new guy intro

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Wayfarer
First Name: Cory
Last Name: Woerth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 engine on a stand, Canadian '23 center door
Board Member Since: 2020

new guy intro

Post by Wayfarer » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:17 pm

first post here. I've wanted a T since working on them in college, finally decided to start shopping at Thanksgiving time. While I've been looking for that *just right* car, I picked up a December '25 engine on a stand, to mess with. I'm hoping to collect the stuff, and have it running, or close to it, in the next couple weeks.
I'm going to give image posting a try here, so bear with me

[img]https://postimg.cc/7bFKjjbt/img]

Hap_Tucker
First Name: Hap
Last Name: Tucker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 cut off touring; 1918 touring; 1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 100
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Re: new guy intro

Post by Hap_Tucker » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:13 pm

Cory,

Welcome to the affliction as many of us say....

I'll repost your photo as I'm not sure if it will show up 2 years from now with the URL way you added it. It might, I just don't know. And you can click on the photo below and it will be much larger.
Engine -.jpg
I like your engine stand - it looks very solid. I could not read the serial number on the engine but a Dec 1925 engine would be a 1926 model year engine. And it appears your engine has the bolts to hold the transmission cover to the rear of the engine block. If there are not any holes on the block for the bolts to screw into then the block is likely to be earlier than Dec 1925. It also has the wider low pedal and brake pedal that were introduced with the 1926 model year USA cars.

Note the cylinder head also has the 1926 - 1927 style water outlet that would have held the fan on a 1926-27 engine. But it is incomplete and the fan is missing. It appears that your engine has the earlier 1917-1925 fan arm and an early 1917-20ish fan and fan hub pulley.

Lang's has a lot of pictures and illustrations of parts in their catalog. For example the fan arm is Lang's part 3967BU (they often use the same part number or very similar part number as the Ford Price List of Parts from back in the day.) The part is shown at: https://www.modeltford.com/item/3967BU.aspx

There is a posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/cgi-bin/discus/sho ... post=90634 that discusses getting an engine going again after a long hibernation. That same posting has the link to e Milt Web's article taking a car out of mouthballs -- but that link no longer goes to that article so recommend you us the following link: which includes some good advice on that same subject. Please see his article at http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/8538.html and someone converted it to Microsoft Word ducument at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/70 ... 762335.doc

And be careful -- you can break your arm if you hand crank it and the timing is not retarded properly. And the carburetors normally leak gas -- so don't leave the carburetor where if it drips gas it will cause a fire (i.e. near a gas fired home water heater.)

Again, welcome to the fun and there is a good chance there are some folks not too far from you that can also offer advice and encouragement. Check out the chapter listings at: https://www.mtfca.com/clubpages/chapters.htm and also https://www.modelt.org/chapter-listing.html

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:11 pm

How that reminds me of my first Model T engine. It was happily covered in rust and solid grease like your picture. 57 years later it's still the best hobby I know. I hope you enjoy it as much as most of us do.
Welcome.
Rich
My25.jpg
My25.jpg (81.89 KiB) Viewed 5139 times
When did I do that?

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George House » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:35 pm

Howdy Cory,
Yeah, you came to the right place. Welcome to the Forum. A lot of us have tons of parts so you should find a Model T Club close to your home to join. The parts you’re missing on that engine are easily available. I have 8-9 of the later ‘26-‘27 fan/water outlets and several later rear ends w/ torque tubes. Most others will too. What year and body style are you looking for?
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people 🤪

Topic author
Wayfarer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 engine on a stand, Canadian '23 center door

Post by Wayfarer » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:09 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome !
I tried a bunch of different ways to post the picture, but all I could get was a link. I’ll keep reading and trying until I figure it out.
I believe this to be a 26 model year engine and trans, because of the extra mount bolts, 4 dip pan, pedals, etc. I didn’t know about the earlier fan stuff, so...thanks !
I’ve pulled the drain plug and the inspection cover from the bottom. Looks great up in there, so i’ll probably just try to wipe the gunk out and reassemble with new gaskets.
The carb is a fail. I can’t get the main jet out. I’ll be on the hunt for one now.
I bought a set of coils all set up and ready, trying to buy a rebuilt 26-7 coil box out of the classifieds here now. Then i’ll get the rest of the ignition parts new.

As far as what kind of car i’d like - I’m kind of all over the place. I want a driver, but I don’t mind a beater or a car that’s incomplete. Matter of fact, i’d Really prefer a homelier ol’ gal than a real stunner !I guess my absolute favorite would be a 17-22 touring, but I love them all, and will just keep looking until just the right one just HAS to come home with me

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:21 pm

Welcome Cory. I messed around with all sorts of old cars for 30 years and only a few years ago finally bought my first Model T.

I've enjoyed it more than all the others combined.
1924 Touring

Hap_Tucker
First Name: Hap
Last Name: Tucker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 cut off touring; 1918 touring; 1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 100

Post by Hap_Tucker » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:26 pm

Cory,

I'm 60% sure the reason your photo posted as it did is it was not located on your computer. (I'm out on a limb on this one. T questions are much easy for me to understand -- computer magic is way beyond me...). Any way if you want to test that idea, use the same technique you posted the link to the photo but instead of putting an http address -- pick a photo that is on your computer. If you don't have a photo on your computer right click the engine photo I re-posted above and save it to your desktop or someplace you can get to. Then when you hit "attachments, then Add files, click on the desktop and then double click on the file you want to add." You can select "Place inline" and it will show up where your cursor is/was in the document. Or if you don't select anything it will end up at the end of your posting. Then you can click on preview and see if the photo shows up where you want it. If it does - you've got it down. You can then submit it or just delete it if you were practicing.

Usually it works great for me but sometimes I can't get the photos in the order I want -- I'm still learning that part. I will then cheat and only put one photo per posting. But that is an operator error on my part.

Be sure to sit in a few of the Model T's in the driver's seat before you purchase one. Some of them have more room than others. If you are 6ft 6inches tall and a football player you will find some of the Ts a tight fit. If you are 5 ft 6 inches and 160 pounds -- just about any T will have plenty of room (the Town Cars -- might still feel crowded but the others should not).

Again welcome to the forum and I'm sure you will find the car you that is right for you.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

DLodge
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Lodge
MTFCA Number: 19659

Post by DLodge » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:34 pm

This sort of relates to a discussion in another thread. I don't know whether Cory lives a block and a half away from me or across the country. There really is something to say for knowing where we are when we're carrying on a discussion. :D

Jim, Sr.
First Name: Jim, Sr.
Last Name: Rodell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 coupe, 1926 touring
MTFCA Number: 2406
MTFCI Number: 22213

Post by Jim, Sr. » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:54 pm

Hi Cory,
Where are you located?
It is easier to assist if we know. There may be a club chapter or even a Forum member close by.
1922 Coupe , 1926 Touring

Scott C.
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Clements
MTFCA Number: 49592

Post by Scott C. » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:00 pm

Don't give up on that carburetor yet. Heat that jet up a bit and quench it. It will probably screw right out.

Topic author
Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:39 pm

I’ll try heating the jet !

I’m in Colorado Springs Colorado. I looked at the chapters - two in the Denver area, an hour / hour and a half drive (at modern car speeds)

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:52 pm

I have heard Dave Huson is one of the guys to meet but he is farther north near Estes Park.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:13 pm

I believe the Mile High Model T Club is in your area.
Here's a link to Milt Webb's Mothballs article: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG93.html
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:07 pm

Mile High Pedal Pushers is in the Denver area (listed as Arvada) Northern Colorado is also Denver area (listed as Littleton).
If any forum members are from Colorado Springs, shoot me a PM

DLodge
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Lodge
MTFCA Number: 19659

Post by DLodge » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:31 pm

Cory, in 2007 a group of people I was in the Air Force with the mid-sixties decided to have a reunion in Colorado Springs. The day our reunion ended, a couple of Colorado Model T clubs had organized a tour that started in Loveland. My late wife and I decided to trailer the T to the reunion and then head up to the tour. (An ideal "two birds with one stone" situation.) Unlike most "hub and spoke" Model T tours that end up each evening at the same hotel, this one moved on to a different hotel every night. (There was a luggage trailer accompanying the tour, so we didn't have to carry everything in the T.) It was a fantastic tour. We drove the Trail Ridge Road, went to Steamboat, and even detoured into Wyoming for one night.

IMG_2066.JPG
IMG_2105.JPG

Dave Huson was one of the organizers of the tour. It was great fun....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic