1911 firewall

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Art Ebeling
First Name: Art
Last Name: Ebeling
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 touring 14 runabout
MTFCA Number: 50718

1911 firewall

Post by Art Ebeling » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:44 pm

My 1911 touring car project came with only the bottom of the two piece firewall. Can someone post the dimensions of the windshield riser section of the firewall? Is the windshield riser section constructed of a solid board or plywood like the bottom section? Thanks, Art

Marshall V. Daut
First Name: Marshall
Last Name: Daut
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe

Re: 1911 firewall

Post by Marshall V. Daut » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:02 pm

Art -
I have been working on the "American Pickers" 1911 Model T abomination for the past couple years off and on. The body is 1911, but most the rest of it came from various other years. I redid the firewall last year, so I am able to give you the measurements of the upper piece, which is made of the same material as the lower one: 28 1/2" length and 4" tall, with rounded edges on the top corners. There is a concave curvature running along the bottom of the piece so that it will sit nicely on top of the brass trim piece that encases the lower firewall. See photos.
Why not drive over to Davenport (Iowa) and see this work-in-progress? I'll take you over to Craig Beek's private brass Model T museum in Moline where you can examine a couple show-winning 1911 Model T's among 25 or so other OUTSTANDING brass T's. You can also pick up Larry Jenkins' Model A rear fender fixture you wrote me about last year. I was finally able to dig it out of storage.
Marshall
Attachments
IMG_1690_resized.jpg
IMG_2292_resized.jpg
IMG_2288_resized.jpg

Topic author
Art Ebeling
First Name: Art
Last Name: Ebeling
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 touring 14 runabout
MTFCA Number: 50718

Post by Art Ebeling » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:07 am

Thanks Marshall, I notice your length of 28 1/2 inches is about 3 3/4 inches shorter than the top of the lower section of the my firewall and in your pictures appears about the same. In every picture I have seen of an 11 the riser part is the same width as the bottom section. The bottom section is also narrower at the top than the bottom and in pictures the riser part appears to follow that same taper. I guess I do need to see one in person. Thanks for the offer of the fender holding tool. If I can get away from work long enough I will take you up on your offer. Art

Marshall V. Daut
First Name: Marshall
Last Name: Daut
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe

Post by Marshall V. Daut » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:57 am

Art -
That's a good point. As I wrote, this car was a mess of parts from almost every year Model T. We are slowly replacing the incorrect parts with authentic ones, and of course it was the rare and expensive parts that were missing or were incorrect! I don't think this firewall is original. It may be an older repo. But I wonder why someone went to all the trouble of cutting a new firewall, drilling the appropriate holes in the right places, and then making the piece below the windshield too short? The wood matches each other between the two pieces. There were multiple suppliers of bodies, weren't there? If the former "restorer" (a very generous description for his work) had used the original firewall as a pattern for making the new one, is it possible that the maker of this body typically made this windshield piece shorter than we normally see? Nah!!! I don't think so, either. We would have seen documentation on this by now if that were the case. It appears that this car has bitten me in the posterior once again and that a new firewall may need to be ordered. 'Sorry for the bum steer. I am learning about early brass cars as we go and sometimes the experience isn't always pleasant. $$$$$
Marshall

Walter Higgins
First Name: Walter
Last Name: Higgins
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Open Runabout
MTFCA Number: 396
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 153

Post by Walter Higgins » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:35 am

art ebeling wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:44 pm
Is the windshield riser section constructed of a solid board or plywood like the bottom section? Thanks, Art
Neither piece would be plywood. The firewall itself was constructed of a random width board-core with a veneer. The filler board was a single board, not plywood. I don't have the specs for a Touring, but in the case of T/OR's it is the same width as the firewall and I have never seen era photos of Tourings showing otherwise.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:40 pm

I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

dllr28bl
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Woolf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Touring

Post by dllr28bl » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:22 pm

Here is a picture of the firewall and filler board from my brother Jim's 1911 T. The firewall is new and was made using the original as a pattern. It has the original brass trim. The filler board was in good enough shape to re-use. It is made from a single piece of wood and is the same length as the firewall.

Dan
Attachments
DSC_0077.JPG

Nikko012
First Name: Raymond
Last Name: Emling
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Torpedo, 1914 roadster, building:1910 roadster, 1911 touring
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Nikko012 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:07 pm

If you contact the Henry ford museum in Dearborn, MI, they might have the original plans of the firewall. that is what I did when I when to restore my 1911 torpedo's firewall.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic