More custom French Model T's. I get sidetracked way too easy......

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Rob
First Name: Rob
Last Name: Heyen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Models B, F, K, N, Ford racer and 3 Model T

More custom French Model T's. I get sidetracked way too easy......

Post by Rob » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:54 pm

During my searches of French sites (keep it out of the gutter....... ;) ), I kept coming across a Ford in the twenties competing in hill climbs and other events. Finally, I noticed this twenties Ford ran a hill climb that the Ford Special ran in 1911. I thought i'd compare times, and see how a later day T did vs. one of the special engines (the French Ford Special was only a few cubic inches than a standard T, but had the same features as the other Specials, external mag, pressurized oiling, etc.).

This is a little of what I found. This particular type was built by Charles Montier. Montier became involved with automobiles and racing in the late 1890's. By the time he introduces the "Montier" T, he's a Ford dealer with his own garage. Below is a link with one of the Montier Specials that still exists, along with a history of the cars. Montier improvements included an overhead valve kit and patented lowered front suspension, along with rear lowering, shocks, and other features.

https://ford-t.jimdo.com/ford-t-montier/

IMG_2468.JPG
IMG_2464.JPG
Beside two Bugatti's at the 1923 Twenty-Four Hour Le Mans:
IMG_2475.JPG
Winning the 3 liter division and 2nd best over hall in this 1924 French hill climb:
IMG_2479.PNG
So many T's, so little time.......

Topic author
Rob
First Name: Rob
Last Name: Heyen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Models B, F, K, N, Ford racer and 3 Model T

Re: More custom French Model T's. I get sidetracked way too easy......

Post by Rob » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:38 am

My friend John Page, a regular poster from Australia, sent this email with additional Montier information. John later wrote that he's been unable to log on to the new forum, so I'll post his note:

G’day Rob,
Just noticed your Forum Thread on the Montier Fords.
Back in 2013 Chris Martin one of our Aussie Model T enthusiasts published a little booklet on the history of the Montier Fords.
See Attached Forum discussion from that time.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/33 ... 1386736167

I have a copy of his book. Not sure if he has any now.!!
Best regards, John.
IMG_2486.PNG
Another photo of the Montier Specials:
IMG_2485.JPG

Kaiser
First Name: Leo
Last Name: van Stirum
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Kaiser » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:58 am

Rob this dig of yours is going to end up looking like a prairie dog town :lol:
Keep digging, i love it !
When in trouble, do not fear, blame the second engineer ! 8-)
Leo van Stirum, Netherlands
'23 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:28 pm

Excellent sidetrack!
Loved the French video too! Gosh they talk fast, if I could've read the dialog I could've gotten most of it. :)
I had a '73 German Ford Capri. It was only good for 105 MPH tho.
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Chris Martin 2
First Name: CHRIS
Last Name: MARTIN

Post by Chris Martin 2 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:40 pm

Just found this and as I have not been on here for a log time I had to register again to log in. Yes, I do still have just a couple of copies of the Montier book left, but for the cost of postage they are probably best kept for Australian members, contact me at ckmart2017@gmail.com
If anyone in the USA wants one I can forward enquiries to the publisher or you can visit the website direct at https://www.velocetoday.com/ and Peter can supply copies from there. Since publication I have tracked down another survivor in the USA but I will start a new thread about that one.

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:25 pm

Magnifique!
When did I do that?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic