Ignition Coils

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Danteb
First Name: Dante
Last Name: Berkheimer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 roadster pick up

Ignition Coils

Post by Danteb » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:37 pm

My brother and I have recently purchased a 1926 Model T roadster pick up ( I think this is the correct term it is a convertible)
Unit was half restored and we are looking for advice on the ignition coils. Unit came with a all in one box (would not start FYI) and we wanted to put it back to original so we purchased 4 reman coils from Gaslight Auto Parts. Once installed we can not get them to ignite. We have 6.7 volts to bottom of the box, 6.7 volts coming out of the box at spark plug wires & 6.7 volts at spark plug still no hum or fire at plug. Any advice would be appreciated

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Ignition Coils

Post by Mark Gregush » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:06 pm

I suggest you buy an owners manual, Gas light should have one that cover your year. Learning terms and what parts are is part of the hobby so we can all be on the same page. At the least look up "mtfca; ignition system" on google or your search engine to get you started. Are you using a timer or? You would not have 6.7 volts coming out the spark plug wires. So without photos of how you are hooked up, or more information I think at this point might be hard to help.
Thanks Chris or Jeff for moving it.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/41 ... 1414969907
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:22 am

Good on you! Calling it a Roadster pickup is great! These guys and me love the pickups. :)
How's your timer/commutator? Clean? Or fairly clean? Clean it up and try again
You'll love the sound from that coil box and those four coils when you get it sorted. :)
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Luke
First Name: Luke
Last Name: P
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926

Post by Luke » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:13 am

Dante,

Mark has given very good advice, but I have a suspicion around what's happened...

If you look at your coils. the bottom connector is for the +6V feed, the top connector at the side is the ground (-6V), and the lower side connector is the EHT output to the spark plug.

These correlate to the coil box you've described thus:

(1) The very bottom lead underneath the box should be 6V from the ignition switch
(2) The lower row of the four side connections should go to each corresponding plug
(3) The upper row of the four side connections should go to the timer at the lower front of the motor

If you're getting 6V at the plugs it seems likely to me that you may have (2) and (3) transposed (ie. the upper row is connected to the plugs)? If so, swapping these around may be all you need to do to make the motor run,

With (3), if your wiring loom is tidy it should be obvious which leads go where, but if not you should follow Mark's suggestions and look for a diagram that will show you which of the timer connections/wires goes to which coil...

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:01 am

Good advice to new T owners is to get the manuals and study them to learn about basic Model T parts and how they function. By studying the manuals you can save yourself lots of time and learn what NOT to do with a a T.
The Model T service manual or the “bible” as T owners call it is a must have along with the MTFCA manuals for different aspects of the car.
Model T’s have 100 year old technology and it’s a relearning curve for some folks.

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:46 am

He said the car came with “an all in one box”. I’m thinking this is a “True Fire” or similar ignition system. He replaced that with regular coils, but didn’t mention doing anything with the timer or wiring... I think some of those “spurious” ignition systems include timer and/or wiring modifications that would prevent proper coil operation...

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:02 am

If I may, I would like to add to Adams post above, he is definitely correct, if it has Tru-Fire which it appears to have, it definitely has an entirely different "thing" down in the commutator cover. He will need to "gut" it, and indeed if I remember from my former '20 that had T.F., there is a slight difference in the wiring up to the posts on the firewall. Likewise, he needs to BE SURE to verify if
it even HAS a magneto! Much to my surprise, on my 20, there was NONE. I suspect this is often why someone converts to the electronic ignition gizmos, either due to a dead mag, or the total absence of one. Just my two cents.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:44 am

IMG_4094.JPG
A bunch of experienced Model T guys couldn't figure out how come there was no spark...

IMG_4094 copy 2.JPG
...until Verne came back from lunch and pointed out what we obviously had wrong.

TIMER.jpg
TIMER.jpg (63.67 KiB) Viewed 5483 times
This shows correct wiring with a normal timer.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:22 pm

Dante, please take the lid off the coil box and take a picture of what is inside, that will settle whether it is Ford standard coils or some aftermarket box.

If you're feeling brave, please also remove the timer cover and take a picture of the inside of the cover and the timer rotor on the front of the camshaft.

Without seeing what you have, we can only guess on how to help. :)
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:20 pm

Steve your close up of the coil box wires shows how things can get upside down without thinking about it!
I had to look twice or so before I caught on what’s upside down. Guess I’m getting old and slow. Good point to bring up though. Those simple things can drive you nuts sometimes.

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:37 pm

Mark, you're right, he should definitely remove the timer cover. Cause as I still bet with Adam, that it had a Tru Fire setup in the coil box orignally, that he just removed, thinking by only putting in 4 "standard coils" would do the trick. Not possible. The T.F. electronic rotor mechanism will have to be removed, and some preferred form of timer rotor installed, and again, it seems to me there's a slight difference with the wires going up to the firewall. Seems mine had one going from some coil post to ground but it evades my lame brain now, as I haven't owned the car in over a year.

And assuming this is the case, as I said, then he has to figure out WHY it had the T.F. in the first place. Faulty mag? Or no mag? Or just maybe the former owner wanted the experience. When working well, the T.F. does perform nicely. Enuf said.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:33 pm

As far as I recall, the only deviation from the standard wiring when fitting my True fire was the addition of an earth wire. All that should be needed is to remove this. Otherwise, changing the rotor button and electronic timer for a standard roller/brush type timer is all that is needed.

Allan from down under.

Topic author
Danteb

Post by Danteb » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:21 pm

Thanks for all the advice, we are working on unit tomorrow and I will advise..
Happy New Year!

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:04 pm

I would suggest that you do a continuity test and the timer wiring. Disconnect all of them from the coil box test each one individually by hand cranking the engine; If good connections no need to remove the timer cover. Not sure if this would work on T coils but works on distributor condenser. If you test for continuity of the coil with a multimeter (this action actually puts a charge into the coils condenser) see below...
READ THIS so you don't shock yourself regardless of testing the coils https://www.ifixit.com/Wiki/Troubleshho ... components

Basically To test the capacitor with a multimeter, set the meter to read in the high ohms range, somewhere above 10k and 1m ohms. Touch the meter leads to the corresponding leads on the capacitor (T coil), red to positive and black to negative. The meter should start at zero and then moving slowly toward infinity. This means that the capacitor is in working condition. If the meter stays at zero, the capacitor is not charging through the battery of the meter, meaning it is not working.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Topic author
Danteb

Post by Danteb » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:37 pm

Looks like we are on our way to getting the T running.
Thanks to Brent Mize for his help with the coils, timer and house call.
Correct on the conversion of the true fire, we had to convert timer back to original option and we got her to fire.

Again thanks to everyone for your input. Looking forward to this project..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic