How not to buy something in the classified ads

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
dobro1956
First Name: Donnie
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Sport Touring, 1919 Speedster, 1914 Speedster, Wards tractor conversion, non starter 1926 Improved Touring
MTFCA Number: 49575

How not to buy something in the classified ads

Post by dobro1956 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:59 pm

Its the time of year I start selling a lot of nice things in the classifieds to pay for this years Chickasha trip.

We have a section of How to sell on the forum, but I feel like a "how to buy" section is also needed

As a seller there are things that just make it so hard to sell and ship.

Some things like using the forum message system to contact the seller. That is an almost sure way to miss out on a purchase. As sometimes the messages just do not show up on the sellers end. I always post my phone number and my e-mail address in the last photo of the ad, I make it clear in the ad to not use the forum message system but use my info shown in the photo. "BUT" 3/4 of the prospective buyers still use the forum message system ?????

I always try and take first come first served. So when I get an e-mail or phone call. The time of the call or e-mail is the prospective buyers place on the list. So when someone contacts me I need an address to figure shipping, I need a name of who I am dealing with, and I need a "yes I want it" Now a lot of the time the first e-mail goes something like this . Hi, Im interested in your "insert part name" is it still for sale? Sam ( or many different names) . For the first thing I know lots of "Sams" or "Bills" or "Johns" ect... A last name would be nice. Also a "yes I want it" would be nice. So I send a e-mail back asking for full name, "COMPLETE" mailing address to figure the shipping. I also "always" give my payment options at this time of check, money order or pay pal. So three days later I finally get an answer. In the meantime I have four other (or more) prospective buyers waiting in line. So finally buyer number 1 e-mails to say he does not do pay pal, is a check OK.? "YES" a check is OK, I said so in the last e-mail. But I still have no mailing address to figure shipping, So I send another e-mail asking for a "COMPLETE" mailing address . By now I have a couple more interested buyers in line. I finally get the mailing address and it looks something like this . Sam (remember Sam) oklahomacityOK923r3 (notice missing letters, words running together, missing or incomplete zip code, ect) YES this really happens on a regular basis. So I send another e-mail to try and get a correct mailing address and figure out who "Sam" is. By this time a couple more prospective buyers are now on the list. So another day or two passes and finally I have a complete mailing address and finally "Sam" gave me his last name. I know what I just wrote may sound like a joke, but Yes it happens to me on a regular basis.

But there are lots of other things that happen like "Sam" forgot to send the check, Or after all the e-mails "Sam" did not like the shipping price and decided to not buy it. Or halfway thru the e-mail cycle I just never hear from "Sam" again.

I have always tried to sell my stuff cheaply. So I usually have a lot of responses to most of my ads. I have had dozens of folks in line, My fastest sale was 7 minutes from when I listed it to when it sold and was paid for by pay pal. Between e-bay and the forum sales I can have dozens of items to deal with at one time. I do appreciate all my customers that have bought from me in the past. (even the long drawn out sales) But I just had an urge to have a "small rant" :)

Most of my sales are OK and proceed as smoothly as can be expected when 2 people are dealing 100s or 1000s of miles apart. But I just wish everyone would try to deal in a some what professional manner.

OK Im done ranting for the time being, I have several e-mails to send and several packages to get ready to ship .. :)
Last edited by dobro1956 on Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Re: How not to buy something in the classified ads

Post by Steve Jelf » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:05 pm

"Sam" also posts comments on the forum and the FB Model T pages, and I usually have trouble figuring out what he's trying to say. :D
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Matt in California
First Name: Matt
Last Name: G
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring, 1926 Fordor Project, TT C-cab flatbed farm field find, TT dump truck project
MTFCA Number: 30697

Post by Matt in California » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:39 pm

I know that people complain about ebay prices, but it is more straightforward. Not a bunch of going back and forth. Many times I have a buy-it-now so it is ready to be shipped when the first interested party clicks to buy it...

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:23 am

Steve,
That might be because Sam is not the best speller, and does not use punctuation.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:32 am

...not the best speller, and does not use punctuation.

Yeah, that's the guy. His style of writing is called stream of unconsciousness.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
dobro1956
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Sport Touring, 1919 Speedster, 1914 Speedster, Wards tractor conversion, non starter 1926 Improved Touring

Post by dobro1956 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:48 am

OK, I got a good night's sleep, I'm over my small rant. Hope I did not make any "Sam's" mad.

I'm not a very good speller, and English was one of my worst subjects. After all, I was raised in the hills of Arkansas. We have our own version of "English" But, I do try to make what I write readable. My daughter bought me a "echo dot" for my birthday. Now I just ask "Alexa" how to spell something. :)

After, I send a few more e-mails, I'm off to the post office to mail a few more packages.

Y'all have a nice day. ...

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Post by perry kete » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:54 am

DonniethemessagehadtobestatedatsomepointandimgladyoudiddecidetohelpuswhopurchaseitemsdoitrightnobodyismadthanksSam
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Post by tdump » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:44 am

Um,odd,I had no trouble reading parakeets sentance.
I have a couple items I thought about trying to sell a couple fenders,but shipping them seems to be a problem for me to fiqure out how to box em up.
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Post by Dan Hatch » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:57 am

Another thing that would be helpful. When you send a check, money order etc for a part, put something in the envelope besides the check. Like what you ordered. Thanks Dan

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:10 am

I think that forum and classified posts are just like “instruction sheets” to some people. People look at the pictures and maybe read a little of the text, but won’t read it all... Therefore they don’t follow the directions.

Dropacent
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:33 am

Great post, Donnie . I’m a guy not born with a lot of patience. I could share a ton of stories, but I’m also a one-fingered typer. Back to the shop.

Topic author
dobro1956

Post by dobro1956 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:14 pm

Dan, I forgot about the "check only" thing. It happens way more often than most folks think. A lot of times they do not even write on the check what its for. That space is just left empty. Or the one I really like is when it is "check only" , but the check is in his wife's name or his business name. So I have no way to know it was from "Sam"

Joe Bell
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Bell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Fordor
MTFCI Number: 24066

Post by Joe Bell » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:31 pm

And Tim, I thought I was the only one out there!!!!!!!!!!!

dmdeaton
First Name: Danny
Last Name: Deaton

Post by dmdeaton » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:03 pm

I have not on here long, but have bought a lot of items from folks here. Only had good transactions so far. Thanks to all.
My opinion is there should be common rules on how to purchase. If you don't want a PM, then it should be that way for all. Not just some. It would be easier on both ends if the rules were the same for all.
I was out the other day and away from my laptop and saw a post that I wanted. I posted I would take it and would send a email later, as I am not setup on my phone to do so. That went fine also.
Just my thoughts and thanks again to all on here that are contributing to my first Model T project!!

StanHowe
First Name: Stan
Last Name: Howe
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 19133
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by StanHowe » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:57 pm

Kind of like after nearly 38 years and 427 commercial auctions from Minnesota to Idaho and Colorado, North and South Dakota, Wyoming, etc., people will come up to me and say, "You remember that box I bought at that auction that time?"

I also get checks in the mail with no information. On the other hand that is better than not getting a check after they said they would send one, had sent one, it never came and then I never get paid. That also not only wastes your time and takes the item off the market and makes you go through the whole deal again but also probably loses you a potential customer for something else, because they know you know they didn't pay you for the last thing they said they were going to buy.

But most people are very good, I've not had enough problems with Model T people to be worth even mentioning and I have customers all over the world.

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Post by perry kete » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:15 pm

Translated from above message:

Donnie,
The message had to stated at some point and I'm glad you did decide to help us who purchase items do it right. Nobody is mad. Sam :lol: :lol:
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Post by tdump » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:27 pm

I would think if a check comes from a John Doe and you have sold Widget B to a John Doe that more than likely that the check is for widget B.
I seldom ever wrote what a check was for in the blank.If they see my name,they should know what they sold me? Of Course I aint wrote a check since 2006 when I wrote 1 and it bounced over a PENNY and cost me a good bit of money.
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

Tbird
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Bird
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Delivery Car

Post by Tbird » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:06 pm

You snooze...you loose

Topic author
dobro1956

Post by dobro1956 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:59 pm

Tbird, If it's any consolation, you did everything right, you were just second in line. :( Most of my items sell very quickly.

Most of the things that have been mentioned here really do not matter, until the seller is juggling many sales at the same time.

Again, I do appreciate everyone who has bought from me. Just trying to show the sellers side of the story.

Have fun and be safe.......

Tbird
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Bird
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Delivery Car

Post by Tbird » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:43 pm

Donnie,
I was actually surprised to see that that drum was on there as long as it was.

StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:04 pm

One more quick comment on this thread.

As a "buyer," if you can't complete the deal, fess up, contact the seller and tell them the old lady wouldn't let you spend money on a wizmo gizmo so you can't paypal the money or send a check after all. Most of the time I think the seller just figures it's part of doing business and just puts it up for sale again, no big deal. But don't just disappear, not send the money and don't contact them. Also, if somebody sends you something after you tell them to "Just put an invoice in the box and I'll send a check when I get it." Send the check.

In the last couple months I have had several of those deals where they were going to paypal the money that day, the next day, Friday when I get paid, etc., or "I'll mail out a check tomorrow," etc., and never got paid. Of course I still have the whatever but it would have been nice to know there was no money going to show up.

I had three "buyers" on my last 5 ball before number 4 paid for it. I got the mail today, checked my paypal account and the check that I have been waiting for since September (yes, I've contacted him several times) still isn't here for an extensive 5 ball restoration, the two OF's I have 'Hold for payment" on are still on the shelf, one from early December and one from close to Christmas as well as an O-3 that was going to be paid Monday -- no money. I don't really care about them not selling since there are other buyers but it would be nice to have people say I found a cheaper one, I decided against it, my piggy bank isn't as fat as I thought, whatever.

Well, back to the shop.

Topic author
dobro1956

Post by dobro1956 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:40 pm

Stan, Everything you said, I agree with. I have had deals go exactly as you described. It seems to happen more in the last few years, than it did before. I noticed a change in how a lot of prospective buyers act, about 5 years ago, and it is getting worse. The vast majority of my buyers are great. But the small percentage of "deals gone wrong" is getting a little bigger each year.

I try my very best to make a good sale. I probably "over describe" the item and post a lot of photos. It takes quiet a bit of effort on the sellers part to list something well. So the buyers should also try their best.

I hate to even be bringing this up, and in no way want to seem like I do not appreciate my buyers. Its just that small percentage that really makes it hard to sell things.

Darn it, I had another small rant . :) :)

Back to the shop and try to get something done ......

Have fun and be safe ..........

Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Post by Dan Hatch » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:32 pm

I just got something I never got before. Guy sent me a self addressed label with his check. Maybe things are looking up in the T world. Thanks Dan

StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:49 pm

Or, as I would say is probably the case with the 0-3 -- one of which just sold on ebay, they found one on ebay cheaper.

Still no money in the mail or paypal.

Back to the shop.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564

Post by Mark Gregush » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:44 am

Was selling something a while back, price was in the ad and they contacted me about it and showed what seemed a strong interest in, there were several emails, then just nothing. No offers, nothing, even after several email over a months time asking if they wanted or not. It was a somewhat rare part and the price was about market or below. Took it to the Portland Swap meet and got my price. I did send the person a email to rub it in a bit because they left me hanging for over a month because they could not take a min. to say if they wanted it or not.
Point is, if you have been going back and forth emailing and you sound interested in something, let them know you will ether take it or pass on it.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

thom
First Name: Tommy
Last Name: Coffey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '21 Touring

Post by thom » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:10 am

Sellers should know that potential buyers, like me, can often detect a bad attitude or just a crappy personality in general by the wording of the ads. One seller on here I have seen has had some stuff several times that I would probably have bought but I'll be danged if I'll deal with him because of the way his ads are written up. I can imagine how pleasant a phone conversation would be with him if it needed to take place.

StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:06 pm

Mark, the ones that gripe me are the ones that tell me they want something, will pay by Paypal or Check "Be in the mail this afternoon," or "My daughter does paypal, I'll have her pay you tonight," and then you never hear another word.

That said, that has always been pretty rare but the last couple months I have had three of those. I don't send anything until it's paid for any more, I used to send stuff out and figure I'd get a check but I have a couple that never paid. Over a thousand bucks this last year. I've sent a couple bills but it's a waste of time.

So it goes in business -- most people, especially Model T people, are really good but once in a while you get somebody who has a lapse of honestly or just forgot or whatever. I am so busy all the time I don't have time to chase em.

The gas furnaces in my shop are running full bore today, gotta go fix something so I can pay the bill! I'm trying to not even think about tax time.

Bud Delong
First Name: Kenneth
Last Name: DeLong
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring,1915 roadster

Post by Bud Delong » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:27 pm

One of my favorite auction"s was clearked by the local banker and they hung the stone pile on him! :D Bud. :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic