Ruckstell sliding clutch gear question

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Dave S
First Name: David
Last Name: Simmering
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1925 Coupe, 1926 Roadster Pickup
MTFCA Number: 11531
MTFCI Number: 10138

Ruckstell sliding clutch gear question

Post by Dave S » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:54 pm

I assembled a Ruckstell about a year ago. I "thought" that the sliding clutch gear (P146) slid all of the way through the gears. I left the shifter hole open as I needed a new shifter to replace one with a crack. Now I find that the sliding gear will not go far enough in to fit the new shifter. Is there a way to slide the clutch without disassembly? Thanks.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Re: Ruckstell sliding clutch gear question

Post by Norman Kling » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:22 pm

With the axles free to turn, try turning the driveshaft while someone tries to move the clutch gear. Just a small part of a turn and the clutch gear should move either one way or the other. If it slides further into the ruckstell gears you should be able to install the shifter. Be sure the fork is in the groove in the clutch gear. It is possible to install the shifter in the wrong position which will give you a neutral. It should be in gear in either position. Either in direct drive or in underdrive but no neutral.
Norm

Topic author
Dave S
First Name: David
Last Name: Simmering
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1925 Coupe, 1926 Roadster Pickup
MTFCA Number: 11531
MTFCI Number: 10138

Re: Ruckstell sliding clutch gear question

Post by Dave S » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:43 pm

Thank you Norman. I had been turning the u-joint while putting pressure on the slider and nothing happened. I turned the u-joint a tiny bit, reached down and pushed the slider and it went right in. The shifter fits perfectly and now it's all ready to paint. Thanks again! Dave

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic