Speedster Project Update, "Its Alive" "again"

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
dobro1956
First Name: Donnie
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Sport Touring, 1919 Speedster, 1914 Speedster, Wards tractor conversion, non starter 1926 Improved Touring
MTFCA Number: 49575

Speedster Project Update, "Its Alive" "again"

Post by dobro1956 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:57 pm

Well the speedster project is running again. Im going to try and post a link to a video on Facebook. This may be a wasted effort :)

post update:
OK, It appears to have loaded the video, but I have no sound when I click on the link, but my wife's cell phone does ??? If for some reason others do not have sound, All I can say is this thing does not sound like a T in any shape or form. It sounds like a race car ... I still have a little hesitation and an occasional "miss" that I need to chase down, but the throttle response is crazy. With the "Taylor Loudspeaker" dual exhaust muffler/cutout, "Stan Howe" rebuilt OE1 Stromberg carb, American Bosch front plate distributor, bare "magnet free" flywheel, 290 lift camshaft, and I almost forgot, a Rajo 4 valve sitting on top. This thing sounds dangerous ..... :) :) :). If you have sound, the video does not do justice to how this thing sounds ...... A few of you please let me know if you have sound. If not Ill try and chase the problem ..

I have started the engine about 8 times now. I had to re-torque the head 5 times after cooling overnight five times. Before the torque stayed at 50 ft lbs. The last 3 torque checks has not moved any. So Im hoping the head gasket problems are behind me...

https://www.facebook.com/kathy.p.brown. ... 892621554/
Last edited by dobro1956 on Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Re: Speedster Project Update, "Its Alive" "again"

Post by TRDxB2 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:24 pm

Sounds & looks awesome! Need to sign-on Facebook - not sure if you need to set the video for PUBLIC (but nothing else)
I captured a few images for those that are Facebook challenged ;)
Attachments
gbr1.jpg
gbr2.jpg
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

otrcman
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Fischer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring

Post by otrcman » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:51 pm

I got sound just by clicking on your link, Donnie. I don't have facebook at all, so just clicked "not now" when the facebook page showed up.

From the sound of that motor, I think you're gonna need a helmet and a roll bar if you ever put the pedal to the medal for more than a couple of seconds.

And you're right; It doesn't sound like any Model T that I ever heard.

Dick

Dan Haynes
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Haynes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: several

Post by Dan Haynes » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:56 pm

It sounds like an airplane.
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

StanHowe
First Name: Stan
Last Name: Howe
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 19133
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by StanHowe » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:01 am

WHOO!!!!!! That's great!!

Here is probably what the deal is with the sound. Default is mute. There is a little thing that looks like a speaker in the lower right hand corner, that is the mute button. If you click it it unmutes the sound.

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:24 am

Sounds great Donnie - what type of exhaust system you running ?

Topic author
dobro1956
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Sport Touring, 1919 Speedster, 1914 Speedster, Wards tractor conversion, non starter 1926 Improved Touring

Post by dobro1956 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:53 pm

I guess the sound issue is with my computer. ?? It is unmuted and I can barely hear the sound. I guess it may be time for a new computer This one is a 2003 model :) :) That's ancient by computer standards :)

Steve, The exhaust is a "Miles" cast iron dual exhaust manifold like Langs and other vendors sells. It feeds into a Taylor Loudspeaker muffler/cutout. I made an exact copy of the remains of an original one that "Seth" had on his speedster. The "Taylor Loudspeaker" was the predecessor of "Flow Master" Ill attach a link to a post I made when I built the muffler.

Like I said before, It does not even resemble a T engine sound. The video does not do it justice. The period ads shown in the link, describe the sound well with terms like, "he man roar" "sound of a 12 cylinder racer" :) If you were to be outside my shop and hear it running, you would not dream it was a model T.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/82 ... 1530515884

Dropacent
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:04 pm

You might have 40 horses corralled there, buddy. Wonderful job on your bug, I’ve really enjoyed following along!

ModelTWoods
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Post by ModelTWoods » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:30 pm

Sounds Wonderfully Radical, Donnie. Sounds like too much for what I had it for and would have put it in, so I'm glad I sold it to someone who had the time and patience to make it work. I think I'll have all I can handle in my 27 coupe with a Prus head, a Stipe .290 cam, a Chaffins high volume intake and a Stromberg OF carburetor.

Topic author
dobro1956

Post by dobro1956 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:39 pm

Terry, It has been a long road since I got the head from you. I always felt like the head would just give a little more power and ad a "cool" factor to the speedster project. It may just be a combination of all my little things but it really sounds and acts like a real race car. It will be awhile till I can take it out for a spin. I never really planed on long trips or even racing it. I just wanted to see what the early guys were doing. So far I'm happy with how it sounds and acts.

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:48 pm

PLEASE tell us about your exhaust system . I need that sound!!!!!
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:16 pm

Terry, that is almost exactly what I'm planning for my 27 coupe except I have a Haibe Giant Power head and I'm going to start out - at least- with a prototype Cyclone carb and intake I picked up a few years ago from the grandson of the developer of it in Denver. It's about like a U & J. Might be too fast for a Coupe. Might have to build a speedster. Donnie is pretty inspiring. I've watched that video about ten times so far.

StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:18 pm

Donnie, there is a little slider on the screen by the speaker icon that you click to unmute the sound and on your keyboard above the numbers on the right side there are two press buttons with speaker icons on them. Press the right one to raise the volume.

Topic author
dobro1956

Post by dobro1956 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:36 am

TRDxB2. In one of my posts above I have a link to when I built the Taylor Loudspeaker muffler/cutout. You will have to build your own as they do not seem to exist anymore. I can supply the measurements if you decide to build one. I also used the cast iron dual exhaust sold by the vendors. I believe Chaffins is the manufacturer of them. It is a very nice product.

Stan, I tried all the little buttons and mute settings. It did not help. I had this problem before. I think it is a problem with my sound card, or video and sound card not in sync. Sometimes it just fixes itself after a day or two. It has fixed itself at this time.

StanHowe

Post by StanHowe » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:44 am

Good! Mine is usually some kind of operator error. I'm not as smart some days as I think I am either.

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:36 pm

My computer simply ignored me. Browser must be too old.
So I used my phone, unmuted the video and WOWEE! That's cool!
Nope, the phone didn't do justice!
At 47-48 seconds, is that a piece of carbon that flew across from 3 or 4 and went Bap!
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Topic author
dobro1956

Post by dobro1956 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:32 pm

Duet, I'm not sure what that was. I have a big double blade fan that has 12 separate blades. It moves a lot of air. You can see it blowing my shirt at times. So the fan probably picked up a piece of trash on the floor.

I hope to get the AC brakes hooked up soon, and then try to get it out of the shop the first nice day we have.

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:42 pm

dobro1956 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:36 am
TRDxB2. In one of my posts above I have a link to when I built the Taylor Loudspeaker muffler/cutout. You will have to build your own as they do not seem to exist anymore. I can supply the measurements if you decide to build one. ...

Stan, I tried all the little buttons and mute settings. It did not help. I had this problem before. I think it is a problem with my sound card, or video and sound card not in sync...
Donnie, yes I would appreciate the measurements of the unit you put together as they are need to get the sound (like a pipe organ)! The exhaust manifold and I don't think the length of exhaust pipe shouldn't matter., we'll see. I reviewed the photos and looks like just need some diameters and lengths. RSVP my email and I'll send a photo to use as reference

As far as getting sound - there are some settings that need to be in sync to get it. Not sure what Computer/operating system your using (Windows 7 , 10 ?) If Windows 10 then this picture should help
Attachments
sound control.jpg
Mick Jagger

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic