Exhaust Nut Wrench

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
jagiven
First Name: Jason
Last Name: Given
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Roadster, 25/26 speeder

Exhaust Nut Wrench

Post by jagiven » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:42 pm

Over the years I have read a lot of posts talking about exhaust nut wrenches. How important is it to have one?

In the 8 to 10 years I have had my T, I have never had an issue with this nut. The previous owner started a frame off restoration. Rebuilt the engine, had it back on the chassis and the exhaust hooked up. That is where he quit. He never started it up.

So am I lucky not to have an issue? Or is this a random tool people just like to have?

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Re: Exhaust Nut Wrench

Post by Ruxstel24 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:04 pm

It's handy and has a nice angle to get away from the hogshead. You get a tight one it helps.
And they are one "people like to have". :D

George Andreasen
First Name: George
Last Name: Andreasen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 0...building from parts

Post by George Andreasen » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:05 pm

Well, if you go to remove that nut after its been on there for a few years, you may give anything for one of those wrenches! Don't even think about a pipe wrench......they ruin things in short order.

You might consider the exhaust nut retainer sold by the vendors. It's a very simple and inexpensive gizmo that holds the nut firmly.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:06 pm

When I had an exhaust nut come loose on a trip, I was very glad to have that wrench under the seat. If you're lucky it's a $3 swap meet item.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

gelfling
First Name: John
Last Name: Gelfer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 roadster

Post by gelfling » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:28 pm

I purchased one of the special wrenches, "just in case" a few years back. When it came time to do a valve job, I discovered that the nut on the manifold was larger than the span of the wrench. Don't know how that came to be, but a pipe wrench worked fine for me.

Raoul von S.
First Name: Raoul
Last Name: Vaughn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 truck

Post by Raoul von S. » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:36 pm

There is nothing like having the right tool for the job, and the road to miserable is
most easily found when you don't have them. This one is inexpensive and invaluable
when you need it.

Funny that this question would come up. I am currently trying to remove a stuck
hub from an ancient toilet tank. The collared nut is 2.51", with a 3/16" tall hex face,
requiring a very special wrench that is very large AND thin. Local plumbing supply
houses had no such critter, so I bought a 5" circle drop of 1/8" plate and did some
cutting, welded on a handle and voila ! However ....

The last person to touch it, installed the nut upside down, so my nice, skinny box
end wrench cannot be dropped over the collar to work, and the 1/8" steel too weak
to cut it for use as an open end wrench. So, it looks like I get to go buy some 3/16"
stock, and start all over again !

Now, if the vendors would just carry such a critter .....
"Working today, for a seamless tomorrow"

Dan B
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Blaydon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring

Post by Dan B » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:54 pm

The folks who have them come loose and use the retaining rings are the ones who have not used the Ford wrench. They are available as a reproduction now if you are unable to find an original. They seem to be slightly more expensive at around $50-$60 in my experience.
1923 Touring

JP_noonan
Last Name: Noonan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Runabout

Post by JP_noonan » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:08 pm

Definitely a great tool to have in your collection. I bought one that i thought was was an original, but turned out to be a repop that like others have claimed, was too small for the nut. Not a big deal, but some massaging of the wrench was required for it to fit properly.
Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

TFan
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Riedy
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 25079
MTFCI Number: 18732
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by TFan » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:25 pm

This is my exhaust nut wrench that I picked up this past summer at a garage sale $2.00 just an old wrench to that guy like gold to me. The other is for Raoul this is what I use for that type of nut on a toilet and under the sink on the basket nuts. Jim
DSCN0654.JPG
DSCN0651.JPG
Back road kinda guy stuck on the freeway of life.

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Post by Dan McEachern » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:03 am

On the exhaust nut wrench, you can get by with a big old fashioned monkey wrench. Not as good as the real thing, but . .. On the toilet nut, soak the nut with lacquer thinner. If the last guy used plumbers putty on the joint, that will loosen it up.

Raoul von S.

Post by Raoul von S. » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:01 am

Jim - that plumber's wrench would be great IF the jaws were only 3/16" thick !
I have one like yours, and hunted all over town for a thin one. With the collar nut
installed with the collar away from the tank base, the regular wrench will not fit
in that narrow slot where the hex is. :-P

Dan - we think alike. Been soaking now for a day and a half. The nut is zinc. The
hub is brass, the friction washer WAS steel. 100 years of urine salts have turned the
plumber's putty and washer into quite the bound-on mess. Heat would be the easy
fix, but I am unwilling to get a torch near that porcelain and fracture something made
of solid unobtainium. Best to have patience on this one.

I have tried a large pipe wrench on it, but these apply binding pressure on the hub
as they apply pressure to spin the nut off. A wrench that grips the hex will not, so
perhaps that will be enough to break it loose. We'll see tomorrow afternoon.

J1MGOLDEN
First Name: James
Last Name: Golden
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Model T Roadster
MTFCA Number: 14294
MTFCI Number: 13562

Post by J1MGOLDEN » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:08 am

There is a reason that wrench has a short handle.

I added an 18 inch piece of pipe over the handle for extra leverage.

Then heated the nut area with a rosebud torch so the nut would turn.

That almost worked, but the whole end of the exhaust manifold turned easier and broke off.

If the nut turns too easy, it can loosen on a tour and the wrench is very handy to have along.

The little lock clamp that prevents the nut from coming loose is very good to have installed.

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:59 am

The Ford exhaust nut wrench is an essential tool. There are, as others have mentioned, other tools and tricks that may work in a pinch, but nothing does the job like the actual Ford z wrench. There are other Ford z tools that are also essential, but that is anothet topic for anothet time.

John Warren
Last Name: Warren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Roadster, 25 Pickup , 26 Canadian Touring , and a 24-28 TA race car

Post by John Warren » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:21 am

Those exhaust nuts can be tricky. Heat they bind, use a pipe wrench they bind, use the right wrench and you have a much better chance. Raoul, can you just cut the zink nut with a speedy wheel or rotary file and discard it? I would think you will be installing new any way.
24-28 TA race car, 26 Canadian touring, 25 Roadster pickup, 14 Roadster, and 11AB Maxwell runabout
Keep it simple and keep a good junk pile if you want to invent something :P

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:29 am

Again, my attention span, or rather lack thereof, prevents me from reading all the posts, but once again on this topic I have to add that all I ever have used is an ordinary 24" pipe wrench, and sometimes a good sized channel locks. Never had any trouble. Guess I've just been lucky. :D

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:38 am

The repro wrenches were never too small. One of the vendors was selling a cast-brass nut off and on over the last 40 years or so that was too big on the outside diameter. These nuts weren’t being made for quite a while, but showed up again a couple years ago. The threads also don’t go deep enough in these nuts to get the pipe leak-tight to the manifold. If your brass nut looks cast, it could be one of these. The “good ones” look like they are machined “all over”.

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:19 am

I'm surprised Ford didn't include them in their tool rolls! A year or two ago Bob Bergstadt made a run of beautiful pack nuts. They were not the proper size, and it wouldn't fit the wrench. I think he has the problem fixed now.

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:26 pm

It's been noted that a number of exhaust pipes are not correctly formed. Whether the manifold pack nut stays cinched up tight often depends on how well the pipe is seated on the manifold, and whether gravity and vibration will work against its initial position.
"Get a horse !"

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:07 pm

I have a spanner much like the original T tool, but mine had its origins as an agricultural machinery tool. My weapon of choice for the packnut is an 18" Bahco shifter. It has the same angled head, will fit different sized nuts, and gives good leverage. On our RHD cars we have the added complication of having to work around the steering column.

Allan from down under.

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:39 pm

Allan, any chance you could post a photo of that ? I seldom consider what advantages and problems the LHD cars present, but they fascinate me. I've never seen one in the flesh.
"Get a horse !"

Tiger Tim
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Eckensviller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 cut-off touring

Post by Tiger Tim » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:53 pm

Don’t tell anyone, but when I recognized that the nearest swap meet to me was still an eight hour drive and then a crap shoot as to whether I’d even find the proper wrench for sale there, I went to the local cheap tool store to see what they had. What I ended up with was a 24” long adjustable wrench that so far has worked just fine. Maybe it worked because I had a brand new manifold, nut and exhaust pipe, but it worked. I also suspect my exhaust nut was one of the wrong size ones anyways so the Ford tool wouldn’t have done the job.

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:13 pm

There was a guy a couple years back selling repros that he was cutting from very thick steel. I think he was using one of those water jet cutting tables.

I bought one and have used it. It works very nicely.

My son calls it the "Mother Of All Wrenches".
1924 Touring

Allan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:31 pm

Rich, I am on holiday from posting photos!!!! When I get my new laptop, learn how to transfer photos from my phone to it, unlearn how to downsize them and learn how to post them again, this thread may be long forgotten.
Suffice to say that the shifter is angled back to allow it to pass below the steering column. A direct pull at right angles to the nut is not achievable. The wide jaws on the shifter still allow plenty of purchase on the nut.

Allan from down under.

Raoul von S.

Post by Raoul von S. » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:50 am

Spanner ? Shifter ? Purchase ? What kind of Ingles you speaking there, Allan ? :lol:

John - the nice, heavy brass/bronze hub and fill assembly is a work of art and should
last 1000 years .... IF that nut would only break free !

So, I went and bought a 13" round of 3/16" steel and drew a wrench on it, cut the shape
from the big piece, and began tuning into an actual wrench (spanner) :lol:

A destroyed example mic'd out at 2.51", but the problem nut mic'd out at 2.58", so I
spent some additional time with a big file fine tuning the spread. Got it fitting nice,
braced the tank in a way to get good leverage, and the 11" handle just isn't enough to
bust it loose. It was 2200hrs by this time, so I gave the nut another soak of ATF and
lacquer thinner and left it to think about its behavior overnight. If the soaking doesn't
get it in the morning, I'll see what sort of handle material I have in the welding room
and add another foot of muscle.

Nv Bob
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Middleton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 roadster 1810 brand X

Post by Nv Bob » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:00 am

Its nice had a correct tool
I have ised the plumbing tool pictures above but after ive broken a few i broke down and got one
There was a guy who had some made on a qate jet machine
Have a couple if times taken the manifold off with the pipe still on and taken apart out side the xar

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:08 am

If the nut is stuck and doesn't want to come off, run the car awhile to warm it up. Do the same to tighten.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

ironhorse
First Name: G.R.
Last Name: Cheshire
MTFCA Number: 29759

Post by ironhorse » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:10 am

I got one of those that is smaller than the exhaust nut, fortunately I discovered this before the need arose. I also had the misfortune to break down on the side of town known for shootings I had observed a couple of youngsters coming toward me so I picked up that wrench as I was getting out and they walked off in a different direction without a word being spoken. :lol:
Do it right or do it over,your choice. Drive like everyone is out to get you!

Original Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U

Post by Original Smith » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:47 am

What makes a correct pack nut wrench so nice to use is the angle of the handle. Go with a pipe wrench if you choose, but if you get a chance to use the correct tool, you won't go back to the pipe wrench! You can still find them on ebay for $30-40.

Altair
First Name: David
Last Name: Menzies
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring and 1915 Touring both Canadian models
MTFCA Number: 27825
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by Altair » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:03 pm

Some of the repo nuts are round not hex and the only wrench that will work is a pipe wrench.

RajoRacer
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:24 pm

ROUND???????????????????????? Where are those coming from ???

Original Smith

Post by Original Smith » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:14 pm

What good would a round pack nut do? Maybe someone is smoking a little too much dope, although a pipe wrench on that one would likely do the trick.

Allan

Post by Allan » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:33 pm

I have come across a couple of round ones in my time. Both were steel. One at least had knurling across the outside, and that knurling had suffered under a pipe wrench. I surmised they were for early cars without the flange, so a they did was contain the packing around the pipe. Am I wrong in this assumption?

Allan from down under.

TFan
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Riedy
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 25079
MTFCI Number: 18732

Post by TFan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:12 am

They were probably rounded off from using a pipe wrench on them and chewing off the corners. Jim
Back road kinda guy stuck on the freeway of life.

HalSched
First Name: Hal
Last Name: Schedler
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 23 RA, 25 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 16688
MTFCI Number: 19356

Post by HalSched » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:19 am

As you pull on that wrench think about what's holding the manifold in place while you exert all that pressure.

Altair
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring and 1915 Touring both Canadian models

Post by Altair » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:46 pm

DSC00477.JPG
I have owned this 26 for 60 years and the pack nut was round when I recovered it from the prairie in Saskatchewan.

Allan

Post by Allan » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:55 pm

Well David, that shoots down my theory that the round ones were for early cars, but it supports the existence of round nuts. Yours looks just like I remember the ones I have seen. Perhaps it's a Canadian thing.

Allan from down under.

Altair

Post by Altair » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:51 am

The round nut would have greater strength than the hex nut because the flat portion on a hex nut is very thin and susceptible to cracking, whereas the round nut has uniform thickness all around. I believe I put that round nut on 60 years ago by hand and it has never leaked.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115

Post by DanTreace » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:50 pm

:D Interesting that round pack nut. Did a check of 1923 Canadian Parts and Price list, same part as USA, #3061, plus the illustration in the Canadian Parts book shows hex pack nut! So original is it, or not, interesting round pack nut, guess you hand tighten or use a round wrench :lol:

Just used my repro wrench last evening, put on a new exhaust pipe, and changed out the old hex pack nut, as the threads were worn. The new nut rides on old manifold with threads that are so-so. But the pack nut wrench, Ford design, pulled it snug and safe.

IMG_0005.JPG
Off with the old pack nut, after a soak with spray Kroil penetrating oil.
IMG_0007.JPG

Lined up new pack nut, new pipe, centering the flange. Muffler removed to allow the exhaust pipe to remain centered for the flared flange to stay on the manifold flange. Good amount of anti-seize on threads helps with on and later off of the pack nut.
IMG_0002 (2).JPG
Old pack nut had compromised threads so it really wasn't holding firm enough.
IMG_0010.JPG
Now even with new pack nut, tight with Ford style wrench, the radiator clamp is a good prophylactic for inhibiting that dreaded loose exhaust pipe :o

p.s. Even if this radiator clamp is redundant, it may come in handy on tour for other in distress with fumes in the cockpit!
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

revaz
First Name: Willard
Last Name: Revaz
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1912 Touring, 1915 Roadster, 1922 Coupe, 1924 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 7516
MTFCI Number: 15591

Post by revaz » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:57 pm

When I put the exhaust pipe and nut together, I apply a good amount of “muffler cement” to the threads and contact surfaces. Hardens and seals when heated and never comes loose or leaks.

Original Smith

Post by Original Smith » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:36 am

I prefer the early style 3Z pack nut wrench that Dan posted above.

BenLefebre
First Name: Reuben
Last Name: Lefebre
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: All T's sold now. Selling my parts

Post by BenLefebre » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:02 am

Since I no longer own any more T's, I recently advertised on MTFCA that I have a list of parts,tools etc available on request . One of the tools is a large and heavy wrench with the # 3Z-624 on it.The opening is 2 1/8" across. I no longer have any Original or Repro nuts to check if they would fit. Can anyone tell me which pack nuts would fit this wrench . I wouldn't want to sell it to someone if they can't use it. If anyone would like to see photos -just email me and I'll attach it to your email. I can also attach a list if you like. benlefebre@juno.com

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:44 pm

Yes. 3Z-624 is also 5Z-604. Both are for the exhaust pack nut.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

namdc3
First Name: Nikolaus
Last Name: Martin
MTFCA Number: 32342
MTFCI Number: 23512

Post by namdc3 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:11 pm

I'm all for using the original or reproduction wrenches. However, here's how I solved the problem since those wrenches would be pretty sloppy on my exhaust nuts. I have two cars, and both have nuts with flats measuring between 2.025" and 2.050". Some may suggest they're reproduction nuts; they very well could be, but I know they're at least 45 years old. This adjustable wrench has a nice smooth action, feels good in the hand, goes from 0" to over 2.4", and is only 12" long. It also fits in the nut area on the cars just fine. Yes, it costs almost as much as a Z wrench, but it fits perfectly regardless of nut size or if the nut isn't consistent between its three sets of flats. Plus, you can use it for a lot of other purposes. Just my 2c, in case it could help someone else out. I was extremely pleasantly surprised by the quality. The packaging said it was made in Taiwan.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016O ... UTF8&psc=1
Attachments
wrench.jpg

varmint
First Name: Vernon
Last Name: Worley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: October 26, 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 49462

Post by varmint » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:05 pm

ppnw.jpg
ppnw.jpg (18 KiB) Viewed 11800 times
Same one made from slab of steel and posted in "February" but now painted.
Vern (Vieux Carre)

NHUSA
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Dimock
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 T with Mifflinburg Suburban body

Post by NHUSA » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:38 pm

I got a large Harbor Freight (24 inch) adjustable wrench with a 20% off coupon a few years ago.
It is tight but fully open it fits the exhaust nut.
If the nut is rusty I use a flat file to clean it up before using the wrench.
NH - Where I used to live - not the carburetor ! :lol:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic