Advice for starting a car after 10 years on the jacks?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
ModelTRevDr
First Name: Fr. Brian
Last Name: Wilbert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Model T Roadster
MTFCA Number: 51743

Advice for starting a car after 10 years on the jacks?

Post by ModelTRevDr » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:24 am

I'm a bad Model T Owner.

I have a 1923 Roadster which has been up on jacks for over 10 years. Well, I tried to start it last Summer to no avail and, when I went to try this summer, I realized the fuel line to the carb. was shut off. Oy. Of course I broke the brass lever trying to turn it on...I put some WD-40 on what was left of the lever and after letting it sit over night I was able to attach a pair of channel locks to it and move it to the open position. There is gas in the tank. There appears to be a good connection with the spark plugs. I'm pretty sure that I'm priming the motor correctly using the choke before trying to start it. The battery is new. I turn the key and hear a hum... spark is up, gas is down a bit. I have an electric start and when I push on it I can get the engine to hiccup but it doesn't turn over. Once I do this. Nothing happens or, I should say, I can't get the car to even hiccup after this one attempt and it won't start using the crank. I have to wait a spell, then choke the motor, turn on the key and hit the electric start again...the motor hiccups but does not start...

Any ideas out there in Model T land?

My next project will be replacing the back left rear tire as it will not stay inflated....

with appreciation,

Rev. Dr. Brian K. Wilbert
Oberlin, Ohio

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Re: Advice for starting a car after 10 years on the jacks?

Post by CudaMan » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:38 am

Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:15 am

I hope you put fresh gas in it after removing any old gas in the tank. The cranking issue (if present) is either a bad or discharged battery or a loose connection in the starter circuit. It could be the starter istelf, but it's probably a loose or dirty connection. A loose connection will heat up when current flows and gets even looser. Once it cools down, it may work as before. The solution is to clean and tighten all connections at the battery, battery ground, starter switch, and starter. Then be sure you have a good, fully charged battery of the correct voltage and of a size comparable to the original one. If the engine is cranking over at a good rate, your problem is likely in the fuel filter, fuel line, or carburetor. I assume you opened the carburetor adjusting knob by turning to the left for one turn or a little more. Choking the carburetor with the adjustment open one turn and cranking the engine for several revolutions should cause gasoline to drip out of the carburetor.

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:23 am

Re: The tire: Replacing the inner tube will probably get the tire in shape to use, but all the tires are suspect due to their age. I would consider replacing the tube only, and if the car proves to run well, consider replacing all four tires and tubes.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:25 pm

While this question should be on the General Forum, I will post this;
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/8538.html
This section is for help with the site, not car questions. I will tag one of the moderators to move it there.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic