FS- McMillan Overhead Valve Cylinder Head Casting

Post parts wanted or for sale here

Topic author
Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

FS- McMillan Overhead Valve Cylinder Head Casting

Post by Dan McEachern » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:39 pm

This is a very nice partially machined aluminum overhead valve cylinder head casting. The deck and top surface have been surfaced and the head bolt holes are drilled. There are no visible welds or repairs - It is a cross flow, 2 port intake, 4 port exhaust design. I've had this on the shelf for way too long and it needs to go to a new home, get finished, and put on an engine. Price is $650.00 . I am taking this to the Tulare Swap meet this weekend, SPACE K23. I have no problem shipping it as well. Contact me with an email thru the forum or dmcgearsATyahooDOTcom or come by and see it for yourself. Great opportunity to get a solid cylinder head casting. These heads were cast here in California, and the story is the patterns were lost in a fire at the foundry.
Attachments
IMG_2560.jpeg
IMG_2559.jpg
IMG_2558.jpg
IMG_2557.jpg

Tea_time_racer
First Name: Antonio
Last Name: Piery
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: some very old cars

Re: FS- McMillan Overhead Valve Cylinder Head Casting

Post by Tea_time_racer » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:36 am

Sent you a PM

Topic author
Dan McEachern
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Post by Dan McEachern » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:47 am

Tony- you have a reply from me.
Dan

Aussie16
First Name: Warwick
Last Name: Landy
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 LHD USA Touring 1916 RHD Canadian Touring 1916 Pickup

Post by Aussie16 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:08 am

what sort of rocker gear would fit? Is it designed to take some easily adaptable modern equipmnet?

Gene_French
First Name: Gene
Last Name: French
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Roadster pkup.
MTFCA Number: 15614
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Gene_French » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:25 am

Dan:
also sent email ... am interested in purchase ,and i have facilities to finish machining and build rockers ...always an optimist ...Gene French

Topic author
Dan McEachern

Post by Dan McEachern » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:15 pm

Head is sold. Thanks

ModelTWoods
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Post by ModelTWoods » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:30 pm

McMillan heads were sold in the sixties. I have a catalog from Becker's T and A Parts in Portland, OR. that listed them. It is the only catalog that I have ever seen them in. They were sold as a complete bolt on kit. I can't remember if they came with an intake and exhaust manifold, but they came with valve train, valve cover, push rods, lifters, rocker arms, etc. Valve cover was finned aluminum with the name McMillan in the middle of the fins.

Gene_French

Post by Gene_French » Tue May 04, 2021 3:02 pm

Terry:
if you locate the Becker catalog with these heads listed i would appreciate a scanning and others would probably enjoy seeing it here or in the forum topics ... always an optimist Gene French

Powerwagonmaniac1
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Becker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 touring, 1917 speedster, 1925 give or take roadster pickup
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Powerwagonmaniac1 » Sun May 09, 2021 9:40 am

Patterns still intact. Finley McMillan still has them and would like to sell them last I heard. My Dad ( Bill Becker) and great Grandpa ( Lou Becker) sold the heads back in the sixties along with a speedster kit Through Becker T And A Ford parts. Finley has been a long family friend. They survived a forest fire that destroyed their ranch in Northern California, lost everything. The patterns where at the foundry during the fire and survived. Finley’s speedster which had one his heads did not. I went for a ride in his speedster when I was five and it went very fast.

I have an unmachined head that I would love to finish someday. Inherited it after dad passed away. It came with rocker arm, head, finned valve cover. Talking to Finley small block Chevy valves and pushrod would work for it.

I have a few catalogs with adds for the heads and speedster kits. The heads were also advertised in the Vintage Ford through Becker's as late as the early 80’s before Dad and mom sold the business to Bill Hills.

ModelTWoods
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Post by ModelTWoods » Sun May 09, 2021 12:00 pm

Powerwagonmaniac1 wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 9:40 am
Patterns still intact. Finley McMillan still has them and would like to sell them last I heard. My Dad ( Bill Becker) and great Grandpa ( Lou Becker) sold the heads back in the sixties along with a speedster kit Through Becker T And A Ford parts. Finley has been a long family friend. They survived a forest fire that destroyed their ranch in Northern California, lost everything. The patterns where at the foundry during the fire and survived. Finley’s speedster which had one his heads did not. I went for a ride in his speedster when I was five and it went very fast.

I have an unmachined head that I would love to finish someday. Inherited it after dad passed away. It came with rocker arm, head, finned valve cover. Talking to Finley small block Chevy valves and pushrod would work for it.

I have a few catalogs with adds for the heads and speedster kits. The heads were also advertised in the Vintage Ford through Becker's as late as the early 80’s before Dad and mom sold the business to Bill Hills.
Well, There you go, Gene; Chris Becker has some of the catalogs with the McMillan ad. I think I trashed my catalog a few years ago.

Topic author
Dan McEachern

Post by Dan McEachern » Sun May 09, 2021 12:05 pm

Chris- so much for rumors and tribal folklore. Thanks for posting about the heads. I tried for many years to find a rocker arm cover for the head and pretty much gave up. If you happen to know if a cover might be available, let me know and I will pass the info on to the new owner. Dan

Mikes 1912
First Name: Lester
Last Name: Husted
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 20

Post by Mikes 1912 » Sun May 09, 2021 12:46 pm

I missed you at Tulare. I wanted to ask you if you have or know where to get a Roof Valve cover, or what will work. Mike Mikes48ford@q.com
Thanks

Topic author
Dan McEachern

Post by Dan McEachern » Sun May 09, 2021 11:56 pm

Hi Mike- 8 Valve Roof or 16 Valve Roof? I've been supplying the 8 valve cover for 30 years or so. For a 16 Valve cover(s), you might try Mike Bender.

Here is a picture of the 8 Valve cover polished.
Attachments
roof cover.jpg

Gene_French

Post by Gene_French » Mon May 31, 2021 11:58 am

Dan M.:
Recieved cyl. head in good condition Friday ... did you happen to have any info. regarding spark plug location specifics ... valve and rocker setup should be fairly simple and will have hard valve seats installed after machining basic bore for valve seat ... any info. including photos of completed cyl. head , rocker assembly etc. would be appreciated ...always an optimist...Gene French

Topic author
Dan McEachern

Post by Dan McEachern » Mon May 31, 2021 12:09 pm

Hi Gene- There has to be a running McMillan head out there somewhere- hopefully someone can provide information. There was a completed head at Bakersfield Swapmeet many years ago,so they are around- somewhere!!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic