines are either acidly sarcastic or just plain depressing. Good to know the good ones can be found online, newspapers are dying a slow death. Thanks for posting Stan !
"Get a horse !"

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Post by tdump » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:38 pm

Cute cartoon and just the way i want to be planted,in my work clothes.I don't even own a suit and danged if I want to be planted in 1 bought just for that job.
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

Topic author
StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:41 pm

Yup!
Well vacation's over, back to the shop for the weekend. My girl was home from Stanford for a couple days, she's headed back tomorrow but I got to have lunch with her Wednesday and saw her again yesterday at the Basketball game. Back to work!

Topic author
StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:01 pm

Mack, one of the things I learned almost 50 years ago when I moved to Helena to teach school is that every funeral home has -- or did then -- a big old closet full of suits, most brought in by people to see which one is going to look the best on the departed and then they only use one so the rest go in the closet to sell to people who don't have a suit to be planted in.

Also, at least back then, they had paid pallbearers available for those who don't have friends, family etc., to carry them to the hearse and at the grave yard. Here, they hired guys from the mission down town, one favorite was an old guy they called Weepy Charlie who would cry and carry on at the funeral, go over to the widow and blubber all over her about how much he would miss him and how they knew each other years back and so on. They gave most of the guys a shave, a haircut and twenty bucks but Weepy got an extra ten spot and a pint of Bushmills along with the twenty. How did I learn all this??? Two of my students had parents who were in the funeral home business and both of them knew Weepy and liked him a lot. I also sang at a lot of funerals, especially for the charity ones, and saw Weepy in action a couple times.

As an aside to all this, a song I wrote 30++++ years ago when I was a famous Cowboy singer, "Take Me Back Along the Yellowstone" has been sung at a lot of funerals in the West, some times by me and quite often by others. I have had people contact me and ask for permission to have it sung at their funeral or to sing it at another's. That's a compliment. Of course I give them permission.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564

Post by Mark Gregush » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:02 pm

My Dad is getting to the age where I was thinking about this, came to the same idea. He's a Plugger so am I when the time comes.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

DLodge
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Lodge
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 19659

Post by DLodge » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:04 pm

StanHowe wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:01 pm
As an aside to all this, a song I wrote 30++++ years ago when I was a famous Cowboy singer, "Take Me Back Along the Yellowstone" has been sung at a lot of funerals in the West, some times by me and quite often by others. I have had people contact me and ask for permission to have it sung at their funeral or to sing it at another's. That's a compliment. Of course I give them permission.
Stan, isn't that song available on line. I could almost swear that I've heard it on a link you shared at some point.

DLodge

Post by DLodge » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:12 pm

Sorry, I forgot my good friend Google.

https://soundcloud.com/stanton-howe/sets/stan-howe

Topic author
StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:39 pm

WOW! That's a long time out now. That was one of the NPR interviews they did with songwriters and singers featuring western or "cowboy" singers. As you may know, I won the Western Music Association Songwriter of the year a couple times as well as the American Songwriter Magazine's Songwriter of the Year about the same time. The first round was both for Ridin' For The Family Brand, the second WMA was for this song, Take Me Back Along the Yellowstone. I wrote it in the late 80's, recorded it in the mid 90's so it's been around for awhile. I never got rich from it but I did get a lot of recognition and managed to parlay it into a pretty good personal appearance career for a few years. It's been recorded by a few people since, some I've never heard of and some from old friends who are still playing music. I actually got a royalty check a couple years ago for it.
I don't care so much about the money, it's just nice to hear people performing it 30+ years after I wrote it.

I think this is called thread drift.

I need to go back to the shop and try to finish an OF. Maybe, Maybe not.

Tonight I would sell the carburetor business to somebody pretty cheap. Some guy sent me $20 for a float cap 5 days ago and is all bent because he hasn't got it yet. I think I'm ready to figure out what I want to do when I grow up.

MWalker
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Walker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 Roadster Pickup
MTFCA Number: 314
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by MWalker » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:12 am

Unca' Stan -- I suggest that you sell your ranch and move to Tejas and play music for the duration. Sound like a plan? 8-)

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:20 am

Stan - you're a victim of Amazon's "one day shipping" mentality. I used to think two weeks shipping was pretty good.

I listened to your song "Yellowstone" and an interview you gave NPR.....Wow! You truly are a man of many talents!
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:30 am

Stan is quite the story teller also! I had the pleasure of meeting and spending some time with him at OCF. He had me in stitches telling me the TT story. Buzz, Buzz,Buzz! I havnt laughed so hard in a long time. Thank you Stan! Yes, many talents!

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:08 pm

Wonderful!
Kind of the same here, if I didn't like getting dressed up, I'd prefer jeans and a tee shirt. Plus a zip-up sweatshirt if it's cold out.
I don't have a suit anymore either... And for heaven sakes, take my shoes off but leave 'em in there with me.
Doggone it you guys, I had to restart my music to get Stan's song out of my head. Darn it, still there. Grows on ya quick Stan.
:)
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Bud Delong
First Name: Kenneth
Last Name: DeLong
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring,1915 roadster

Post by Bud Delong » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:21 pm

I wore Round House bibbs to church today and when i make that last mile it will be in Round House Bibbs!! :D Bud.

Topic author
StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:14 pm

I wrote this on my phone earlier today but as usual it wouldn't/didn't upload it to here so I'm doing it again. Just wasted 15 minutes trying to reset my password as it said I did not have access to this forum so jumped through the hoops and here it is for now. This may be the extent of either my luck or skill.

Bud, nobody would recognize you without your beard or your bibs. They would think they were at the wrong funeral.

I went to a funeral several years ago for a guy who was a good buyer at our car auctions. He was a notorious drinker, gambler, bar fighter, womanizer and general reprobate - dirty and unshaven and raced Studebakers but always paid cash at the end of the auction. I almost didn't recognize him clean shaven with a suit on. After the preacher spent about ten minutes extolling what a fine, upstanding, caring man this patriarch of the family was I poked the guy next to me and told him I thought we were at the wrong funeral. I still think we might have been.
Last edited by StanHowe on Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bud Delong

Post by Bud Delong » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:43 pm

Almost 60 years ago i was standing next to Pete Yoder during prayer when the worst stink ever drifted by!! Pete said in a low voice [it smell"s like someone sort of eased one out]!!!!! Bud. :oops:

Sarikatime
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Seress
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Towncar, 1915 Touring
MTFCA Number: 27707

Post by Sarikatime » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:44 pm

Bud, I have been totally floored by your music for the last two hours, fantastic. I think I was the only one in my high school in the sixties that listened to country western music and still love it. I have wondered to opera and classical since then but country is still closesest to my heart. Thank you. Frank

Bud Delong

Post by Bud Delong » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:15 pm

Sorry,That aint me,that music is from Stan!! :oops: Bud.

Topic author
StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:04 pm

Thanks, I apparently have a glitch in my phone or here or somewhere, can't get on from my phone, had to change my password here, etc. Who would ever thought that old guys fooling with 100 year old cars would be spending their last years downloading protocols from the Internet to try and restore their service so they could comment about 100 year old cars?

Topic author
StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:13 pm

Just had to change it again!!!!!!!!!

Duey_C
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup

Post by Duey_C » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:29 pm

:lol: Love that funeral story!
Oh oh, maybe time to clear the cache on your machines. My old Samsung phone was easy to do and needed it regularly.
I can't figure out how on the new Motorola phone tho.

Angmar
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Bailey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 50335
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Angmar » Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:09 pm

Great song and good memories, thanks for sharing.
Still crankin old iron

ThreePedalTapDancer
First Name: Ed
Last Name: Martin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1909 Touring

Post by ThreePedalTapDancer » Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:39 pm

88070635-02D0-4AFF-9A79-DF4BE6E20DA0.jpeg

2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 0
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by 2nighthawks » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:10 pm

A "thought" just occurred to me! (....oh,oh!) Nowadays, duct tape comes in various colors besides just the ol' familiar silvery gray color. Howscome they don't offer duct tape in various shades of rust? Sheesh! Just think of the possibilities,......harold

AdminJeff
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Stevenson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50006
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by AdminJeff » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:29 am

StanHowe wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:39 pm
WOW! That's a long time out now. That was one of the NPR interviews they did with songwriters and singers featuring western or "cowboy" singers. As you may know, I won the Western Music Association Songwriter of the year a couple times as well as the American Songwriter Magazine's Songwriter of the Year about the same time. The first round was both for Ridin' For The Family Brand, the second WMA was for this song, Take Me Back Along the Yellowstone. I wrote it in the late 80's, recorded it in the mid 90's so it's been around for awhile. I never got rich from it but I did get a lot of recognition and managed to parlay it into a pretty good personal appearance career for a few years. It's been recorded by a few people since, some I've never heard of and some from old friends who are still playing music. I actually got a royalty check a couple years ago for it.
I don't care so much about the money, it's just nice to hear people performing it 30+ years after I wrote it.
I love it! You've got a great voice, that's a great song and a fun interview! I played keyboards in a pro country band for several years. I even rented my keyboard rig to Merle Haggard for a concert when I was in college. My current band is "The Zins" - www.thezins.com - it's a real treat a for me to still be playing with some famous dudes, especially after my stroke.

Such talent in this group if Model T'ers.
And don't let the random idiots stop you from creating your carb works of art. The Snowflakes are everywhere these days.

Jeff
Assistant WebSite Admin
1921 Model T Touring, 1930 Model A Roadster
Voltage Regulators, Starter & Generator Repair
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

Topic author
StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:03 pm

Thanks, as far as the most recent Andy hardy emailing insults because I didn't get his float cover nut mailed out on Amazon prime schedule and telling me what an sob I am etc, I spent years playing music in oil field bars, several years dealing with Jr high teenagers and almost 38 years and 427 auctions -- he's not the first and he probably won't be the last. He's going to tell all his friends not to do business with me and take his football and go home.
It doesn't bother me much.
If I went home in tears every time somebody said something to me I'd have been hiding under the bed crying.
I did take umbrage at him telling me he didn't give a ... about my daughter being home from college and me spending the day with her instead of making a twenty dollar part he ordered.
So it goes, just part of doing business, dealing with people.

When all the vendors are gone the guys like that won't see themselves as part of the reason.

Dallas Landers

Post by Dallas Landers » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:02 pm

" All his friends" both of them?

DLodge

Post by DLodge » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:51 pm

Dallas Landers wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:02 pm
" All his friends" both of them?
Yes, Dallas, but one of them is imaginary and he found the other one in the phone book.... :D

Bud Delong

Post by Bud Delong » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:10 pm

What"s a phone book?? :D Bud.

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:00 pm

I am always pleased to hear things that remind me why I don't do work for others.
Thanks
Rich
When did I do that?

Topic author
StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:18 pm

Yeah, although I have to say, I have about 2,000 customers world wide from Russian museums to Japanese Museums to shops in Argentina, Malta, Switzerland and many other countries in Europe and 99.9 are great. Overall, this is a good business and I still enjoy it even tho I don't get as much done as I used to in a day or a week or a year and have reduced my inventory by about half -- especially the expensive stuff -- since I started having more birthdays and the health problems I've had come with them. But mostly it's good. Only about 15% of what I do is Model T carbs since I only work on them up through Holley G, no NH, no L4, etc. I haven't taken in any rebuild work to speak of this past year, just selling off the inventory and trying to wade through the pile from last year's hospital stays and etc. About one in a dozen or so has already been through a shop or "rebuilt" and still won't run -- that's everything, not just T carbs. I'm trying to get the bench cleared to do one for a 1912 Pierce Arrow. Maybe by Monday I can start on it.

I also figure with all the other guys now rebuilding carburetors that ten years ago nobody but me thought could be or should be rebuilt there is no end of parts suppliers for all those parts that were made of unobtainium that I now have - at least usually - in stock. I assume they are also spending hours and hours standing in front of a lathe making parts and he can order one from one of them. I sell virtually no parts, I just make them for my own use and have trouble keeping up with that.

It's back to the shop, Christmas is over, the kids went back to their lives, Sandi is working today and is 100 miles away like always, I still didn't get the money in the mail for a carb I returned over three months ago,(just put an invoice in the box and I'll get a check out as soon as I get the carb) my birthday is Sunday and I'm taking one of my young friends to dinner so I'd better go put some money in the queue for January.

aDave
First Name: David
Last Name: Dufault
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915
MTFCA Number: 303

Post by aDave » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:48 pm

Sunday will be here in jig time...so as to not be late for your special day, I offer:
Happy Birthday giphy.gif
Happy Birthday giphy.gif (983.54 KiB) Viewed 13371 times

Topic author
StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:04 pm

Thank you! I am older than I thought I'd ever be and am amazed I am upright and mobile and able to work and whatever after the heart problems and the pacemaker and and and and and and.

As you probably know, I go teach or at least talk to the new people at auction school. (The guy who now owns the auction school started in his career working for me) My advice to them is if somebody wants to give you a hard time about something during the auction or tries to start an argument, first thing is ask yourself if he's right. If he is, correct it, apologize and move on. Otherwise, turn up the sound system a little and sell something. He will shut up and get told by the others in the crowd to shut up. Refuse to get drawn into a pissing match if it is at all possible. If you have to go deal with it, hand the mic to one of the other auctioneers so the auction doesn't stop, step down out of the back of the pickup, gather up your security staff and go confront them. Generally speaking, every other person at the auction is already tired of the jerk so you have plenty of backup. Whatever you do, don't argue on the mic. Twice in 37 1/2 years and 427 commercial auctions have I stepped down out of the pickup. Once when a guy grabbed my teenage girl clerk's arm and once when a guy started yelling and calling me names and refused to calm down, telling me we couldn't run the auction that way. First guy was off the property and banned from my auctions forever. Second guy understood who was in charge better after we had a discussion. We didn't throw him out but he had two security people and a deputy pretty close the rest of the day. Sold another 250 cars and hours of parts and next day did the same. Two days, 471 cars, hundred engines, 2-300 wheels, etc. Like anything, very small percentage but there are always a few people .......

Topic author
StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:17 pm

Anyway, that's probably enough of this deal. I spent the last three hours making a jig to wind the return springs on the chokes on Stromberg OF's. I had a jig earlier but never did like the end result so I made another one. Then I spent an hour winding six springs. But now, I should be able to crank one out about every few minutes if I was really in a hurry. So it's worth it. I probably could sell some but it takes as long to type an invoice, package it and mail it for a few dollar spring as it does for a thousand dollar carburetor. So I don't sell them. I have about a dozen OF's in process, been making parts, powder coating, racking them up so when I get started I can actually get them done without stopping to make a part.

Back to the shop. Maybe a little nap first.

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Post by perry kete » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:33 pm

Let me be the second to say Happy Birthday. I contacted your local fire department and they are now on stand-by so it's OK to light the candles on your cake! :lol:

720597.gif
720597.gif (13.35 KiB) Viewed 13320 times

My son's birthday is on Sunday too.
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

DLodge

Post by DLodge » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:14 pm

Stan, I can never remember if I'm a little older than you are or you're a little older than I am. Either way, I just stand back when my birthdays go by and give a brief nod. Then I go back to whatever I was doing. Hope you have a good day.

fschrope
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Schrope
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923, 1926, 1927 TT's, 1918 cutoff touring, 1922 Coupe - original

Post by fschrope » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:32 am

DLodge wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:14 pm
Stan, I can never remember if I'm a little older than you are or you're a little older than I am. Either way, I just stand back when my birthdays go by and give a brief nod. Then I go back to whatever I was doing. Hope you have a good day.
Since no one else seems to be replying, I will. Stan is a '42 Model. I"m a '43 and Dick, IIRC, you're just postwar. Right? No biggie, we're all "Ole Farts"..........and love it.

KeithG
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Gumbinger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 Touring, '26 RPU, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
MTFCA Number: 4661
MTFCI Number: 6866

Post by KeithG » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:15 pm

From one old fart to another, Happy Birthday, Stan! IIRC, I'm a little older than you are, but who cares. I hope you have a nice birthday and can spend some time with your loved ones.

Best wishes,

Keith
'14 Touring, '26 Roadster Pickup, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
Motto: It's hard to build a garage that's tooooo big! :D

DLodge

Post by DLodge » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:28 pm

fschrope wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:32 am
Since no one else seems to be replying, I will. Stan is a '42 Model. I"m a '43 and Dick, IIRC, you're just postwar. Right? No biggie, we're all "Ole Farts"..........and love it.
Nope, Fred. Six weeks to the day before Pearl Harbor. Definitely a '41 model.... :D

Topic author
StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:29 pm

Yeah, you're right. I'll be 77 tomorrow, December 29th.

2nighthawks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster

Post by 2nighthawks » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:27 pm

Hi Stan - I'll "chime in" here with a "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" to you also! Thought I'd let you know that we're about the same age, except that I've got you and the other guys here beat as I'm a "41 model", and I'm told that my dad brought my mom and I home from the hospital on "Pearl Harbor Day", December 7, 1941! Also, to let you know Stan,....awhile back you alluded to the fact that you've had some heart trouble this last year,.....well, me too!!! I had open heart surgery last July 26th, a triple bypass and a "Watchman" clip installed on my heart as well. Apparently, a great cardiologist and great surgeon too, as I was told that I'd be feeling pretty darn close to "normal" by about Christmas time, and guess what? They were right,....I feel great! Hope you're doing as well as I am, and again,....."HAPPY BIRTHDAY", and I hope & pray that we'll both have many more! Again, just thought you like to know that you're not alone with this heart business, and that you'd maybe like to know that I'm doing great and you"ll never get as old as me! :lol: Take care Stan, and I hope to see you at the EARLY BIRD swap meet at the Showplex at the Puyallup Fair Grounds in a few weeks,......harold

2nighthawks

Post by 2nighthawks » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:34 pm

.....oops! Just re-read a bit more carefully Stan, and I see that Dick Lodge is even older than both of us!

Topic author
StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:07 pm

Harold, I'm planning at this point to come out to the Earlybird. It's the same weekend as the Lethbridge Early Bird which I also enjoy but my oldest brother is in Tacoma, just talked to him the other night and he wants me to come out. He is 87 1/2, still sharp mentally but physically he's not as tough as he was at 30 for sure. Walking with a walker and can't see well enough to drive. He used to go buy and sell at the meet but the last ten or twelve years he just likes to go. So I'm planning on coming out. Probably be there Thursday, go to the meet for awhile Friday and again Saturday, I can't walk all day and neither can he, nap time comes about Judge Judy time for him or earlier.

His daughter lives in Puyallup, she is an attorney for Pierce County.

If I can get the project rounded up to happen I'm planning on bring my newly acquired Earthmaster Tractor along to show him. You may remember that he had one of the biggest garden and compact crawler collections on the west coast but gave a lot of it away and sold the rest of it a few years ago. He has none left but still likes the little tractors.

I may just come out to the swap meet and then go back out later for the tractor/show in Shelton. I wish he was healthy enough to come over for my antique car/truck/tractor/haying equipment show in late June but I don't know about that. We will have my tractors and balers out and working, cut hay with my 1960 Case swather and an AC B with a sickle bar mower, rake it with side delivery rakes and then bale it with my 1960's Allis Chalmers Rotobaler, John Deere 116W sidewinder wire tie baler and an IHC 47 twine only from 1964 that I bought last summer. Should be fun.

I'm looking for a Minneapolis Moline walking foot pickup baler from the 50's. Looks like a Rube Goldberg deal and they never sold many of them but they were a good baler. Goofy to watch, tho. I've looked for years for one of the Olivers that used wire, it fed automatically but the guy on the other side sat on a seat and tied them to make the bales. Also would like an old Case 42W hand tie baler. I hated them when I was a kid but wouldn't mind having one now. I helped a guy make 300 wires for a steam show several years ago.

I'll have my T Coupe there, my AA truck and have about 20 tractors + there will be a lot of friends bringing theirs. Pre 50's cars and trucks, tractors and equipment, etc.

Better load up the T and come on over. You can give rides around the neighborhood, I have acres of parking for motorhomes or trailers and could use help doing all this. You can drive a tractor too, if you want.

Back to the shop, my feet are warmer now. I'll let you know as soon as we figure out a date for the gathering at my place.

1940 Ford 9N, 1946 Ford 9N, 1950 Ford 8N, 1954 Ford NAA, 1955 Ford 600, 1955 Ford 641 Workmaster, 1958 Ford 801, 1972 Ford 4000, 1939 AC B, 1948 AC B, 2 - 1950 Case S, 1948 Ferguson, 1954 IHC 300 Utility, 1950 AC WD45, 1948 Oliver 60, 1957 Barnett, 1948 Earthmaster and a couple more.

Topic author
StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:18 pm

Earthmaster!! Made in Berkely, Ca for a few years beginning in 1947. This one is either late 47 or early 48, no hydraulics. Pretty nice original, missing a couple pieces of tin and needs back tires but I have them ordered.
2019 11 27 thanksgiving ranch 011.JPG

otrcman
Last Name: Fischer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring

Post by otrcman » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:42 pm

Well, Stan, since we're all coming out of the closet regarding our ages, I'm compelled to report that I arrived on this earth exactly 57 days ahead of you. November 2, 1942.

I have mixed emotions about growing older. The ride has been great, but I'm not so sure I like the destination.

Dick

fschrope
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Schrope
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923, 1926, 1927 TT's, 1918 cutoff touring, 1922 Coupe - original

Post by fschrope » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:40 pm

DLodge wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:28 pm
fschrope wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:32 am
Nope, Fred. Six weeks to the day before Pearl Harbor. Definitely a '41 model.... :D
Opps, sorry about that.

Stan - tell us more about your "Deal" in late June. Is it in Helena or your ranch? It would be a nice vacation for the wife and I - again.

Topic author
StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:43 pm

It will be at my little ranch between Helena and Townsend, not at Westmore where you picked up the truck.
2019 11 27 thanksgiving ranch 006.JPG

Jem
First Name: Jem
Last Name: Bowkett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 Touring #9267

Post by Jem » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:39 am

Seems I'm only a puppy in this company, model year 1948. But I have the triple bypass, 7 stents & a pacemaker. And a Ferguson tractor.

Happy Birthday, Stan.

Bud Delong

Post by Bud Delong » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:03 am

Just a kid at 74 but for those who remember [sell the bicycle]!! :D Bud.

MWalker
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Walker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 Roadster Pickup
MTFCA Number: 314

Post by MWalker » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:58 am

Happy Birthday, Unca' Stan.

Dallas Landers

Post by Dallas Landers » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:28 am

Happy Birthday Stan!!!

Duey_C

Post by Duey_C » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:17 pm

Happy Birthday sir!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic