Starting My T

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
TrashMan
First Name: Chuck
Last Name: Griffin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Tudor Sedan
MTFCA Number: 31570
Board Member Since: 2020

Starting My T

Post by TrashMan » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:08 pm

As I said in other posts, I am new to the model T world. My 1925 T Sedan is my first. That being said, my car only starts on mag it runs rough once started I switch it to battery and it smooths out. Is that normal? If I try to start it on battery it won’t start, why is that? My coils only buzz on mag, they don’t buzz on battery. Is that normal? If not, what could be wrong? I would appreciate any help. I don’t have a club member near me, I wish I did.

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Re: Starting My T

Post by Oldav8tor » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:28 pm

Do your coils buzz on mag when the engine isn't running? If so, you're really on battery. As to your other question.... no, it's not normal. Usually a T will run well on either mag or battery. Typically the battery is used for starting because of it's constant voltage not related to how fast the engine is turning over. Once started, you switch to mag. The mag output voltage is significantly higher than the six bolts from the battery.

Have your coils been rebuilt lately? What shape is your timer in? Plugs? Everything in the ignition circuit can cause issues if not in good shape.

I suspect there are some other T folks in your area. Hopefully someone will step up that is close enough to give you a hand.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Peter, Memphis TN
First Name: Peter
Last Name: Claverie
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring

Post by Peter, Memphis TN » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:01 pm

Sounds like the Batt and MAG inputs are switched at the back of the switch, or possibly at the terminal block on the firewall. That being the case, your observations are exactly normal - coils buzz when you crank slowly, and the engine starts when you spin it. Then when you switch to the other input, it runs better.

CAUTION: When fiddling with those connections, ALWAYS disconnect the battery. The reason is, if you should accidentally apply battery voltage to the magneto, even just for a moment, you will probably de-magnetize your magnets, rendering the magneto inoperative. They can be re-charged in the engine, but it's a complex and precise operation.

Topic author
TrashMan

Post by TrashMan » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:19 pm

With the engine off, should the coils buzz if you turn the key to mag? Mine doesn’t. It won’t start on mag. Like there is no spark. Is that normal? If not, how do I fix it? I can start it on battery and switch to mag and it runs better.

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:31 pm

Your coils won't buzz on mag until the engine turns over, either by cranking or when running. That's why many choose to start on battery because the available voltage does not depend upon how fast you're cranking. Switch to mag once it is running. The mag puts out AC with the voltage depending upon engine speed. In any case, the mag voltage will be greater than the battery once the engine is running.

If you try to start on mag you'll need to advance the spark a few notches....on battery you'll want it fully retarded.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:01 pm

If you turn the switch to BAT before starting, you should hear the coils because they're getting current from the battery. (If you turn the switch to MAG before starting, you shouldn't hear the coils because they're not getting any current until you send it to them by pulling the crank real fast. Once started, most will run better on MAG than on BAT because the running magneto supplies more current than the battery does. If your car is the opposite of this, I expect you have some wires crossed.

March 1922 to 1927  Wiring Diagram.jpg
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:20 pm

When the switch is turned to battery, you will only hear one coil sing if the rotor is in position to close the contact for that coil in the timer. Then as the crank is turned, you should hear each coil sing in the proper firing order, 1243.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Topic author
TrashMan

Post by TrashMan » Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:34 pm

I really appreciate all the feedback, thanks guys!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic