Windshield attached Mirror Installation

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Mark Osterman
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Osterman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 runabout

Windshield attached Mirror Installation

Post by Mark Osterman » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:09 pm

In 1924 Ford offered a rectangular accessory mirror that attached to the top of the open car windshield. The mount was curved to conform to the rounded windshield frame. Two holes were required to be drilled into the frame for installation.

My question is what type of bolts/nuts were used for this installation on a curved surface. Were lock washers used. Were the nuts on the outside or inside? Anyone have a picture of one of these from an unrestored windshield or a vintage picture showing this installation. Here is a photo of an original mirror of this type.
Attachments
04048EF0-7E9E-45E1-A80D-2D163679B292.jpeg

Dropacent
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Re: Windshield attached Mirror Installation

Post by Dropacent » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:31 pm

Mark, when I find nice ones, they sometimes still have the stove bolt and square nut with them. I think I used a sex bolt on the last one I had installed.

CudaMan
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:04 pm

I fitted one of those on my 1924. Probably wrong, but I only drilled the inside of the upper windshield frame and attached the mirror with a couple of slotted round head sheet metal screws.

I have an original 1925 windshield frame that came with my 1925 touring body, it has factory drilled holes for the mirror and wiper that go through the front and back surfaces of the upper frame.

The factory parts manual shows a different style of mirror bracket for the open cars, it curls over the top of the windshield frame, see attached pic.

I could swear that Larry Smith talked about these mirrors in a recent thread, but I can't find it now. :(
Attachments
95649.jpg
95649.jpg (54.65 KiB) Viewed 1952 times
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

Topic author
Mark Osterman
Last Name: Osterman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 runabout

Post by Mark Osterman » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:32 pm

Yes, that was in regards to me looking for one of these mirrors. He mentioned were later than my car, but I don’t see that as a problem. People bought things for their cars back then. My car was originally a non starter type with oil side lamps. But at some point the starter package was installed. These car had a life. 😄

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic