Another New Guy Intro

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Phoenix88R
First Name: Doug
Last Name: Wilson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 51005
Board Member Since: 2018

Another New Guy Intro

Post by Phoenix88R » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:02 pm

About 2 years ago I purchased a 26 touring (#13926448) last licensed in 1989. Nothing fancy but it does run. Previous owner had installed a rebuilt 25 engine (#11407045), he drove it to my house south of Ann Arbor, MI (only a couple miles) after sale as I had never driven a T. Needed some minor repairs and adjustments, fixing oil leaks, radiator hoses, fan belt, fuel leaks and carb rebuild. Also added stoplights and turn signals (removable) to add some visibility.
The original engine came with it which had been sitting outside 20 years or so after suffering a broken #4 exhaust valve which broke the piston and at a minimum damaged the babbitt bearings. Learned a lot taking it apart. Damage from sitting outside is less than I expected. Think there are a lot of usable parts. the block possibly could be saved but will likely need valve seats in addition to normal machining and babbitt. Rebuilding it isn’t a priority, plenty to do on the T first.
Learned a lot from the forum, virtually everything I’ve needed has already been covered here. Between my son and I have driven the T about 200 miles mostly around the subdivision. Had to adjust the bands a couple of times in the first 20-30 miles, seems to have settled in now. Doubt the PO drove it after installing the 25 engine as it had a major oil leak from the bolt holes which would be attaching the magneto coil ring to the block (was rebuilt without magnets/magneto, has oil slingers) literally left a stream of oil on both sides of the engine. Engine must have been installed some time ago as the fan belt and radiator hoses were petrified and fell apart in the first few miles. Still leaves a few oil drips from various locations but seems normal. Engine sounds good 50-55 psi compression, would probably benefit from coil servicing.
Hope to be working on getting the parking brake functioning this spring which will likely lead to rebuilding the rear axle. Axial play is 0.035” measured at both rear wheel hubs. Wooden wheels seem solid but need to be more carefully evaluated and at a minimum refinished.
Attachments
IMG_4834.JPG
IMG_4833.JPG
IMG_4832.JPG

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Another New Guy Intro

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:12 pm

Doug

welcome!
nice to see more "guests" becoming registered users.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:57 pm

That's a pretty decent-looking touring. It seems you have a pretty good handle on what to do with it, too.
I've driven my 1915 through Saline on my way to Dearborn a couple of times. Have you been to OCF? It's the cat's pajamas.
:)
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:50 am

Welcome to the affliction! That looks like the perfect model T to me. While the color may not be exactly correct (so who cares? It is a nice color)? It is a nice looking car, and needing a bit of work to sort it out, but basically ready to begin enjoying! It is nice enough to show up and park with other cars and not feel ashamed of it. And just beat enough that to not worry about every little ding or scratch it may get. Seriously. Some of the best fun is had with a car you can lash a picnic basket onto the running board or fender and just enjoy the outing with friends and family!

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:03 am

You say there is not magneto. From your picture you don't have a generator. How do you provide electricity to the coils? Do you have a starter? I would suggest you install a generator and a battery so that you can keep the spark going while driving and also to be able to use the lights. You might not plan to drive at night, but sometimes one runs late and it gets dark so you will need the lights to be in working condition.
Good looking car. Body looks very good. Top looks invisible except the bows!
Norm

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:30 pm

Hi Doug. I am pleased when we get new people aboard to share their interest.
I love the photos of your car. They have a delightful look. Would you have any objection to my using one in a painting sometime?
Just wondering.
Rich Eagle
When did I do that?

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810

Post by Oldav8tor » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:47 pm

I'm pleased to welcome another Michigander to the affliction. Sounds like you've got a better handle on it than I did when I started. You'll find the guys on the forum to be a great source of help, information and encouragement. Hope to see you on the road!
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:01 pm

That's a nice looking old girl. I like the color scheme.
1924 Touring

Topic author
Phoenix88R
First Name: Doug
Last Name: Wilson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 51005

Post by Phoenix88R » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:35 pm

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

I have been to OCF at greenfield village but it has been many years ago with my Dad who worked for Ford’s from 1935 till 1975. He worked for the powerhouse (high voltage maintenance) and met Henry Ford on several occasions also worked in Greenfield Village on electrical issues a couple times way back when they used the Edison plant to supply electricity for the village. He had many stories to tell.

Not much gets past you guys. The original post was long enough and of course doesn’t cover everything. The generator was not functional and not repaired yet, a couple of the brushes were split where the pigtail attaches (never saw brushes fail that way), the armature tests good and the field although wrapping is kind of ragged seems ok, brush plate is a bit wavy. Presently just running off the new 8V battery that came with it for the short trips I’ve taken so far. Lights work now but the right reflector is poor and the headlight ring is glued on with silicone caulk due to rust damage at the bottom bayonet catch. It did come with a top that was never installed however it seems a bit less than supple and the main section has some mouse chewed damage (that had been patched??) so I don’t know if it’s worth the effort to try to install. It did come with side curtains which seem ok.

I agree with Wayne as far as level of restoration is concerned for this T. Currently have two 65 Beetles one that I totally restored 20 years ago that spends most of its time in a car bag and another daily driver which I’ve driven a couple hundred thousand miles as a commuter, on and off road, rebuilt and changed numerous engines, used at scout camp, haul lumber on the roof…. Although I had it repainted and don’t drive it in the winter, it sure has its share of stone chips etc. Guess which one is more fun?

Look forward to tapping the tribal knowledge of the forum for opinions on modern seals and recommended modifications as I contemplate rear axle rebuild. First need to get Chaffin’s MTFCA Axle Manual.

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:15 am

Doug, that's fun and welcome to the forum. I had a 66 beetle (had 7 people in there at lunch once!) and my brother had a 62 with a gas heater on the passenger's side. Worked good!
Your dad would have been a very interesting man to talk to!
I'm with Don about that color on your nice looking Touring. Looked back at it 20 times or so. Looks really neat!
Please don't contemplate that rear axle. Fix it/look in to be sure.
With my 18 Runabout, the only parts I reused were the grease cups. True.
Funky: In days past, axle repair would have been nearly barked about getting bronze thrust washers in... Now I'm the guy that says?
OK Did I miss a memo or email? :oops: :lol:
Next stop: Rear axle and parking brakes Doug. :) Questions on the way? We'll help you.
Neat car!
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic