Made some petcocks

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
StanHowe
First Name: Stan
Last Name: Howe
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 19133
Board Member Since: 1999

Made some petcocks

Post by StanHowe » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:12 pm

These little petcocks are made from unobtainium. They are used in the early Kingstons, some of the Holleys and a few others. Most often the need is for the early Kingston 4 ball with the short inlet -- the one with the inlet half way up the chamber. They are always missing, broken or leak.

They are 1/16 NPT pipe thread. I have never been able to find drain cocks in this size and have wasted all sorts of time trying to get old ones to not leak. So Saturday night I made some.

First photo shows where they fit in the Kingston 4 Ball.
DSCF1668.JPG
DSCF1673.JPG
DSCF1675.JPG
DSCF1679.JPG
DSCF1682.JPG

Topic author
StanHowe

Re: Made some petcocks

Post by StanHowe » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:13 pm

DSCF1666.JPG
In answer to the question I will certainly be asked, "How do you form the tips?"

Answer: I grind the tips on my valve grinder, which is an old Snapon that I have made adapters for the smaller sizes needed for these sizes.

Herb Iffrig
First Name: Herb
Last Name: Iffrig
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Torpedo, 1918 TT Hucksters

Post by Herb Iffrig » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:10 pm

Thank you Stan.

KWTownsend
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Townsend
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: late 1911 touring, 1915 runabout, 1919 touring, brass speedster
MTFCA Number: 14778
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16305

Post by KWTownsend » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:10 pm

Nice work, Stan.

I have two four-ball carburetors and one is threaded for the 1/16 pipe drain... which I do not have. However, I did found these:

https://www.deboltmachine.com/products/1-16-drain-valve.
1-16 pipe drain valve.jpg
1-16 pipe drain valve.jpg (13.83 KiB) Viewed 3125 times
They are not correct, but I am sure they are functional. I have not ordered one yet as I am still looking, hoping to find an original, and/or keeping my options open. I like yours better.

: ^ )

Topic author
StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:19 pm

Thanks,
I've seen a couple of those like you show. IMNSHO ( in my not so humble opinion =) ) the problem with them is that they are intended to seal with tapered thread but there is no hex to get a wrench on to tighten with so you are using a pair of pliers to tighten them.

Ah, I checked them out on the website and it looks like they have 7/16 flats to tighten them.

I think they are made for Model Engineer projects in England and they wanted about $25 each plus shipping. Anything tapered thread is expensive.

On the other hand, you can't lose the plug which you could do with the ones I made. With enough time I could make them so the plug would be retained even when loose.

I made some with drain holes on the side and and some with no drain hole. Guess why?? So you can whittle a little wooden plug if you by chance lose the drain plug.

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:18 pm

Can't help it: COOL thread! 'Scuse me, wonderful thread.
Bless you all that who see that small! Dang. A valve grinder to taper. Too simple but who would've thought.
Brass get jambed up/embedded in the stone?
I know you could come up with the tooling to retain the plug. Hmmm, perhaps a non threaded portion near the handle and form or punch the body after install... ?
Too bad the drain on an M-3 is 1/8" else I'd be beggin'. :lol:
Thank you
:)
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Topic author
StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:20 pm

There are lots of ways to retain the plug but I used 1/4 - 32 threads which should tighten up very well and not unwind themselves. It is also easier to whittle a plug if you do lose the turn plug and easier to send out a replacement.

Yes, the brass loads up the stone, even with a big glob of goop and a steady stream of coolant on the contact surface. I have the surfacer for the stone and a couple new stones so it will probably all outlast me.

Back to the shop. Back to the shop. Only 4:30 Saturday. Back to the shop.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic