Looking for seat upholstery reference photos

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Mark Osterman
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Osterman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 runabout

Looking for seat upholstery reference photos

Post by Mark Osterman » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:59 pm

The recent seat upholstery needs some tweaking on the seat back assembly of my 1923 runabout. There was a problem when the local upholsterer took over when the cold weather set in and I felt I couldn’t do it in my cold garage. The result was that certain things were not lining up the way they should and also the orientation of the buttons on the interior sides was not right. The good news is that they screwed up by tacking the top of the upholstery material first. This resulted in all the extra material on the bottom which they didn’t trim. Usually the bottom would be tacked and the material pulled up to the top and the excess trimmed away. So, I can take it off, re attach it from the bottom and work from the bottom upwards to make things right.

I would really like to get some pictures of original seats both with the cushion on .. and the cushion off. Not looking for new upholstery shots, just new shots of original survivor upholstery. Or .. vintage shots showing upholstery. The seats are the mid 1920s type with vertical pleats. The arm rest has the small stamped steel end piece.

If anyone can provide new pictures of an original installation could you please contact me directly through my email at mosterman@eastman.org because I would like to ask for specific shots and details. I really appreciate any help. The work won’t happen until warmer weather, but I plan to write and illustrate the procedure of doing this installation. It will help others in the future.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Re: Looking for seat upholstery reference photos

Post by DanTreace » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:04 am

Mark

These may help, pulled these copies from earlier forum posts. Are '24 but '23 would be most similar. At least shows horizontal line of the back rest upholstery buttons and outer top corner on original material.

1924modeltcalitop45.jpg
Attachments
100_6725 - Copy (500x375).jpg
100_6725 - Copy (500x375).jpg (114.45 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Re: Looking for seat upholstery reference photos

Post by Original Smith » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:34 am

Mark: I admire your determination! I wish more members would be like that. The one that really upsets me is the placement of the rear windows in 1917-1925 touring cars and roadsters. I took an adult school class in automobile upholstery, and learned a lot. If I was younger, I probably would have gone into the upholstery business full time, but at this point it's just a hobby. What baffles me is I don't understand why shops that do upholstery every day have more trouble than I did!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic