The Beach Boys yellow pickup.

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Luke
First Name: Luke
Last Name: P
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926

The Beach Boys yellow pickup.

Post by Luke » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:39 pm

I got here in a round-a-bout way after looking at some detail on John Lennon's 80th birthday ... what I found, and was intrigued with, was this photograph:

beach-boys-history.jpg

I've seen it variously described as a 'Jalopy', 'Truck' and a Model A, depending upon the reporter, but I'd like to know what it actually is, and possibly if it still exists. I hasten to add I'm just being nosy, no intention (nor ability!) to buy it :shock: , and I thought others might also be interested...

Anyway it certainly doesn't look like my Model A pickup, the headlights and taillight's aren't 'correct', and what look like V8 wheels seem to 'fit' better than they might otherwise, so I thought I'd ask the question here - I'm sure there will be a number of experts who'll be able to identify it :-)

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Re: The Beach Boys yellow pickup.

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:56 pm

Ford never offered a grass door, so I am thinking it has been modified.
More people are doing it today than ever before !

Erik Johnson
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Johnson

Post by Erik Johnson » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:53 pm

Topic author
Luke

Post by Luke » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:51 pm

Brent: Given Henry's predilection for farm-related manufacturing techniques (Fordite, Soy bootlids etc) I wouldn't be so sure!

Erik: That was excruciating :-)

I'm remain curious as to the origins and subsequent path of the vehicle post this photograph. I'm really surprised there's so little information on it, particularly given this photograph featured as the cover on the 'boys first album (Surfin' Safari). Perhaps it will just end up being one of those mysteries of life...

Topic author
Luke

Post by Luke » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:04 pm

Ok, some more searching using a different engine ... from the following photograph I think it is a Model A (look at the dash etc) but with V8 wheels, odd lights, and of course those grass doors:

beach-boys-history2.png

I don't know a lot about the models that came immediately after the Model A, or even the Model A itself so if anyone wishes to correct me please do!

Also interesting to see what looks like 'Aloha!' painted on the rear of the cab, which I'd guess it wasn't signwritten for the shoot.

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:23 pm

Being that it is loaded down with Approximately 800 lbs worth of teenagers, it is sitting lower than usual so does not look as much like a Model A would were it not so weighted down. Jim Patrick

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:52 pm

It also has later 16 inch wheels so they drop it down some. (Model A's were 21 and 19)
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic