need to know

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
RichardG
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Grzegorowicz
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 T pickup

need to know

Post by RichardG » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:06 pm

so many --15.000.000 plus, model t's have been terrorizing our hi ways for well over 100 years, each one has its own identity, many of its parts can be taken from one and used on another, with no aperient change in operating as a unit excepting perhaps the carburetor, as the vacuum shurely between the two engines would differ, why then has there been s many different timing device's all to do the same job, and witch one is doing the job best, those of you that put the miles on your t like mr Jeff, i know what im about to ask is going to open a flurry of opinions, like who makes the best bands--the best oil to use ect, is there a timer that is superior to all others,or is it they all are doing the same job and are like some people, some just break down early, i'm thinking of those of us that are driven by fatalism, and think a little is good a little more is better. FORD LISTED 3,n 1 oil best used in the timer,how many use it, just for a moment try to think of its job,the force it must stand up to, swung around within that tight space hundreds of times every mile. and not missing a beat, and that's just the beginning, that little roller must make a connection on its way around at break neck speed to fire the coil that fires the plug that ignites the charge of fuel ,and this takes place every four revolutions of the engine. start the cold engine do the start up adjustments to keep it running, allow it to warm to a reasonable temperature,remember its 100 years old and there is no modern devices making adjustments of air and fuel to keep this marvel running, that your job, make the fine adjustments when your under way, so next time your in there tinkering do your home work and self a big favor don't guess, when the engine was designed they left NO room for guess work. NO BETTER SOUND THAN A HUNDRED YEAR OLD ENGINE ON A HARD LUG DOING ITS JOB.

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Re: need to know

Post by tdump » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:23 pm

I have often wished I had the knowledge and tooling to make a system using a spinning magnet and 4 reed switches Or a system using a spinning magnet and a tiny coil to make a tiny current enough to trigger the larger coil to work. All that rubbin and rolling in there is alot to ask of 100 year old parts
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:11 pm

I don't think that there is any question in the benefits of the "E-Timer"/"I-timer" (Set-up, maintenance, reliability, stock appearance, etc). Everything has a price and most often we fail to put a value to our own time. Also we may fail to include replacement costs over time when looking at only the initial price. This is a very unbiased opinion since I plan on using an American Bosch 600 Distributor for a specific build. Otherwise I wouldn't hesitate to get an "E-timer"
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Topic author
RichardG

Post by RichardG » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:21 pm

Mack, where did you come up with the idea of a spinning magnet and reed switches, was one in use at one time or something that you have been mulling over, sounds interesting, lets hear more of your idea, the Ford timer is in my opinion far superior in its function ,but like every thing that requires the highest quality output at every moment of use will in time need adjusting and maintaining, and this is ware things go wrong, we try to make the parts that have given there all to keep up the pace, witch they no longer can do, no doubt Ford tested the timing system and recorded it as to when those components should be changed, take the roller,the centrifugal force apply''d in its movement will cause uneven ware in time,[where a shot of 3n1 often could extend its life] so no matter what we try, those parts are worn beond further quality use,it may be hard to tell by looking at them but in there worn, rotating, swinging motion, they are running out of alignment. creating problems for the other components that re relying on its doing what it was designed for. a good running engine begins with the spark at the instant its needed . rod knocks---worn rings--leaky valves -- they all need that spark to be there.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:37 pm

I'm still using New Day timers because they work well enough to satisfy me and can be had cheap at swap meets. I don't believe they wear out any faster than other mechanical timers, and probably last longer than some. I believe Dean has used the E-timer on some of his trips and likes it.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
RichardG

Post by RichardG » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:08 pm

Frank, you have seen the light, [our time] is limited to a few short years, time you you cant get back, in most cases we can earn the money in less time than it takes to fool around trying to make a worn part do what it cant anymore, I'm not familiar with the system you speak of, Henry Ford grew up 0n the farm, and learned at a early age old worn things were a waste of his life, he see how things that wear no longer could produce what they were meant to, I'm shure his reason for his choice of steel for the -t- and making it simple light and flexible, so fellow farmers could keep it in repair, when i stand next to my MODEL-T-and admire its simplicity and durability, i think of how many countless sleepless hours it must have taken those men to bring it all together and change the way the world would prosper. PS--I ALWAYS FELT THE WAGON WHEEL FROM THE FARM HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE DESIGN OF THE -T- WHEEL.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic