Mark Chaffin
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Chaffin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Speedster, 1927 Lake Roadster
MTFCA Number: 31705
Board Member Since: 2001

FS EARLY CRANK HANDLE (NOS)

Post by Mark Chaffin » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:45 pm

Here we have another very rare item. Offered for purchase is this very early (09') production wooden crankshaft handle. As you can see, it has no visible wear and is considered to be NOS. Price for this exceptional piece is $125.00 plus $8.50 domestic shipping. Add this rare piece to fine collection. Payment by PayPal (preferred) or check. Message me or call Mark Chaffin (951) 805-0928.
Attachments
09 Crank Handle2.jpg
09 Crank Handle NOS.jpg

Topic author
Mark Chaffin

Re: FS EARLY CRANK HANDLE (NOS)

Post by Mark Chaffin » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:11 am

Sold to Darel. Thank you Darel! Thanks MTFCA!

Herb Iffrig
First Name: Herb
Last Name: Iffrig
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Torpedo, 1918 TT Hucksters

Post by Herb Iffrig » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:18 pm

I thought that the early Model T's had a hard plastic handle like the Model NRS cars did. Was there a interim wooden handle?

ModelT46
First Name: Darel
Last Name: Leipold
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 touring
MTFCA Number: 823
MTFCI Number: 953
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by ModelT46 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:56 pm

They did, but this one is so nice, and my 1910 has a 1911 aluminum replacement handle I installed 60 years ago. The new plastic ones look too new. This one will look better on my May, 1910 Touring.
Attachments
100_062200.jpg
100_062200.jpg (65.76 KiB) Viewed 2403 times

Topic author
Mark Chaffin

Post by Mark Chaffin » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:12 pm

Herb is correct, the bible states the hard rubber handle was carried over from the N, R, S. Models and the wooden handle "may have been a replacement". Here is what the bible states:

"A wooden handle has been seen on a seemingly original two-lever '09, but this may have been a replacement part. Ford blueprints indicate the handle as being hard rubber, the same part as was used in the N-R-S models. The forged starting ratchet was riveted in place."

Either way, it will look fantastic on Darel's car for sure!

Piewagon
First Name: John
Last Name: Regan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Open Runabout, 1911 Touring, 1912 Delivery Cars (2), 1915 Roadster, 1916 Roadster, 1923 Touring Car
MTFCA Number: 14725
MTFCI Number: 77
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Piewagon » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:12 pm

I have the Factory drawings for the handle itself as well as the other parts of the hand crank. None of the handles on what I know to be original cars have any portion of them wood. Many if not most of the hard rubber handles used 09-10 did not exactly match the drawing only in the area of the knurling used. The knurling was comprised of 4 deep grooves and about 10 or more shallow narrow grooves. The wider grooves were located 2 at about the center of the handle end bulge and then wide space containing the fine grooves spaced close together and then 2 wide grooves near the front of the handle. The original handles I have seen have a noticeable slight greenish tinge to the hard rubber material. The best original one I think you could see is the one on the Koolick (sp?) speedster that was on display at the HFM. The Ford part number drawing for this early handle does NOT show horizontal concentric fine grooves but rather shows a diamond knurling pattern in the area between the wide grooves but I found it impossible to knurl that pattern because of the constantly varying diameter of the handle due to its curved surface. Try to knurl it like the drawing and you would find it very difficult to make and to make it look nice like the drawing shows it. ALL original handles I have seen used the 4 deeper grooves with smaller shallower grooves in between. Worn ones have most of the finer grooves rubbed off but the 4 wider grooves still showing. The first picture shown on this posting shows several grooves all the same size and depth. I think you would find that type of handle rather easy to purchase from most any machine tool maker since round crank wheels were commonly outfitted with round spinner knobs on mills and lathes. The first of Fords aluminum handles did show the 4 wider grooves and finer inner grooves for awhile but soon the handle was just smooth aluminum without any grooves. These new handles didn't "bite" you like the hard rubber ones did so many people had their Ford dealer install them a new aluminum handle which I believe is why you find so many 09-10 with aluminum handles. These had the head of the crank pin counterbored into the end of the handle thus no place for the hand palm skin to get pinched in between the pin head and the end of the handle as was the case with the early hard rubber handles. Since my early 1911's both had rubber handles I always use a leather glove on my crank hand to keep that handle from biting me. I learned it once the hard way and it really hurt when it bit me.

KimDobbins
First Name: Kim
Last Name: Dobbins
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 touring, 1910 touring, 1913 touring, 1916 couplet, 1924 truck.
MTFCA Number: 8243

Post by KimDobbins » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:18 pm

220 had a wooded crank handle that was clearly reproduction. i don't believe any of the 1909-10 cars ever came from Ford with a wooden handle. Just my .02, take it for what its worth!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic