....Riding the short buss....!!!

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Cigarboxrob
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Frankel

....Riding the short buss....!!!

Post by Cigarboxrob » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:40 am

....Good morning, all!

....Good morning, Model T...

....What’s that all over the floor?

....Coolant? For me? You shouldn’t have!

*Grumbles.*

Okay, let’s see if this new switch is any good-Presto! *Rrr-Ruggg-Rrrrrrugggg....Smoke.*

Okay, starter-Let’s see something-YEEEEOOOOWWWWCHH!!!!

That terminal is *red-hot!*

So? As someone suggested, I may have a bad buss.

Before I order a bunch of parts for the starter, I’ll just say that I don’t have specialized electrical tools nor a lathe-I’ve heard that Ron does an *amazing* rebuild, so if it comes down to it, I’d go that route.....But? Once the Buss bar goes bad, is there a way to re-solder and clean it to see if it’s suspect? Or? Do I have to spend the $60.00 or so for the Lang’s part and lose the additional time and money?

Thoughts?

Dave Young
First Name: David
Last Name: Young
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Touring, 26 RPU, 24 Coupe, 26 Speedster, 28 Chandler, 29 Chandler, 29 A

Re: ....Riding the short buss....!!!

Post by Dave Young » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:55 am

Bob, I'll put this out there again... My name is Dave Young (not Mike, as you suggested). I live in Mays Landing. I have 6 of these old buggies. I'm willing to come help you sort out this car. Having a functional starting system isn't really necessary at this point. Fuel, spark and timing matter. I have followed your posts and understand that a title issue exists. Anyhow, me and some buddies are driving our T's down to Wildwood this afternoon to have a late lunch at Mudhen Brewing. It's only an 80 mile round trip. Stop by and have a beer. I'll be driving my '26 RPU.

Dave Young
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Touring, 26 RPU, 24 Coupe, 26 Speedster, 28 Chandler, 29 Chandler, 29 A

Post by Dave Young » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:57 am

Shoot me a text sometime today. 609 289 0677

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:31 am

If it is hard to crank over, by hand or starter; could be the bands are too tight also check to make sure it is really going into neutral. Pull the door off and make sure the fingers are loose when you pull the hand brake lever back. Reading everything you have posted re cranking sounds like something is dragging in the transmission area. Also make sure the link between the low pedal and arm is in place. Another thing to check, jack the rear end up, does not matter which side, with the plugs out, hand brake lever forward, is it still hard to crank over using the hand crank? In the description I do not see anything that suggest that the rods were taken up or new rings were installed only something about valve work being done. Could also be that the starter was on it's last leg and has just giving up. If it is the starter and not an issue with dragging, you can still use the hand crank.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Bud Delong
First Name: Kenneth
Last Name: DeLong
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring,1915 roadster

Post by Bud Delong » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:57 am

Back in the day people would use a snap gauge called that because it snapped over the starter wire and it would tell you what the amp draw was from the starter.The books would tell you starter drag hot or cold and it took a lot of guess work out of finding starter problems.Many years ago Ron provided amp ratings for the starter [normal conditions]. :D Bud.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:41 pm

If it is a problem with the starter, it can be one or more of many things...or just one thing...as in, it's 85 years old and it's shot. By your self-description of accumen and tools, it is a fairly safe bet to say that any money spent on parts would be better spent purchasing a good starter from someone who rebuilds them. There is more to it than some electrical tape and solder.

This is not opinion, as I've done many and until you've done one, a person cannot imagine the pitfalls that can await them. Photos below are included only to show I am not spouting guesses or opinion as to the work involved. It is NOT an ad or solicitation for work. From ANYONE. It is quite a job which entails far more than one would suspect. With tools, tooling, machinery, specialty test equipment and knowledge, it's not so bad. I thought for awhile that I'd do these as a service to the hobby, but there are enough people with years of name recognition in the hobby doing this work already, that for me, it just wasn't a good use of my time to be one more competitor driving the price down just to get their beak wet. In any event, no one gets rich doing this stuff and for those worried about spending the $$$, for the money these things presently fetch, the guy you chose to do it is all but giving you a gift...

this is a buss bar in the starter and how it's made:
Terminal bolt buss bar forming tool & assembly.jpg
coils reformed and rewrapped:
PA250057.JPG
completed buss installation on rewrapped coils:
PA110013.JPG
completed job including (among many other things) straightened shaft, straightened casting and new bendix bushing:
PA150051.JPG
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
Cigarboxrob

Post by Cigarboxrob » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:14 pm

....Small world/Small State!

....It was great meeting both Dave and Scott today-And realizing that I’d met Dave and Cathy a few years back! Your cars are *amazing,* and my colleagues *all* fell in love with the two lovely Model T’s on the way to my small island!

....I’ll be working on Model T events with our dealership...And the owner *loved* the patina on Scott’s lovely Touring!

Dave Young

Post by Dave Young » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:11 pm

Nice meeting you today, Rob. Whenever you're ready, we can run through a very systematic approach of reducing drag on the driveline, cleaning the sediment bulb, removing and cleaning the carb, setting the retarded timing, doing a compression test and verifying spark at the plugs, all in a matter of an hour or so. At that point, 3 choke pulls and then a few with the ignition on should have her running.

We can quickly determine if it has a mag or not just by removing the mag post and looking in the hole. The starter my work fine once we confirm the clutch and band settings. If it doesn't, money/time is best spent on the generator first anyway. Being a distributor car, you need voltage to power the ignition.

If you decide to keep this car, try not to look at the entire ball of flaws as something that all needs to be fixed at once. Plenty of T's run around without a top installed. Piece by piece, the car can become mechanically dependable and enjoyed. It truly never ends and your stack of "Lang's Reciepts" will get pretty damn thick. All of my cars were supposedly "excellent" when I bought them and "terrible" once I dug deeper into them. I'd drive them absolutely anywhere now if I had the time.

Topic author
Cigarboxrob

Post by Cigarboxrob » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:39 am

....Dave, I appreciate the offer for help!

....If you can swing by one Sunday or Wednesday, let’s get her sorted out! As mentioned, I had to spend *double* my sales tax rate, but it looks like Vermont will issue registration and tags as an: “Out-Of-State” applicant in the next two weeks. To anyone stuck with a: “Bad auction car,” it seems that you can register in Vermont-The bad news? Even if all you have is a *frame,* you have to pay a minimum sales tax of 7% on $10,000.00-Plus an additional series of fees.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic