Motor Mica ???

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
George Andreasen
First Name: George
Last Name: Andreasen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 0...building from parts

Motor Mica ???

Post by George Andreasen » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:27 am

I've known about "Motor Mica" for years as I use it in my cartridge reloading hobby.........but never knew exactly HOW it was used in a "motor". Today I stumbled across an old can on Ebay and the label caught my eye.

"Excellent for Ford transmission bands. Add proportional amount to oil (whatever that means). For best results pour directly over bands after changing old oil".

Now, I'm paraphrasing a bit but those were the instructions. So, this stuff was marketed as a band lubricant for the model T, but did it actually work and improve the transmission performance? Has anyone had any experience with it? Note: Motor Mica is NOT graphite, which would short out the magneto.

Corey Walker
First Name: Corey
Last Name: Walker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 runabout, 1921 homemade truck, 1921 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 51502
Board Member Since: 2007

Re: Motor Mica ???

Post by Corey Walker » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:44 am

This accessory came to mind. Only way I can see it would get directed exactly where it was wanted.
Attachments
CAB3BC65-325E-48DA-8056-1D88C6E8FF07.jpeg
Corey Walker, Brownsboro, Texas

Topic author
George Andreasen
First Name: George
Last Name: Andreasen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 0...building from parts

Post by George Andreasen » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:51 am

So that thing distributes GREASE to the bands?? Nice.......would turn your 30 wt to 40 wt in no time. Reminds me of a solution in search of a problem....

Motor Mica is a very fine mica powder and very slick, just like graphite, but doesn't conduct electricity. However, I would imagine too much of it would coat the entire inside of the engine and maybe "sludge up" the oil. In effect you're just "adding an additive" to the oil that it didn't have originally.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:55 am

George

Motor Mica is sometimes refered to as White Graphite. It has the same molecular structure as graphite, but isn't graphite; it is hexagonal boron nitride, a high temperature lubricant.

Of course, I do not know what is actually in the can that is for sale, nor would I know what a "proportional amount" would be. However, if I owned the stuff, I'd take every opportunity to leave it in the can.

;)
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:05 pm

For fun, I did a quick search for this stuff as it applies to old cars and found this: https://books.google.com/books?id=1K2Ep ... ne&f=false
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic