Model T varients

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
GreatCanadianMoose
First Name: Luca
Last Name: Salvatore
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 0

Model T varients

Post by GreatCanadianMoose » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:03 am

Good day everyone! I just joined this forum today with a trio questions in mind!

The model T has a plethora of variants, but I seem to have trouble finding a comprehensive list of the model types. In lists I've found, they usually completely ignore the existence of the couplet. Can anyone help with this one?

Secondly, am looking into the two seaters and would like to know, is there a difference between the runabout and roadster? Is it a marketing thing? And what exactly is the torpedo runabout?

Lastly, I've heard that in 1923 when they changed how they build the car, the chassis is heavier, is there a noticeable difference between the slightly earlier models and the ones directly after?

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I am seriously considering getting a T and would like to do some serious research before getting one as my first car.

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Re: Model T varients

Post by Humblej » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:26 am

Go to the mtfca home page, find the encyclopedia, and dig in. Great resource!
Ford made different body styles in different years, some body styles were offerd only a couple of years, and for some, only one year. Roadsters, runabouts, and torpedoes are essently different names for the same thing, a two seater.
You are misinformed about a big change in 1923. In 1926 the model T was known as the improved Ford, it is in many respects the best model t produced, improved, but very much still the model T.

Topic author
GreatCanadianMoose
First Name: Luca
Last Name: Salvatore
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 0

Post by GreatCanadianMoose » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:00 pm

Thank you, so the 1926 model T, is that the heavier model? Is there any particular handling differences? Thanks! :D

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:20 pm

Much is different on the “improved models.
The spindles are offset to lower the front a little a 21” balloon tires were introduced, improved brakes :shock: :lol:
(Wider transmission drum and band, larger, lined parking brakes...)
Body changes, many other differences, but pretty much the same thing.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:31 pm

Order some catalogues to have in hand. Body styles will be shown in the section where TOPS are sold. This will start showing you the differences in profiles or "looks" of the car.

You mentioned this would be your first car. If by that you mean "first antique car" then that's fine. If you mean "my first car ever", then that's not fine. They are entirely unsuited for regular use in modern traffic, particularly in an urban setting. You may read further that folks will chide me and say they drive their cars daily. In the summer, I do too. But I understand their limits and am not attempting to support my family and rely on it to get me to work every day rain, shine, snow, hail or gloom of night. To describe them as limited and primitive is an understatement. With the right expectations from one, they are wonderful and will transform your way of seeing life once behind the wheel.

In any event, welcome, and hope your dream comes to fruition.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic