Charles J
First Name: Charles
Last Name: Jenkins
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28066
Board Member Since: 2017

Help gas tank desperately needed

Post by Charles J » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:57 pm

I have a 24 coupe with a oval tank that's is full of rust I need a good tank would love to find a new one it seams the dealers are out of them right now .Dan said that Gators might have some I don't know how to contact them thanks Charlie Charles Jenkins 84 @ gmail.com

Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Re: Help gas tank desperately needed

Post by Dan Hatch » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:26 pm

Gator AKA Santa lives in LA ( Lower Alabama)
Pm me and I will send you his number. Dan

z_carrico
First Name: Zachary
Last Name: Carrico
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 25' TT doodlebug, Champion Draw Pull/TT sicklebar mower doodlebug, '25 TT Snowmobile

Post by z_carrico » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:27 pm

This is not what you asked for... But I had a tank that when received had remnants of very old gas(?) and copious amounts of rust. Putting a box of drywall screws inside, along with a lye solution, I stuck it in the cement mixer padding it with old rags and let it run for an hour or so, the inside rinsed amazingly clean after and I was able to solder the couple pin holes that were left behind. Maybe there is some hope for a rescue?

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:56 pm

I would give the advice on using screws, pea gravel and etc. and use that to try to remove the rust. I used pea gravel on one of mine and it really helped removing the rust. I didn’t have a mixer to turn the tank but kept shaking it by hand. It took a while but it worked.
Don’t throw your tank away just yet and give it a try. You might be surprised that there is still some life in your rusted up gas tank. Just rinse it several times after you remove most of the rust. I found the rust would come out easier when it was dry.

Brian D
First Name: Brian
Last Name: Dowell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Touring 26 Runnabout 19 Canadian Touring
MTFCA Number: 52162
MTFCI Number: 205

Post by Brian D » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:55 pm

Charlie,
While on Tour in South Dakota I was suffering with sediment plugging the sediment bowl. After cleaning several times and not getting very far before plugging again I thought my tour was over the first day.
I put a magnetic on the bottom (outside) of the tank attracting the rust to the magnetic area.
Solved my problem, I thought temporarily. When I got home I attached a magnet to a 3/8's rod and pushed it inside the tank to the collected rust. Pulled the magnet off the outside of the tank and removed the collected rust. Did this about twice a year for a couple of years.
Still have magnet there, no longer collecting rust, cleaned it right up. Worked ;)
Brian.
People who wonder if the glass is half empty or half full, miss the point. The glass is refillable.
Life is Good, be nice.

tmodeldriver
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Hester
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 touring, 27 touring, 22 TT
MTFCA Number: 26459
MTFCI Number: 20813
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by tmodeldriver » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:41 am

When you have a gas tank that discharges from the bottom you can solder a piece of tubing into the sediment bulb of a length that will protrude about 1 to 1 1/2 inches into the tank. This will limit your driving range a bit but will draw cleaner gas and leave all that tramp metal and rust in the bottom of the tank. The cowl-mounted tanks of 1926/27 won't allow this fix.

The magnet is a good idea also. I plan to try this on my 26. Thanks, Brian

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:18 am

See if you can find a radiator shop that is willing to clean it out, pressure test it, fix any little leaks, and guarantee it, without “coating” it with anything inside or out.

The only problem with a fuel tank that has any flaky rust inside, is that when the rust is removed, it is probable there will be a bunch of tiny holes.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:19 am

Trouble with a stand pipe, it will leave all the water and crap in the bottom of the tank. So the only way to clean/drain the tank is to remove the sediment bowl. It is bad enough that when the sediment bowl is screwed into the tank they stick up above the bottom, they are not flush with the bottom inside of the tank. So when opening the drain valve you are only getting what is in the bowl not what is sitting around it on the bottom of the tank.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:31 am

Have you tried seeing if a local sheet metal manufacture would make a one/some - the price for one vs a few and sell the rest. This place says "no order too small" and looks like they have the equipment to make a tank - need to take your old one.
Source for repro flanges for the cover and sediment bulb may need to be located. Maybe you can get them started reproducing them by explaining current availability. Worth a try
Attachments
tank.jpg
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:53 pm

I had trouble with a gas tank on a 1924 Buick. I sent it to Gas Tank Renu, https://www.gastankrenu.com/, they did an awesome job! If you go that route however, tell them NOT to coat the outside of the tank and NOT to coat the gas cap or outlet threads!

I believe it cost me about $200. Cheap, if you can't find a gas tank, not as cheap if you can buy a new tank.

AZTerry
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Loftus
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 7379
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by AZTerry » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:46 pm

PC230507.JPG
Hello Charles,

I am of course in favor of replacing the fuel tank but over 20 years ago I solved a rust problem plugging the sediment bowl with a VW gas tank fuel filter.
I got the idea on how to do so from the MTFCA carburetor manual. Except the first one I did, I just do it slightly differently.
I still do it today on every T that I work on (except 26-27).

Here is a link to one place it can be purchased: https://www.jbugs.com/product/111209147 ... gIjivD_BwE

I grind the nipple off the sediment bowl.
Then using 1/2" pipe fitting as a guide, I counter bore the end of the sediment bowl 3/16-1/8" deep with a 5/8" drill bit.
I then use a piece 3/8" pipe that I have ground a taper on the end to press the filter into the sediment bowl.
I have just driven them in with a small punch as well.

In the past I have purchased the filter from after market suppliers such as BAP. Those filters no longer work.
The genuine VW filters have an aluminum ring that compressed when you press it in.
The after market filters that I have seen have a steel ring that does not compress when you try to press it in.
My one experience with the steel ring I broke the end of the sediment bowl and had to repair it before pressing in a VW filter.

I hope this information helps.

Thank you,
Terry

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic