Repo electric horn advice requested

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Marshall V. Daut
First Name: Marshall
Last Name: Daut
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe

Repo electric horn advice requested

Post by Marshall V. Daut » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:58 pm

A few years ago I bought a new repo 6 volt Model T electric horn from a reputable vendor. It looks beautiful, all powder-coated black. But - I'm VERY disappointed in its operation - and it wasn't cheap even back then! Does it operate? Yes. Can it be heard with the engine running unless your ear is next to the horn's trumpet bell ? NO!!! I have put up with this for years, but am fed up with people not hearing me honking to tell them not to step out in front of the T as I approach. Is there some electronic gizmo I can connect to the horn that will boost the volume, yet not make the horn sound as though it's being powered by a 12 volt battery?
Marshall

Tim Rogers
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Rogers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe & 1923 Runabout
Board Member Since: 2013

Re: Repo electric horn advice requested

Post by Tim Rogers » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:18 pm

Why not just buy an original one?
<o><o><o><o> Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks - Forum member since 2013 <o><o><o><o>

Topic author
Marshall V. Daut

Post by Marshall V. Daut » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:46 pm

I did! Two of them in various states of cosmetic condition, although both are good and loud. They are awaiting their restoration. In the meantime, that doesn't solve the problem with the virtually new repo horn that I bought for more than the cost of the two original horns combined. I know there is a reducer for Model A horns to go from 12 volt to 6 volt, but I need something that will simply boost my repo T horn's volume. I can't see throwing it away or unloading it as is on some unsuspecting Model T guy. If it gets tossed into a box with other parts, that's just what will eventually happen someday: someone else will get stuck with this whisper of a horn.
Marshall

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:02 pm

The "reputable" manufacturer reads this Forum - perhaps he can direct you to the proper adjustment technique !

Topic author
Marshall V. Daut

Post by Marshall V. Daut » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:05 pm

Maybe my repo horn was defective from Day One? It DOES operate; just not very loud. As I wrote, I purchased this horn a number of years ago from a vendor, not directly from the manufacturer. Additionally, at the time I was collecting parts for a Model T under restoration. By the time the horn was finally installed in the finished Model T, any return privileges or right to complain had long since passed. Also as I wrote, the horn looks excellent and appears to be well-made. My problem is therefore not with the quality of the horn itself; only the volume is very low, even with the generator charging properly at speed. One can barely hear it above the engine noise, if at all, unlike original horns that almost drown out the engine! It was not my intention to vilify the vendor or by extension, the manufacturer. My ONLY complaint about the horn is the volume. Otherwise, it's a great-looking horn. I am simply trying to make the best of the situation and get the the horn to function in the way it is supposed to function, i.e., as a warning that can be heard far in front of the advancing car.
Perhaps if the manufacturer is reading this, he can suggest how to achieve this by tweaking something inside the horn. Failing that, what electrical doodad can I add that might help boost the horn's volume?
Marshall

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:35 pm

Marshall

This is from a post in 2014, and gives the spec of the current to the horn:

reproduction horns and they are made to factory drawings for all but the motor parts so the diaphragm, brackets, motor cover...etc all will interchange with original so if you need anything new other than the motor, I probably can help you. I make the new diaphragm out of stainless steel so it won't rust out. The horn was adjusted for maximum loudness at a draw of 5 amps from a 6V battery.

So you might want to check the amps that your reproduction horn draws when the horn button is pushed. And check too that bracket for the horn is shaved clean at the block and head mounting brackets to be sure of a good ground. Plus, check that the positive wire from the hot button to the terminal block on the dash is connected to #6 terminal, the yellow/black wires, these come from the generator, that is the best amp connection for the horn wire.

19-27 STARTER GENERATOR (2).jpg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Topic author
Marshall V. Daut

Post by Marshall V. Daut » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:48 pm

Thanks, Dan. I tried the horn not only on my '24 Coupe, also recently on my friend's Coupe, both with new "Z" heads. Same results = low volume. The horn is now on my friend's car for the winter. In the spring, I'll check your two suggestions.
Marshall

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:09 pm

Do you use a horn relay? What size wire are using to feed (+) to the horn?
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

ModelTWoods
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Post by ModelTWoods » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:35 pm

Oldav8tor wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:09 pm
Do you use a horn relay? What size wire are using to feed (+) to the horn?
That's what I was going to suggest; a SIX VOLT HORN RELAY.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:21 pm

The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
Marshall V. Daut

Post by Marshall V. Daut » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:01 pm

The color-coded wire to the horn is part of the wire loom purchased for the '24 Coupe. It's the same size as the other wires in the harness, so it must be correct.
What kind of relay would I need to purchase to boost the volume? Brand name? Store? Part number?
Marshall

Lessumner
First Name: Les
Last Name: Sumner
MTFCA Number: 18545
MTFCI Number: 9350

Post by Lessumner » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:41 am

Are you positive the horn is 6 volt? I have a reproduction 12 volt that works on 6 volts but does not have loud volume. Les

Topic author
Marshall V. Daut

Post by Marshall V. Daut » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:36 am

Les -
I suppose it's possible that the wrong voltage horn was sent to me, even though I am positive I ordered a 6 volt version. I have no 12 volt Model T's or A's, so unless I ordered a 12 volt by mistake or the vendor shipped the wrong one, the horn should be 6 volt.

I guess the only way to test the horn's voltage is to hook it up to a 12 volt battery and see if it overdrives. Or can one tell by looking inside which voltage the horn is? Winding direction? I am no electrician. As I have admitted many times in the past, I virtually flunked 8th Grade electrical shop class. My mind is simply not "wired" to deal with electricity. :)
Marshall

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:40 am

A “reputable dealer”, if he wants to remain one, will take the horn back and send you one that works. I would rather have a rusted, dented horn that works, than a beautiful horn that does not. A great looking horn is like a great looking engine. Hidden under the closed hood, it does no good unless it functions. Send it back and have him make you happy. You have been more than patient. Who is the “reputable dealer”? If he sees himself here, he may reach out to you. Having never been notified, he may not be aware there is a problem. Jim Patrick

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:51 am

It was bought a few years ago
It was installed and found to be not very loud
No action was taken to return the product
No contact to the supplier was made
Has been on a car and used for a few years
Owner is now fed up with substandard performance

I very much feel Marshall's pain, but to ANYONE believing the product should be returned, I ask this: Is there not some reasonable statute of limitations for returning a product one is not pleased with? Is there no responsibility on the part of a purchaser to make good faith, immediate contact with the supplier, upon deciding the product fails to perform as promised?

I know the guy who made these and know he would have made it good right away had he been notified. Who knows, he may, still. But if he does it would be a gift, and beyond all reasonable good will.

The belief that after years of use, something should be accepted back for refund by a supplier is a great example of why people are not beating down the doors of suppliers to buy their business' when they're offered for sale. The mere thought that anything I make will be publicly complained about years later for non-performance and then have someone suggest it be returned as "defective" after years of use reinforces my belief to stay small and invest essentially ZERO dollars into infrastructure or tooling.

To the manufacturers of brakes, safety equipment, or anything that has the potential for liability: pay attention to the expectations of your customer base.

There is a bigger lesson here than just horn loudness.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
Marshall V. Daut

Post by Marshall V. Daut » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:08 pm

Just to be clear, I have no intention of trying to return the horn for a refund or exchange. I don't think my previous postings in this thread even hinted at that course of action. I bought the horn around 2009 from Snyder's, but due to other projects pulling me away from my T Coupe restoration in the past decade or so, the horn didn't get installed until a couple years ago when the car was finally ready for it. Only then was the volume discovered to be inadequate. This was way past what I consider a fair return privilege period. I own the horn.
I am concerning myself now with trying to make the horn louder. It looks beautiful, it has a nice goose honking tone the way it should, but the volume is simply too low to be of any use in a Model T with the engine running. No one will hear it if I need to honk it in a panic to warn other cars or pedestrians. Both my T and my friend's T coupe are reasonably quiet (for a Model T!). I can't even hear the horn honking when I am driving in either car. It's not just a "feel good" about my horn issue; it's also a safety issue the way so many modern drivers act in such irresponsible ways.
So, suggestions to boost the volume, please? How will a relay help?
Marshall

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:07 pm

If you go down to the post by John Regan, March 12, 8:20PM he tells how to adjust them;
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/41 ... 1394986061
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic