1915 Speedster

Post complete vehicles for sale here

Topic author
Thorlick
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Horlick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Roadster Pickup "Mountain Patrol vehicle" from Los Angeles City Fire Department and a 1912 Model T omnibus restoration project
MTFCA Number: 50510
Board Member Since: 1999

1915 Speedster

Post by Thorlick » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:27 pm

1915 Model T Speedster for sale

This car was restored in the late 1950's to early 60's. There is a lot of chrome as was current in the 60's hot rod scene. (springs, lever, brackets etc.) The car was used in the Long Beach Model T Club's Signal Hill hill climbs in the 1960's.

It has a recent cosmetic work over to bring it back to it's former glory.
rside
rside
lfqtr
lfqtr
rrqtr
rrqtr
rfqtr
rfqtr
engine with cross-drive DU4
engine with cross-drive DU4
The car has a 1918 engine used in the hill climbs. An American Bosch DU-4 mag which has a brand new armature rewind, condenser (complete rebuild by a professional Mag restorer in Maine) and runs on a Dan McEachern coupling inside a period cross drive cast front plate. The radiator looks like an original 1915 which is sound.

I purchased the car to use the running gear under another body. Once I got a good look I found it was in good shape and could be brought back to an attractive state. Then I found out it had a long history of racing and was well known in Southern California and I just couldn't part it out. So I replaced the plywood/carpeting body with solid oak and the badly degraded home made fenders and hood with a Rootlieb speedster kit, plus a Rootleib Torpedo hood. The previous owner had started to relocate the brake lever, I finished that so it is easily controllable from the seat. I added steel 1913 headlight buckets with a nicely done LED headlight and tailight set-up.

The frame is 1915 with upper radius rods which are doubled with lower rods (chrome of course). The engine is a 1918 non-starter with a cool after-market hand crank and a cross drive mag. The fresh mag rebuild makes this engine run strong, quiet and SMOOTH! There is a brake box under the driver's seat so you can run the headlights and brake lights. The engine does not use an electrical system. Cotton bands, no internal mag, NH carburetor, and double spares with period tool box.

This was touched up to be a fun runner so the new paint is what I like to call a 20 foot job. Never-the-less I was asked to put it in a small show where they put it up front (see photos), everyone loved it! I have only driven it a short distance since it is not currently licensed so you can expect to have to do a bit of adjusting to get everything the way you like it.

If you want a really fun, eyecatching car you will have to go a long way to beat this one. 35 MPH feels like 70!

I need to sell this one to make room for the restoration of that other body so the price is low. In addition the car will have a bill of sale since the DMV noted a difference between the 1915 title from many years ago and the 1918 engine. I am currently awaiting CHP inspection to get the title re-issued. Once that is done the price may go up a bit. If you are out of Calif. the bill of sale should be all you need.

The previous owner called this car "Foreplay". The "4" on the radiator and the original hood was probably on it for the hill climbs so look for car 4 if you have footage from the '60's.

First $9,000 takes it. Car is near Sacramento you ship or work something out with me for possible delivery.

Terry Horlick

thorlick (@sign) sbcglobal.net

(530)2 zero 5 - 6 zero 82
Terry Horlick, Penn Valley, CA
1927 Mountain Patrol Vehicle from the Los Angeles City Fire Department (L.A.F.D.)
1912 Model T Ford English Station Omnibus

Topic author
Thorlick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Roadster Pickup "Mountain Patrol vehicle" from Los Angeles City Fire Department and a 1912 Model T omnibus restoration project

Re: 1915 Speedster

Post by Thorlick » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:40 pm

I meant "battery under the driver's seat"!
battery location
battery location
A couple more photos:
carb side
carb side
radiator and Headlight
radiator and Headlight
View of car before refresh was done.
before refresh
before refresh
Attachments
new body
new body
1927 Mountain Patrol Vehicle from the Los Angeles City Fire Department (L.A.F.D.)

Topic author
Thorlick

Post by Thorlick » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:32 pm

Asking $9,000. Make offer, may be able to work out delivery with buyer.

thorlick@sbcglobal.net

TH

Topic author
Thorlick

Post by Thorlick » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:26 pm

Here is a bump.

I have just decided to drastically reduce price on this car. $7500 obo. It sells this week or it goes on eBay where fees will probably increase price at least $1K!

TH. (530)205-6082

Topic author
Thorlick

Post by Thorlick » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:33 pm

Here is a bump.

I have just decided to drastically reduce price on this car. $7500 obo. It sells this week or it goes on eBay where fees will probably increase price at least $1K!

TH. (530)205-6082

Topic author
Thorlick

Post by Thorlick » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:52 am

Sold

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic