Video Thread?

Can’t log in? Having a problem with the Forums? Have a question about how something works? Get support here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
JP_noonan
First Name: John
Last Name: Noonan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Runabout

Video Thread?

Post by JP_noonan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:34 pm

Now that we have this great new Forum, it seems like an opportune time to share vids of our cars, restorations and adventures. What do you think? My vids are far from perfect in every sense, but I'll add these two of when i first acquired it , and a little work done after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnRSdq7wUNI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSDHjgIbYqI
Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Doug Keppler
First Name: Douglas
Last Name: Keppler
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 49716
Board Member Since: 2016

Re: Video Thread?

Post by Doug Keppler » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:45 am

John that's a beautiful restoration, runs like a champ! Did you do the work yourself?
1924 Touring car
There's No Substitute for Proper Lubrication

Topic author
JP_noonan

Post by JP_noonan » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:55 pm

Thanks Doug, the truth is i have only a small part in how my T looks today as the previous owner did all the hard work with a complete restoration back in 86. As far as the engine goes, i did pull it out a few years back due to some toasty triple gear bushings. While i had it out to repair the bushings, i went through the entire engine and found some things that i knew could use some updating. First i replaced the triple gears with some of Dan McEachern's beautiful roller bearing triple gears, along with his bronze timing gear to replace the nylon gear that was in place. I then found that the engine builder had non-adjustable lifters installed and lifter gap settings between .025 and .030 which was probably a common setting back then, but made for a rather noisy engine. I replaced the lifters with the adjustable type along with new SS valves, and set them all at .012 and now not only does it run great, but doesn't sound like a sewing machine, but like a real powerful 20HP Engine. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BglVMwe ... e=youtu.be
IMG_0654.JPG
IMG_0022.JPG
IMG_0036.JPG
Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

JWalters
First Name: Jason
Last Name: Walters
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Touring
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by JWalters » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:14 am

I like the idea of the roller bearing triple gears. How many miles would you say you have put on your car since the transmission work?

Topic author
JP_noonan

Post by JP_noonan » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:41 am

I would guess about 1000 miles or so with a stock metal disc clutch that works perfectly...Thanks.

Doug Keppler
First Name: Douglas
Last Name: Keppler
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 49716
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Doug Keppler » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:52 am

Triple gear bearings seem unnecessary because they are only used in first and reverse
1924 Touring car
There's No Substitute for Proper Lubrication

Topic author
JP_noonan

Post by JP_noonan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:54 pm

Doug, point taken about the use of the triple gears, but i really didn't want to have do this job again in the near future if at all possible. ;)
Also wanted to say sorry to Jwalters, didn't mean to sound so snarky.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic