13T - Insufficient Cooling

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Darin Hull
First Name: Darin
Last Name: Hull
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Model T
MTFCA Number: 29699
MTFCI Number: 25147
Board Member Since: 2010

13T - Insufficient Cooling

Post by Darin Hull » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:18 pm

Does most of the heat transfer from the internal combustion process to the coolant occur in the head?

Last season I purchased a new Brassworks radiator with flat tubes. A visual inspection of the coolant area of the head revealed heavy scaling/rust. I repeatedly treated the head/water jackets with products like Evaporust and seemed to make progress on removing a lot of deposits. I also use distilled water to not add future deposits.

Despite the new radiator and treated head, I still seemed to run hot most of the season and would overheat if I stopped too long, say in a drive through. I even thought I was going to overheat during a Christmas parade, with a lot of stopping, when temps were in the 40s. This determination from knowing on my Boyce motometer what temp I usually run at and when I know I’m running hot. Usually, my T’s coolant temps are in the 215-low 220s when I come in from a normal ride.

I’ve read in previous threads how Ford’s thermosyphon system is sufficient and overheating issues are a result of a portion of that system not performing adequately. So, in consideration of having a brand new flat tube radiator... would heavy scaling on the head be the most likely culprit since it may be severely reducing the efficiency of heat transfer? Is a new head the only remedy since I’m not interested in adding a water pump?

Thank you for your time,
Darin
Last edited by Darin Hull on Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mark Chaffin
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Chaffin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Speedster, 1927 Lake Roadster
MTFCA Number: 31705
Board Member Since: 2001

Re: 13T - Insufficient Cooling

Post by Mark Chaffin » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:27 pm

You may want to check your timing to make sure you are not running retarded. Also, try running distilled water with water wetter instead of coolant. Model T engines are not a fan of radiator coolants as it takes much more heat for the coolant to begin to flow (boil). Lastly, check your fan to be sure it is turning. With a new flat tube radiator, you should not be running hot. Good luck!

Erik Johnson
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Johnson

Post by Erik Johnson » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:45 pm

In addition to ignition timing mentioned above:

- make sure you have the proper oil level in the crankcase

- try richening the fuel mixture

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:46 pm

If your engine water jacket is very rusty, it's quite possible that rust and debris has made its way into the upper tank of your new radiator and lodged in the top of the tubes. Rust can also plug or restrict the "steam holes" in the block and head and allow trapped air and steam to accumulate. Leaky valves, a late spark, too rich or too lean mixture, and poor oiling system performance can contribute to overheating, as can dragging bands and anything that adds materially to the car's rolling resistance.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:24 am

I believe the head would have to be suffering from major clogging to interfere with sufficient cooling. But lots of crud in the head certainly doesn't help. In addition to rust removing products (Evaporust, vinegar, etc.) you can do some physical scale removal. With the head removed, be sure the five ¼" holes in the block and the five in the head are completely clear. Get a piece of steel cable a little over a foot long. Unravel the end to make it into a wire brush. Chuck the other end in a drill and feed the rotating brush into the three large water passages in the top of the block and the same in the head. Do all this dry and blow out the loosened crud with compressed air. If you find that you're removing a lot of debris from the block, you may want to remove the casting plugs and insert your rotating brush through those holes too, to get some of the stuff you didn't reach through the other openings.

All this may be for naught. Your overheating may be for reasons the other guys have suggested (running too retarded, too lean, etc.).

Will other products cool better than regular antifreeze? Maybe. But you shouldn't need them. In a clean system with a new radiator, ordinary antifreeze mixed 50/50 should remain well below the boiling point. I use distilled water to prevent mineral deposits and antifreeze to prevent rust.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Craig Leach
First Name: craig
Last Name: leach
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Firetruck/1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 26647

Post by Craig Leach » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:24 am

Hi Darin,
Everyone has hit on possible issues. Did you install the new radiator because you had a overheating issue to begin with? or did the the heating problem come after? I assume the radiator is puking water out when it gets hot and the motometer is accurate? You stated that you often have Temps. of 215*to 220* water boils @ 212* at sea level if I remember correctly. My motometers are not graduated that way how are you determaning those Temps?
Have you tested for combustion gasses in the radiator? Most T owners have a water pump they took off of thier car, if all else fails it would be better than burning up the engine trying to find a solution. See if you can borrow one? Look around shop & garage doors I hear they make great door stops.
Craig

Philip
First Name: Philip
Last Name: Thompson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 touring

Post by Philip » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:05 am

i put the same rad. on my 24 and i done even need the fan belt and im in nc where it gets real hot.
i would say you have some issue. philip

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:02 am

There is a difference between running hot and boiling! Several things to consider:
1.The top tank of the radiator should be only filled about half way up. The coolant should be about the level of the Ford Emblem. If you over fill it will go out the overflow as the engine gets warmer. This is normal and not overheating. When the coolant reaches the proper level it should not flow out.
2, On a hot day after a hard run and you turn off the engine, it will usually gurgle for a few seconds, but not boil out. That is also normal.
3. The motometer does not give you the number of degrees. It does have a mark which indicates average summer temperature. If the red goes all the way to the top, it would indicate overheating.
4. An indication of boiling would be steam coming out with very hot water boiling out.
How are you measuring the temperature in degrees? Is it while driving, or after you turn off the engine? It is normal to get a little hotter as the coolant rises without the fan blowing or air blowing from forward movement, so it would read a bit hotter right after you turn off the engine than while it is running.
5. The green old fashoned antifreeze coolant, also raises the temperature of the boiling point. It has rust inhibitor in it and is good to run in the car. 50-50 mixture is best.
Anyway, take into consideration all of the above before deciding that the engine is really overheating. This consideration includes the suggestions of the other posters above.
Norm

Bud Delong
First Name: Kenneth
Last Name: DeLong
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring,1915 roadster

Post by Bud Delong » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:21 am

Are the side pans on your car?? I pulled the sheet metal cover off the lower dash and you would be amazed at the air flow and cooling. :D Bud.

Topic author
Darin Hull
First Name: Darin
Last Name: Hull
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Model T
MTFCA Number: 29699
MTFCI Number: 25147
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Darin Hull » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:50 am

Excellent feedback and I appreciate the additional issues to check as I work through the overheating.

My oil level has been good, I monitor it prior to every drive. The timing is something I’m working on right now. I have the fully retarded timing setup correctly; however, I noticed I wasn’t getting a full range of travel out of my timer. This was due to the commutator rod having too much flex and it requiring a decent amount of input before moving the timer. I just received a new commutator rod from Lang’s and will install it this week.

My mixture I setup with the online MTFCA guide on setting the mixture for a Holley NH carb. I haven’t tried to make the mixture richer and see what impact it has on the operating temps.

It sounds like it is time to pull the head, if head gaskets aren’t back ordered. An inspection would produce better information as to its condition.

Craig,

I was passed the T from my grandpa and it had not run for maybe 10 years. So, I have no prior driving experience on the T with the old radiator. The old radiator was past its service life so I got a new flat tube radiator in preparation to get the T on the road, again. Also, I have not tested for combustion gases in the radiator. The motometer is pretty accurate as when it gets to the top of the open circle, I know the water puking and steam is about to start.

Norman and Craig, You asked about the motometer and, of course, mine is not graduated either. I have a digital thermometer I keep with the T which I used to take coolant temps immediately after my drives. Was comparing the coolant temps to differences in ambient air temp, what kind of driving I was doing that day, etc. Most of the time I have a quiet gurgle and nothing more... as long as I’m moving or only briefly stopped, I’m good.

Thank you for the feedback,
Darin

Colin Mavins
First Name: Colin
Last Name: Mavins

Post by Colin Mavins » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:01 am

Are you running a water pump , I removed mine and the temps dropped 20 degree's I am still using the original 109 year old rad and work just fine . My rad was rodded out about 1968 by a shop that knew old rads one tube is blocked.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:10 am

For a head gasket contact Adam Doleshal.

IMG_5392 copy.JPG
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:16 am

The problem with taking the temperature immediately after driving is that without air blowing through the radiator, it will heat up for a few minutes. The circulation stops when the cooling of the radiator ends when your fan stops.
I think you will find the engine will run cooler when you are able to advance the spark. So wait until you install the new rod and adjust to fit. Also another thing to consider is the length of the fan belt. Sometimes if the wrong belt is used, your rod will hit the belt preventing you from fully advancing the spark.
Norm

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:01 pm

Steve Jelf wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:10 am

IMG_5392 copy.JPG

I do have a few of the graphite head gaskets available. If you need one, just email me thru the forum. (Click on the contact “cloud” with the three dots inside it and then click on the envelope that appears)

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:02 pm

Cam timing could also affect running temperature as could valve stem clearance.

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:12 pm

Lang's has the copper head gaskets again, also the "fancy" period correct fuel shutoff valve for the carb that doesn't seize up and doesn't leak! I just got one of each last week.

lesvonnordheim
First Name: Les
Last Name: Von Nordheim

Post by lesvonnordheim » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:40 am

I walked the walk with over heating problems with my 13 touring before adding a Texas T new water pump. That was over 15 years ago and the car runs great. Besides a brass works flat tube core radiator....I did clean out the head and block with Phosphoric acid during the re-build over 20 years ago. I run 50/50 coolant and the cooling system stays clean. The engine is bored .080" over which may contribute to over heating....however the water pump allows me to enjoy driving the car. Just keep the hood down and don't talk about using a water pump and enjoy life. I don't think all fords were created equal and all do not cool or perform the same.

Les

dmdeaton
First Name: Danny
Last Name: Deaton

Post by dmdeaton » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:48 am

Adam wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:01 pm
Steve Jelf wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:10 am

IMG_5392 copy.JPG

I do have a few of the graphite head gaskets available. If you need one, just email me thru the forum. (Click on the contact “cloud” with the three dots inside it and then click on the envelope that appears)
Adam
I set you a email

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:25 am

I would 2nd what Steve J has to say about cleaning out the water jacket holes in the block and head.
After years and years the holes do get ‘smaller’ with layers of rust and scale. It’s kind of like when your arteries get clogged!
It’s kind of forgotten about when upgrading you radiator and thinking that’s all there is to it.

If you haven’t used a drill bit to clean out the small holes in the block and head you might be surprised how those small holes play a good part in water circulation.

If you haven’t cleaned out all the water jacket passages it’s something that sure can’t hurt whether you need it or not. Hope this can help.

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Post by Dan McEachern » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:15 pm

those holes are actually steam vents to keep steam pockets from forming in the corners of the block around the front and rear exhaust ports. As soon as a steam pocket forms, heat transfer in that area goes way down.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic