Replacing spark control rod

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Divcoone
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Giles
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster
MTFCA Number: 25039
Board Member Since: 2020

Replacing spark control rod

Post by Divcoone » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:29 am

I need to replace my spark control rod. I have the steering wheel off and the have the cap covering the gears off. How does the cup come off so I can pull the rod up and out? I have the retaining split pin out at the spring.
Bob Giles

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Replacing spark control rod

Post by Mark Gregush » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:52 am

What year? I am guessing it is the one piece casting so the whole casting has to come out of the tube after the 2 rivets are removed that hold it in, along with both rods which will require removing the arm on the throttle rod. This job should be done with the whole column removed from the car, not an in car service job. Earlier cars used an upper casting that was riveted to the base, but still an out of car job. After the casting is removed from the column as a unit, the ears on the casting need to be bent out to remove the rods, suggest heating to orange and allow to cool or they can be break off. Repeat the heat process again before closing them back up then reassemble with new rivets holding the casting in the column.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:59 am

You will have to remove three rivets. One is the small rivet that holds the #3530 spark rod lever. The others are the two rivets that hold the #3507 gear case in the column. I would not try to do this with the column in the car. Better to do it on the bench with a vise to hold things steady. You want to anneal (heat and let cool) the metal that is bent over the rod so it won't break when you pry it open.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
Divcoone
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Giles
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster
MTFCA Number: 25039
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by Divcoone » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:09 pm

Thanks, I think I'll try and repair the bottom of the rod without removing the rod.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:11 pm

Wise move Robert. Just replace a section at the bottom of the rod with anew piece. Grind each end to a blunt point so the weld can penetrate, and file back into round. The job is even more satisfactory if you drill and pin the control arm and fit it first.

Hope this helps,
Allan from down under.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic