New day timer broke

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Quickm007
First Name: Mario
Last Name: Brossard
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring and 1914 speedster
MTFCA Number: 30981
MTFCI Number: 30981
Board Member Since: 1999

New day timer broke

Post by Quickm007 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:14 am

I used a brand new day timer and it is working really well. I tried to adjust the rod but I broke the hole in the timer, the timer is in plastic...I thought it is a good plastic but is not the case. I tried to use a glue and broke it again at the same place... Any suggestions to glue efficiently. The glue I used is J-B Weld 50139 plastic bonder and doesn't work as well! This glue suppose to weld the plastic as well in 15 minutes and I wait all night instead in the goal to be sure the part will weld together. Also I cleaned all parts before using glue.

Maybe someone experiences same issue than me... and may have more success with different pathway.
Super Mario Bross ;)

1911 Touring
1914 Speedster

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Re: New day timer broke

Post by Humblej » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:35 am

Old new day timers were bakalite, repro new day timers were plastic for some time, plastic was too soft and would wear out very fast. New production new day timers I have no experience with. In my experience, bakelite cannot be repaired with glue, plastic can often times be repaired with glue depending on the part and the loads on the part.
I would not fix and use a repaired new day timer, plastic or bakalite, would always have that nagging feeling that it will break again and leave me stranded. In the 50 years of owning and driving a model T I have only been broken down on the side of the road twice, for junk in the fuel system once, and a flat tire once. Avoiding slip shod penny pinching make do repairs has had a lot to do with my reliability.
Time for a new timer, and in the future, disconnect the rod befor you try to adjust it again.
Last edited by Humblej on Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:36 am

Adjusting the spark control rod with a timer that has a steel case is one thing as it won’t break off the ear easily.
The New Day case is made of hard plastic and it will break no doubt about it when forced.
Adjust the timer rod as needed then put it in the ear of the case. If further adjustment is needed bend the rod accordingly to have a good fit without putting strain on the case.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:37 am

I believe New Day covers are Bakelite, not ordinary plastic. I don't know what kind of glue works for that. I would get another cover.

John is correct. The timing should be set with the rod disconnected from the timer. If the rod needs to be bent for adjustment, it should be done while the rod is disconnected.
Last edited by Steve Jelf on Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:38 am

Mario

That New Day case is made of a phenolic plastic. So a SuperGlue, which is a cyanoacrylate, may do it. Or a good two=part epoxy, that is listed for phenolic types of plastics. Normally plastics are hard to cement together, there are UV type setting adhesives that can make good repair.

But, CA glues are poor in tensile, and best in shear. There is good load on that little tab with the spark rod pulling and pushing on it.

You might try to reinforce the piece with tiny holes drilled and placing small metal rods (or tiny screws) to give more strength like screwing the two broken pieces together. The glue surfaces should be roughened too to encourage glue interface.

Likely any repair may fail again, due to the loads placed on the pull tab. Good luck.....
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:45 am

Yes the New Days are made of Bakelite and fairly tough in normal use but not tough enough when put in a bind.
Lesson learned about a New Day timer I guess. Sort of like making sure you have the T spark plug wrench on securely when removing a plug! We all know what happens when you don’t! Ever broke a plug? I learned the hard way years ago.

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:55 am

Is your New Day Timer made by Tip-Top timers? If so, I'd contact Mark Hutchinson [(509) 220-0892] and explain the situation. He'll work with you.
Bakelite holds it's shape well but will break rather than flex.... You don't want a timer cover to flex anyway. I'd not try to repair it...odds are it will fail and you'll find yourself away from home, unable to adjust your spark.

I have 1600 miles on a Tip-Top New Day timer and so far so good. I did have an issue with a bad spring on the brush I used but Mark sent me a new brush and a spring to replace the bad one. They are good people, doing their best to provide a good product.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Topic author
Quickm007

Post by Quickm007 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:14 am

Hi, for sure I learnt something here, The timing should be set with the rod disconnected from the timer... In my past experience I used an early metal timer, I forgot that one is in plastic... I will use another one for sure, and keep this one like a spare and try to reinforced with metal part.
Super Mario Bross ;)

1911 Touring
1914 Speedster

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:20 am

Experience is the worlds best teacher! But even at that, I would think with the steel case it would be far more difficult and risky trying to adjust that rod "in place". Sure, if you had the adjustable end it would be different. But if you're forcing the later style they sure are kinda hard to bend, and I would never chance it. Just my stupid opinion.

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:11 pm

I done the same thing a couple years ago. Experience is the best teacher. I fixed mine this way. I cut a groove with a dremel tool with a cutting wheel in both the timer body 1/2 and the top 1/2 of the hole that broke off just wide enough to fit a small flat washer into and deep enough the two halves came together. I then used JB weld packed in the groove and all around the break. Let everything cure and filed and sanded excess off. When finished all that is seen is a fine grey line at the break. I used it till I found another. Still have it under the seat as a spare. It was bakolite.

StanHowe
First Name: Stan
Last Name: Howe
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 19133

Post by StanHowe » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:51 pm

IMHO, the best thing you can do with a New Day timer is add a little flex joint to the end of the rod. I broke the tab off a NOS one years ago because the rod was binding and I didn't pay attention. I haven't seen the new ones Hutch is making but I'm hearing good reports from a couple people that are running them. I agree that they are a local company and will stand behind their products. I'm sure an email to them would take care of the problem.

Topic author
Quickm007

Post by Quickm007 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:21 pm

I reach Mark Hutchinson today and have a chance to chat with him. A very nice gentlemen. He made some arrangement for me. Is timer work perfectly but we need to be carefull when we want to adjust the timer. The timing should be set with the rod disconnected from the timer. I will try to repair the broken one and keep it as a spare on my tool bag.
Super Mario Bross ;)

1911 Touring
1914 Speedster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic