Spark coil maintenance

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Spark coil maintenance

Post by jiminbartow » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:25 pm

The spark coils on my ‘26 coupe were adjusted years ago by Ron the Coilman and work fine, but I have never cleaned them or performed any maintenance. Is there any type of maintenance that should be performed on them to prevent corrosion and wear, prolong their life and increase their performance? Happy New Year. Jim Patrick

MKossor
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Kossor
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Touring
MTFCI Number: 22706

Re: Spark coil maintenance

Post by MKossor » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:06 pm

Jim, coils do require periodic maintenance and adjustment for equal and consistent firing time. Consider sending your coils to Erik Larson (www.modeltcoils.com) or Brent Mize (www.coildocter.com) to have them tuned up. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the performance when you get them back. Just be sure to handle them very carefully not to miss adjust the points when you reinstall them.
I-Timer + ECCT Adjusted Coils = Best Model T Engine Performance Possible!
www.modeltitimer.com www.modeltecct.com

Moxie26
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Jablonski
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 407
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Moxie26 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:53 am

Happy New Year James..... Just as Mike suggested, any and I mean Any undo physical pressure to the top hardware and points WILL change the electrical properties all that coil set by testing equipment. That undue pressure can come from the coils being tossed during shipment, or just by the person removing or installing coils in the coil box.

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:07 pm

No, don't touch them. If you see some material transfer between the points or you are feeling like a tune up is due then send them to a competent coil guy or take them to a club meeting where you can have some experienced help with the proper tools and tester, but regular owner performed maintenance on coils should be avoided.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic