Yorkville, IL: Ford Model K, what is the story?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
WayneJ
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Jorgensen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout, 1918 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 31697
MTFCI Number: 23399
Board Member Since: 2013

Yorkville, IL: Ford Model K, what is the story?

Post by WayneJ » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:07 am

K_0002.jpg
In a previous thread, I posted pictures of the above car, that I took at the Sandwich, IL car show in 1998. The windshield placard (attached to the headlight, since the car has no windshield) indicates that the car at that time was owned by an: R. Weiss, of Yorkville, IL (Yorkville is a neighboring town of Sandwich).

So what is the story on this car?

I gather it was Rob's first Model K? Is it still on the road? Is it one of the Model K's that is still touring? Inquiring minds want to know.
Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL
1915 Runabout
1918 Runabout

Rob
First Name: Rob
Last Name: Heyen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Models B, F, K, N, Ford racer and 3 Model T

Re: Yorkville, IL: Ford Model K, what is the story?

Post by Rob » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:34 am

Wayne,
Yes, still touring. When we brought it home, it had not run for some time. After a complete overhaul, thanks to Dean Yoder and others on this forum, it is up and running. Currently, my good friend in Canada has it, and has continued to bring it back “up to speed.” He happens to have another Ford six now, but that’s a story for another thread.

Below, our K in front, our old K with Hugo and Linda, and the late Tim Kelly and wife Joan in the third K:

7F128FC7-B543-4068-91A1-FEE61567EAC3.jpeg

Topic author
WayneJ

Post by WayneJ » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:51 am

So the "Yorkville" K is now blue? It looks great in blue. Do you know what color it was when it left the factory?

I believe I saw the car at the Sandwich show multiple years. It certainly made a big impression on me.
1915 Runabout
1918 Runabout

Rob
First Name: Rob
Last Name: Heyen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Models B, F, K, N, Ford racer and 3 Model T

Post by Rob » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:03 am

Wayne,
Is stopped and saw Roger’s K years ago. At that time, I thought “who would own a car that is known historically not to be a good car?” That summer, I met Tim Kelly for the first time in Minnesota on the Paynesville Early Ford tour, preceding the New London to New Brighton tour. When I met Tim, he invited me to ride in his K. We went out on the highway in front of our hotel, and almost immediately were cruising along over 50 mph. I asked Tim, what’s up with this? “I thought these cars weren’t any good?” He said “I know.” Since then, it’s become part of my life’s work to uncover the truth about Model K, that they are a bullet proof, wonderful ride.

Below is a link made two springs ago. Tim Kelly (RIP) had been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, so we knew it was his last year of touring. Our tour shirts that year say it all, “Kelly’s Heroes.” Hope you enjoy our K’s, other cars, and the “vilain,” John Dolan with his outstanding 1908 Silver Ghost.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rdm9z8gegemc8 ... M.mov?dl=0

10BAA3F4-5DAB-41B5-BB2D-60E245F4CCD6.jpeg

Topic author
WayneJ

Post by WayneJ » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:34 am

Thank for posting the link. It is a nice tribute to your friend.
1915 Runabout
1918 Runabout

MHSprecher
First Name: Milford
Last Name: Sprecher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50046
MTFCI Number: 24309

Post by MHSprecher » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:58 pm

I heard Tim give a talk about Model A town cars at the Model A Day at the Gilmore a couple of years ago. That talk was his swan song - a trouper and true hobbyist to the end. We lost a good one, there.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic