26/27 Transmission Clutch/Brake Drum to Early Transmission

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
fbergski
First Name: Philip
Last Name: Berg
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring 1916 Coupelet

26/27 Transmission Clutch/Brake Drum to Early Transmission

Post by fbergski » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:11 pm

In the process of repairing the transmission out of my 11 touring, the original clutch/brake drum has worn lugs and I don't feel good about filing them. I do have a very nice 26/27 drum that I want to use instead. I know that I have to turn the wider drum down and use different clutch discs. What else is involved ? Do I have to use the three thrust washers? What about the inner clutch drum two or six hole version? Do I still use the early thick plate?

Thanks,

Philip

Stephen_heatherly
First Name: Stephen
Last Name: Heatherly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 coupe and 23 Runabout

Re: 26/27 Transmission Clutch/Brake Drum to Early Transmission

Post by Stephen_heatherly » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:32 pm

You will need to use a later clutch hub with the three thrust washers. You will not need the thick disc anymore. I think the wide brake drum will fit in the pan without modifying anything. You will also need a 26/27 driven plate. The earlier one will not work on the wide drum.

Stephen

J1MGOLDEN
First Name: James
Last Name: Golden
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Model T Roadster
MTFCA Number: 14294
MTFCI Number: 13562

Re: 26/27 Transmission Clutch/Brake Drum to Early Transmission

Post by J1MGOLDEN » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:04 pm

I have an original July 1925 engine that has the transmission cover ears and the wide brake drum.

I was surprised to notice the bolts that hold the back plate to the drum assembly had just large round flat screw heads.

A little later in 1926, the bolts were elongated, as the hex head could not turn inside the wider brake drum area.

I suspected those longer bolts did not have the required clearance to use with the 1925 oil pan, but I have not checked.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic