Help identifying Make, Model, Year

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
DaveDLB
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Green

Help identifying Make, Model, Year

Post by DaveDLB » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:04 pm

Hello All -- Trying to identify the Make, Model, Year etc of the attached photo. I'm working ancestry issues but looked enough that this is a Model T but was hoping you all could confirm and maybe tell me more info like the model, exact year, etc? Thank you! - Dave
Attachments
Old Car
Old Car

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Re: Help identifying Make, Model, Year

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:18 pm

No, it's not a Ford. From the style I would guess early to mid-twenties. I can't tell you whether it's Dodge Brothers, Star, Chevrolet, etc. I would go to Google images and look up photos of various makes during those years and compare details to see if you find a car that matches.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

HornsRus
First Name: Charley
Last Name: Shaver
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913

Post by HornsRus » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:37 pm

looks a lot like my 1919 paige.charley

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:55 pm

Would help to know where and when the picture may have been taken. Looking at the Internet I found a very interesting site that has pictures of many make/model cars from the 1890's to 1929 https://www.earlyamericanautomobiles.com/1915.htm
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Topic author
DaveDLB

Post by DaveDLB » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:09 pm

This picture is from a farm in rural Adams County Pennsylvania within 10 miles of Gettysburg. The younger people in the photo are my Great Aunt (born 1906) and Uncle (born 1902) who were both raised on a farm. So I assume the picture the two younger people makes them less then 16 years of age. If so the Car would be around 1920. Appreciate the help and sorry for my lack of knowledge in this area. Been looking at google pics and will continue. Thanks again.

- Dave

Rob
First Name: Rob
Last Name: Heyen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Models B, F, K, N, Ford racer and 3 Model T

Post by Rob » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:35 pm

Dave,
If you have and wish to post their names, I may be able to find an article or two mentioning their auto. Local town would help too.
Good luck,
Rob

HornsRus
First Name: Charley
Last Name: Shaver
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913

Post by HornsRus » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:45 pm

its a very large car.my paige is 127" wheel base.charley

Topic author
DaveDLB

Post by DaveDLB » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:09 pm

The owners of the vehicle were Liz and John Kerr and they were visiting my relatives farm near Gettysburg. My guess the Kerr's were from Baltimore, Gettysburg, or possibly Berks County which is near Philadelphia. Note that the spelling was not an exact science then, I have pictures showing their name Kerr and Curr but often you will find it spelled Kehr, Kurr, etc.

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:29 pm

Reminds me of the old Studebakers but I can't be sure. Here is a '22:
22Studebaker.jpg
When did I do that?

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:53 pm

I didn't know that you had a Paige Charley! I don't think this is a Paige however. Paige had a very distinctive hubcap from about 1915 into the early '20s. Although they varied slightly through those years (aluminum or nickel plated brass), the basic shape had a large round area behind the smaller hex and script. Also, the fenders do not look like the Paiges I have seen from that era.
The fenders do look like what Studebaker used. About 1913, Studebaker and Pierce Arrow became the two first manufacturers (of a significant number of automobiles) to use a significant compound curve stamping on their fenders. Only a few car companies were using such fenders before 1920, and quite a few didn't switch from the flat curves with rolled seams and beads until about 1923 (including Lincoln). A lot of cars did have slight compound curves, including the model T Ford in 1917, but full rounded fenders with an inch or more full depth didn't become the common thing until the early/mid '20s. Studebaker on some models also had three hood latches on each side, as this car appears to have. I would guess somewhere from 1919 to 1922 (can't see the windshield variation that would narrow it down?)

And I see Rich E beat me to the Studebaker identification. (I type slow.)

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:24 pm

I think Richard E nailed it being a Studebaker going by the pic he posted. The hood and door handles and how they are spaced are exactly right the way I see them.

jerry knouse
First Name: jerry
Last Name: knouse
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1
MTFCA Number: 30978

Post by jerry knouse » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:50 am

Not sure of car, but had ancestors all over Adams County - Knouse, Wolf, Altland, and March. I have some history on these families if there is connection and [ or ] interest please email me.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:46 pm

Too many Touring cars in that era look alike. There are some features that might confirm the make/model. The one that stands out is the position of handle on the hood. Not sure if there is one behind the man's hand - looks like it
Attachments
DBLG.png
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Topic author
DaveDLB

Post by DaveDLB » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:05 am

Yeah your right, learning quite a bit and very difficult to determine manufacturer and year. Thank you all for your expertise, time and responses, its greatly appreciated. Regards,

- Dave

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic