AC brakes ?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Nv Bob
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Middleton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 roadster 1810 brand X

AC brakes ?

Post by Nv Bob » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:43 pm

Ok had a set around here and just put them on a car
Had add a spacer bolt to get the bottom shoe away from the drum.
As i move the lever forward it contacts on drum but in releasing it doese completely free up until wheel is turned is this normal
Also the showe adjusmt nuts are missing i had one that looks right but need suggestion for a matched set
Would an aircraft ensa bolt work??
Attachments
20191221_142409.jpg

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: AC brakes ?

Post by Mark Gregush » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:08 am

I think your release problem may be because the springs are mounted wrong see this posting and there should be a return spring to pull the lever back when the brakes are released. (?)
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/59 ... 1468453589
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:49 am

The picture in the thread that Mark posted is of my original installation of my brakes. I have since shortened the lower spring to give more even braking action between the upper and lower parts of the brake band. I also added a couple of supplementary release springs that act directly on the lever, see the attached pic. The spring in the picture turned out to be too strong for my liking, so I replaced it later with a weaker spring.

Just experiment with different springs until you get a good compromise between brake release and pedal effort.

The late Jack Daron recommended using old valve springs as return springs, they are a bit stronger and will give better release action. I have not tried his idea yet. :)
Attachments
IMG_0355.jpg
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

Topic author
Nv Bob
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Middleton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 roadster 1810 brand X

Post by Nv Bob » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:33 pm

Mark there is no room for a spring on bottom side and still use the back leverage keeper bolt at the outside end of the car
So i rig up a return spring as suggested on the lever now levers are set up for cables not sure why most everything I read says to covert to steel rods

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic