Shriner T's

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Michael Peternell
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Peternell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT gas truck, T tractor conversions, '15 touring, '17 speedster, '26 16 valve speedster

Shriner T's

Post by Michael Peternell » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:44 pm

Shot in the dark, but hoping there's a Shiner T guru in our bunch. Anyone?

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Shriner T's

Post by Susanne » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:32 pm

One of my neighbors has one, and we were talking about them over on the Facebook T club a few weeks back... I know just about enough to probably get me in trouble, but shoot anyway...

Topic author
Michael Peternell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT gas truck, T tractor conversions, '15 touring, '17 speedster, '26 16 valve speedster

Post by Michael Peternell » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:48 pm

Got one today. Did a bit googling, mostly complete. Guessing like most things someone knows everything about these.

thom
First Name: Tommy
Last Name: Coffey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '21 Touring

Post by thom » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:23 pm

They depress me, seeing the things done to Model Ts :(

Peter, Memphis TN
First Name: Peter
Last Name: Claverie
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring

Post by Peter, Memphis TN » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:28 pm

I was told by a Shriner friend, that those were not Model T's. They were more modern platforms, dressed up to look like T's, to please the fans. The one he drove was actually homemade, with a Volkswagen engine/drive/rear end, and a tubular frame with both metal and fiberglass parts & pieces to make it look like they wanted. I don't claim that ALL were like that, but his was.

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Susanne » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:31 pm

There was a company in the late 50's and 60's that were making these shriner cars, Briggs motor, can't remember all the details... but no T's were harmed during the operatation of these vehicles.

Topic author
Michael Peternell

Post by Michael Peternell » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:56 pm

Susanne wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:31 pm
There was a company in the late 50's and 60's that were making these shriner cars, Briggs motor, can't remember all the details... but no T's were harmed during the operatation of these vehicles.
Pretty sure you are are spot on. Guy I bought from dated it by the engine his brother rebuilt. ' 78. ??? Bet you are righter than I are!

Phillip
First Name: Phillip
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T Roadster Pickup
MTFCA Number: 50230
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Phillip » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:53 am

I have a McDonough Mini T that I fixed up to look kinda like my 1927 Roadster pickup would have looked like when it came out of the factory. Tinker T is getting ready for a Veteran's Day parade. You can get some parts for the Mini T from Go Kart Guru. The Mini T was made sometime in the 60' by McDonough Company near Atlanta, Ga.
Phillip
Attachments
Mini t 007.JPG
DSCN3975 (2).JPG

Chris Instness
First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Instness
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 runabout, 1923 speedster
MTFCA Number: 52552

Post by Chris Instness » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:35 am

I am just finishing a pretty thorough restoration on my Model T go cart. I would not consider myself an expert, but have had mine completely torn down and put back together. What kind of questions did you have?

Topic author
Michael Peternell

Post by Michael Peternell » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:17 pm

Chris Instness wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:35 am
I am just finishing a pretty thorough restoration on my Model T go cart. I would not consider myself an expert, but have had mine completely torn down and put back together. What kind of questions did you have?
Mostly along the lines of history and who made them.
No real mechanical questions but thanks for asking.

Topic author
Michael Peternell

Post by Michael Peternell » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:25 pm

I took the new owners to check out their car. Doesn't seem to be any buyers remorse!
Attachments
IMG_20200809_154406.jpg
IMG_20200809_154534.jpg

Topic author
Michael Peternell

Post by Michael Peternell » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:45 pm

Very well built! Check out the front axle. Definitely not a half scale model of it but a serious
attempt was made!
IMG_20200809_154655.jpg

jbond
First Name: Herb
Last Name: Spies
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Model T camper, 27 Touring
MTFCA Number: 29830

Post by jbond » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:32 pm

I have one that I restored for my grandson, picture attached. I never found too much current info about them on the web. Below are links to a McDonough web page and a facebook page about them. I think there have been several if not many companies that have made them over time. The only tip I can offer for parts is that I found bicycle tires at Walmart that fit the wood rims on mine. And they even had white tires. I had to rebuild the transmission with bushing from McMaster Carr and I made the case gasket. I replaced the engine with a Honda clone from Harbor Freight that runs super and the price was right (~$90). It fit with only one mod that being an exhaust pipe extension to move the muffler up away from the transmission.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/mcdonou ... equipment/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/399445280191031/

Herb
Attachments
IMG_2791.JPG

dobro1956
First Name: Donnie
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Sport Touring, 1919 Speedster, 1914 Speedster, Wards tractor conversion, non starter 1926 Improved Touring
MTFCA Number: 49575

Post by dobro1956 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:15 pm

The mini-Ts were made by several different manufactures thru the years. I remember during the late 70s early 80s several grocery store chains in Arkansas gave away the little Ts. Kroger, Mad Butcher, Thriftway, and others. Most had either Coke or Dr Pepper logos. So they may have been Coke or Dr Pepper give a ways. I do remember seeing at least one with a Kroger logo.

I have one that was used by Dogpatch theme park at Harrison Arkansas in the 1970s era. The little T go carts were a major reason for the law suits for injuries that shut Dogpatch down. . They were to be driven around a track between guard rails about a foot high on both sides of the track. The problems were that the cars had no safety restraints and some of the body's were big enough for two small children. The cars also had a angle iron framework around the car to "rub" on the side guard rails when being driven. If for some reason the car quit running somewhere around the track, the child or both kids would just get out of the car and be run over by another car, sometimes being dragged down the track between the car and guard rails. Also if you had "little Johney" driving and "little brother or little sissy" got mad at Johney then they would just step out of the car . There was enough room for a kids leg to fit between the car and its "guide rail" attached to the car. Several kids got broken legs from being trapped between the guide rail and car then being dragged down the track by a panicking driver. Dogpatch was a safety nightmare.

The above story does not say the normal little Ts are unsafe, Just the idiots that ran Dogpatch were unsafe.

Topic author
Michael Peternell

Post by Michael Peternell » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:42 pm

All in fun! But got a visual in my mind's eye. Now that would be patina! A little blood and guts on the edges. Again I apologise!

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:51 am

Michael, is that like the one or two pilgrim has?
Neat little buggy!
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

thom
First Name: Tommy
Last Name: Coffey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '21 Touring

Post by thom » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:09 pm

thom wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:23 pm
They depress me, seeing the things done to Model Ts :(
Pardon me, I thought we were talking about those ridiculous Ts with altered wheelbases so they do wheelies, or the two front ends put together on the same chassis. Clown cars.

John Biggs
First Name: John
Last Name: Biggs
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring
MTFCA Number: 270

Post by John Biggs » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:49 am

This site has some spare parts for the Shriner Model Ts available.

https://gokartguru.com/model_t_style_go_karts.php

Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Post by Dan Hatch » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:06 am

The McDonough Power Equipment also made Snapper mowers.
Now owned by Briggs and Stratton, like most mower companies.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic