Just acquired a "1913" Speedster - questions? Make it Happy!

Can’t log in? Having a problem with the Forums? Have a question about how something works? Get support here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Catbird
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Marsh
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Speedster, 1914 Touring, 1923 Depot Hack, 1925 Calliope, 1926 Pickup, 1927 Speedster

Just acquired a "1913" Speedster - questions? Make it Happy!

Post by Catbird » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:06 am

I just received a 1913 Speedster. Seems to be an incredible build, everything looks new, but zero documentation - I will be asking a lot of questions. I am mostly an old car guy, Packard, Pierce, Thomas, Napier, Cadillac. I recognize that Model T, I have several. It is a very tough car, but unique in many aspects. I have studied the history and lineage, but, now "hands on" and would like to do it properly.

First, Oil? I use 15w/40 heavy duty diesel oil in my brass cars. Is this be well in a Model T? I drained through the upper petcock and got an almost 3/4 full glass mason jar. Obviously over full!

Second thinking about adding a sight glass on the lower petcock? Are these recommended? Looks like a very good idea. I plan no off-road touring! It could otherwise be ok?

Third, I have a new KC Warford and a Ruckstell axle. What grease/oil?

My engine block has the number 50 36 59. This seems to be 1914 or 1915? I am less interested in whether my car is a 1913, but more so as to what year parts fit it. There does seem to be a range from '08 to '27. But where and what.

I am compiling a library of Model T books. Have not tried to start the speedster. I am starting with oil and grease.
Attachments
1903 Engine number.jpg
Bill

You can dissect a Model T; but you can’t kill it!

Petrah Phyre
First Name: Sean
Last Name: Pownall
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 52944
Board Member Since: 2021

Re: Just acquired a "1913" Speedster - questions? Make it Happy!

Post by Petrah Phyre » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:02 am

Bill, you will get a better response on if you post this in the general forum. I know the 'what oil' alone will create quite the input. I , personally, run 15w40 in everything I own.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Re: Just acquired a "1913" Speedster - questions? Make it Happy!

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:54 am

I hope the overfill isn't from coolant or fuel leaking into the pan.

Oil: Yes, that will be fine. https://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG103.html

Oil sight gauge: No. It sometimes appears full when it's empty. If it gets broken or develops a leak you lose your oil. I clamp a piece of clear plastic tubing on the petcocks and only open them when I'm checking the level. When it gets down to half full I add a quart. You can buy or make a checking rod to reach the petcocks without crawling under.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic