Mother in Law seat

Post parts wanted or for sale here

Topic author
tom_strickling
First Name: Tom
Last Name: Strickling
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 11 Torpedo, 18 Touring, 21 TT Huckster, 24 snowmpbile Staude and Shaw tractor conversions, Model T powered sickel bar mower

Mother in Law seat

Post by tom_strickling » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:49 am

My cousin has asked a very good question about the commercialroadster with the single rear seat. WHY? What was the thinking behind this design? I know it is sometimes politely called the mechanics seat, but I doubt many people traveled with their mechanic "in tow" where ever they went. What are your thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.

TOM
“The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off.” – Abe Lemons.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Re: Mother in Law seat

Post by TRDxB2 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:38 pm

From various INTERNET sources
History
A rumble seat (American English), dicky (dickie/dickey) seat (British English), also called a mother-in-law seat, is an upholstered exterior seat which folded into the rear of a coach, carriage, or early motorcar. Depending on its configuration, it provided exposed seating for one or two passengers.
...The 1865 edition of Webster's An American Dictionary of the English Language defines a dickie seat or rumble as "A boot with a seat above it for servants, behind a carriage." Similar to the dickie seat on European phaetons was the spider, a small single seat or bench on spindly supports for seating a groom or footman. Before World War I, dickie or rumble seats did not always fold into the bodywork.Following it, such optional passenger arrangements typically were integrated into the rear deck. When unoccupied, the remaining space, if any, under the seat's lid could be used for storing luggage.

Some old luxury cars could be had with a “Mother-in-Law seat”, which was a seat that slid out of the side of the car so you could take another person (such as your mother-in-law) with you, without them technically being in the car. Despite the obvious brilliance of this idea, some pesky things like "safety regulations" put a stop to it, which is why we can no longer enjoy the benefits of external seating.

For Ford Model T customers who preferred something sportier, Ford also offered the two-seat “roadster” body style. It was a great car for young couples. However, what if the proverbial “third wheel” wanted to come along for the ride? Ford solved this problem by adding a single spare seat between the rear fenders. Given its isolation from the passenger and driver, as well as being entirely exposed to the elements, this seat became the butt of jokes. Wags would call it the “mother-in-law” seat. It also made the already frumpy looking roadster look even more awkward.

Definitions
Wag In context of the 1900's is referred to man full of sport and humor; a ludicrous fellow; a humorist; a wit; a joker.
Today it is a sexist term referring to the wife or girl friend of a sportsmen. :shock:
Third wheel is someone who is unnecessary to a group and is tagging along. In this case, the group usually consists of a couple and the third, superfluous person. ;)
m-in-s.png
Attachments
m-in-s2.png
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:23 pm

"Mother-in-Law", and "Mechanic's", et al, are made-up fantasy names that easily create a visual picture of the car someone is speaking of.

Telling someone that you owned a Commercial Roadster, 1/2 the folks reading this would not know what that person was talking about. If they called it a "Mother-in-Law" car, everyone would know what it was.

Why is the seat there? Well, there might as well have been SOMETHING there that was of little value and easily removed to turn the vehicle into a utilitarian automobile

I believe that this is the ONLY vehicle that FORD called a "Roadster" and forever called every other car of similar body, a runabout, though most folks refer to them as a "roadster"

FORD advertisement here: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80 ... 1247182324
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Sean Butler
First Name: Sean
Last Name: Butler
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring
MTFCA Number: 31557

Post by Sean Butler » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:20 pm

Years ago, on a visit to Harrah's, I was told the seats off to the sides were called chauffeur's seats and were for when the owner didn't want the chauffeur driving anymore and/or wanted to drive himself. These pics are of 2 different 1911 Loziers which could certainly cruise at modern highway speed. That would be quite a ride with just a little hand hold and foot rail to stabilize you. Imaging sticking mother in law out there :shock:
Attachments
Lozier A.jpg
Lozier B.jpg
Lozier C.jpg
Sean Butler
Huntington Beach, CA

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:07 am

Sean Butler wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:20 pm
Years ago, on a visit to Harrah's, I was told the seats off to the sides were called chauffeur's seats and were for when the owner didn't want the chauffeur driving anymore and/or wanted to drive himself. These pics are of 2 different 1911 Loziers which could certainly cruise at modern highway speed. That would be quite a ride with just a little hand hold and foot rail to stabilize you. Imaging sticking mother in law out there :shock:
When the chauffeur was driving where would the owner sit? :?
I'm imaging sticking my mother in law out there :D
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Topic author
tom_strickling
First Name: Tom
Last Name: Strickling
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 11 Torpedo, 18 Touring, 21 TT Huckster, 24 snowmpbile Staude and Shaw tractor conversions, Model T powered sickel bar mower

Post by tom_strickling » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:14 am

Thanks everyone.
“The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off.” – Abe Lemons.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic