Where TB Th400 clutch sets

Post parts wanted or for sale here

Topic author
speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Where TB Th400 clutch sets

Post by speedytinc » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:29 pm

Chaffins sells a special 9 pack. they keep a good inventory on them. Other recent vendors include: Smith & Jones Distributing. They can all quickly re-stock. If I missed a current vendor, let me know, I will revise.

The original speedy T clutch is still being made. In much less volume. There are no supply chain shortages. Still made in the USA. I do sell them individually @ local swap meets, to friends & engine builders. In fairness to my loyal vendors, they are available for wholesale prices starting @ a minimum of 6 units. They can be bought in less quantity for a retail price. Due to shipping costs & hassle, I would recommend purchasing single units from one of the current sellers with other needed parts. Contact me for further info.

The back story.
Some 35 years ago, I wanted a 400 clutch. What was available was such poor quality (sloppy fit & drive hub contact points), I decided to make my own. Speedy T Clutch was born.
I had an expensive die made to re-punch a quality clutch. The best(raybestos) heavy duty truck & racing application disks are used. Grey waffle pattern. For many years "all" the big parts vendors clutch sets came from my garage. Sold thousands of sets. Some rename branded. As I came up with other needed product/reinventions, I built up a small line of products that they also resold. Quality not profit was paramount. After not too long, these products were all counter fitted by the vendors I sold to. I recently discovered one such poorly made product had destroyed the reputation of my original part.(adjustable outside pedal shaft kits) That still bothers me. There was never enough money in any of this to cry over. I am a hobbyist first & proud of the products I produce. Extra pocket money was secondary.
More recently, a vendor/mfg started having their own "better", "improved" disks made for them. That has flooded the market. Buyer beware. Thats capitalism, of which I believe in. Without it we would not have the replacement parts we have available to us. The lack of ethics for a few more $$ is disappointing, but not unexpected.