Virginia State Inspection

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Tom Hicks
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 32518

Virginia State Inspection

Post by Tom Hicks » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:47 pm

In the State of Virginia, if one is going to use a vehicle for "daily driving", it has to be inspected. That is the law and I approve. If a vehicle is over 20 years old one can put antique tags on it and skip the inspection, but that vehicle can not be used as a daily driver.

My speedster is a daily driver, and I drive it weather permitting i.e. not raining and over 40*. It is the vehicle I drive the most, it is a blast to drive. I have gotten the annual inspection three times, and always passed no problem. I want a tight inspction because I want it safe for me and other drivers. I have been seen by probaly hundreds of local police, some even give a thumbs up. I have also been seen by many State Police, and I think that they respect the fact that I go to the trouble to get a State inspection.

Today I went for a walk in the park and when I got back to my car there was a State Policeman who said my car shouldn't pass inspection for three reasons:

The windshield is some type of plastic, not safety glass. I think he is correct on this, and replacing the windshild with safety glass should be easy.

Since the car did not originally have front brakes, it can not have front disc brakes now. Only original equpment is allowed. I pointed out that it does have the origianal parking brake and original transmission brake, both in good working condition. He said that did not matter, I am not allowed to have any braking system that did not come on the car originally. I think he is wrong on this.

I have replacement Jeep headlights marked DOT SAE. The officer says I need original Model T headlights, and that no LED headlights are allowed if they have more than six lamps, mine have a lot more than that. And, I am not allowed to put Jeep headlights on a Model T. I asked if I could put original lights on which are inadequate for running 60 after dark, and then use the DOT SAE headlights as auxillary lights. The officer says no, I can only have original headlights on the front of the car. I think he is wrong on this.

A Virginia State Policeman who specializes in State Inspections is going to call and hopefully I can get him to come by my house and inspect both the speedster and Ellie Mae which is close to being on the road. She too will be a daily driver.

My goal is to have a vehicle which is safe to drive on modern roads (not Interstates) on a daily basis. I am basically law abiding and I thought I was doing things correctly. Time will tell.

Has anyone had a similar experience or suggestions.
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Re: Virginia State Inspection

Post by Ruxstel24 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:02 pm

I surely don't know VA laws, but sounds to me he was just trying to be a know it all...or maybe another descriptive adjective. :roll:

varmint
First Name: Vernon
Last Name: Worley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: October 26, 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 49462

Post by varmint » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:28 pm

It sounds like there is a confusion between daily driver and historic tag.
An auto with a antique plate, I was told over 30 years ago, cannot even be painted a different color.
But if you run an antique plate, then you are not allowed to use it as a daily driver, so, i assume that you must have a regular VA plate on it.
If the officer saw an antique plate on it then he is right and you should remove it and put a normal plate on it.
Even though i used to live in VA, I am not up on the current laws.
Vern (Vieux Carre)

katjack78
First Name: John
Last Name: Jackson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1927 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 15186

Post by katjack78 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:03 pm

Good 'ole Virginia, the communist state as the truckers refer to it. I too used to live in Virginia until I went off to college in 1968. I guess the cop would prefer you replace the Plexiglas with original plate glass like it originally had back in the day? Do you have a windshield wiper? I know when I first put my speedster on the road in 1965 (with antique plates) in Virginia I did not have a windshield, no fenders, straight exhaust and the car passed Virginia state inspection. I suspect that as long as your speedster retains period correct equipment it will be okay. I would also think your improved headlights would be okay as many vehicles following WW2 upgraded with sealed beam inserts which the states allowed for safety reasons. Also for safety, vehicles improved their rear running and brake lights by installing larger lights and even a right side light. Just food for thought when you talk with the state cop. Hopefully, he/she will be more rational. Good luck!

tinman080
First Name: gary
Last Name: hammond
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 roadster
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by tinman080 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:39 pm

I'd be willing to bet that your inspection station will have to defend putting that sticker on your car. If taken to task the garage could lose their state inspection license for several months, even a year. Reporting a misstep by an inspection station would be a positive action in this trooper's record. Virginia law and order doesn't want any misdemeanors. They will bust their cans to upgrade anything up to felony status. The best thing to do in this state is stay away from the law of any kind. They are not citizen friendly. The old ''us vs them'' mentality.
''Just Passin' Thru.....Slowly! :D

BRENT in 10-uh-C
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Terry
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 Tourabout, 1914 Runabout, 1915 Touring, 1916 Speedster, 1925 Speedster, 1926 Hack
MTFCA Number: 32295
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by BRENT in 10-uh-C » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:42 pm

Tom Hicks wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:47 pm
In the State of Virginia, if one is going to use a vehicle for "daily driving", it has to be inspected. That is the law and I approve. If a vehicle is over 20 years old one can put antique tags on it and skip the inspection, but that vehicle can not be used as a daily driver.

A Virginia State Policeman who specializes in State Inspections is going to call and hopefully I can get him to come by my house and inspect both the speedster and Ellie Mae which is close to being on the road. She too will be a daily driver.

My goal is to have a vehicle which is safe to drive on modern roads (not Interstates) on a daily basis. I am basically law abiding and I thought I was doing things correctly. Time will tell.

Has anyone had a similar experience or suggestions.

Well, several things come to mind here. First, you are NOT using this as a "daily driver" ...which the Commonwealth does not recognize that term anyway. What you are wanting to register your vehicle as, -is what Virginia calls a 'Street Rod'. In essence, that is what a speedster is anyway, so it is not like you are stretching the boundaries there. A Virginia plated 'street rod' may be used for up to 5,000 miles of annual driving, so you are not hindered by the more restrictive Antique tags. In all likelihood, your mileage number will never be challenged however you should be aware of their maximum number and answer accordingly.

With your mention of the braking system, a VA plated Street Rod is allowed to have modern upgrades such as front brakes providing they are installed in accordance with the manufacturers instruction. If there are no specific written instructions for the particular application, then the inspector will use his own opinion as to the safety. If you and '(s)he' disagree on the installation, you may be required to provide documentation from a 3rd party professional such as a certified race car or street rod builder to prove they are satisfactory regarding safety.

With regard to the headlights (-or all lighting for that matter), the Street Rod plate allows the vehicle to use upgraded DOT-approved lighting that meets a minimum standard the Y.O.M. of your vehicle. Having a better quality lighting system is acceptable under the 'Street Rod' plate. The officer is correct regarding the number of lights on the front of the vehicle as there is a minimum and maximum number of lights by law, along with an expectation of placement. There is a fine line between what is considered auxiliary driving lamps and headlamps, -and when you have multiple lamps in separate locations all illuminated simultaneously, it can be confusing to oncoming traffic which is likely why he is saying "No!". I agree with him. Put some DOT-approved LED bulbs inside of original headlamps with good reflectors and take the other lamps off.

And finally, regarding the plastic windscreen, it depends on whether this plastic is DOT-approved which most polycarbonate (-including Lexan) is not, but it seems you have that part under control. The key point to relay to your inspection officer is your Speedster's maximum requirement with a Street Rod license plate is to meet the standards as were set forth in the Y.O.M. Hope this helps...

Tmodelt
First Name: Kim
Last Name: Wynn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Roadster & 1927 Speedster

Post by Tmodelt » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:17 am

What is with the "cop" bashing? My brother is a retired police officer in VA. In his defense, in the 25+ years that he served, he issued only one traffic ticket to a truck driver (a lot of warnings) due to not wanting to effect their livelihood. The one was the same driver on a different infraction on the same day.

He never issued a ticket to someone from out of state as it would cost more to fight than paying the time and he is only human and could have been wrong.

He told me once that he already had his mind made up before exiting his squad car if he was issuing a citation or not. He couldn't be talked out of a ticket, but could be talked into one very quickly.

Before using the "us vs. them" mentality, I ask that you try and see things from their perspective and realize that they are only human and most of the time performing a thankless job.

If anyone would like me to contact him for clarification of this issue, PM me and I will contact him.

Terry_007
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Bond
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1915 Chassis
MTFCI Number: 15718

Post by Terry_007 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:47 pm

Agree that in reality, your car is not a "daily driver". Va's antique auto registration permits occasional use, so recommend you switch to proper antique tags and enjoy. With the rain we've had around here lately, if you drive only when it's nice outside, you are well within the law using those antique tags. That will exempt you from inspection. It sounds like you are certainly a skilled enough mechanic to maintain your car in safe condition without having to go through the inspection. It's also important to ensure your car is properly insured, and if you have regular insurance on it, since it's licensed as a daily driver, you may want to look into your policy to see if any usage restrictions might apply. Be sure to carry a copy of the registration/usage law and your inspection report with you so if challenged, you can be prepared.
Let us know how things turn out.
Terry

Topic author
Tom Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster

Post by Tom Hicks » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:59 pm

Tmodelt wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:17 am
What is with the "cop" bashing?
I hope no one interprets anything I have said so far as bashing.

I think the officer is correct about the windshield, so I went by Safelite. Safelite does not do flat glass.

I found a shop that does do flat glass and I have an appointment to see them later this afternoon. They said that a legal windshield in VA has to be laminated, my present windshield is not laminated that I can see. If my present windshield is not legal I want to replace it. BUT, the present windshield has passed state inspection at two different shops over the years, so?

I called the shop that did the last inspection and they said to wait on getting the windshield replaced, and that the best thing is for me to bring my car to the shop and meet with the State Police there. So, if the police contact them they will call me and we will go from there.

I want a safe vehicle, and I feel I have gone the extra mile to make mine safe, but I might have to go another mile...
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

Novice
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring. 1923/26 Open Express. 1920 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 49832
MTFCI Number: 24686
Board Member Since: 2017

THE GOSPEL! Right or Wrong.

Post by Novice » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:16 pm

Many Police Officers are not familiar with all traffic regulations especially ones for 100 year old antique cars they don't see every day. It is a good idea to keep a copy of The State DMV regulations pertaining to Your vintage car with You when driving. just in case You are stopped by "officer know it all" I think there is still a law on the books in Texas You need someone walking with a lantern ahead of the car at night ? A old Police saying older than dirt.
"You can beat the rap but You cant beat the ride" If He is interested You can offer to show Him the DMV rules. otherwise His opinion is "Gospel" right or wrong tell it to the Judge.
Retired Cop in Texas

Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Oldav8tor » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:25 pm

Geez,
Here in Michigan you can choose to register as a historic vehicle or obtain a regular plate. For either, the state will accept the car as long as it is equipped as it was when new, but also accept items like improved lighting, brakes, etc. Typically the secretary of state's office doesn't even ask about the car and there is no inspection. A historic plate puts limits on your use of the car so I chose to get a regular plate.

When I registered my ex-army Willys M38A1, it had never had a civilian registration. The SOS office ran the serial number and asked for an appraisal but that was it. I got a regular plate but what's interesting is that historic military vehicles have to have a plate in their possession but don't have to display it. Me, I think the State of Michigan for the most part uses a common sense approach although there have been some issues in trying to register recently surplused Humvees.
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:45 pm

I went to the glass shop. They say the windshield is safety glass, the same as they would put in if they replaced it. I does not have a "bug", probably because it was put in before bugs were required.

I went to the inspection station. It turns out that the officer who told me my car would not pass inspection is a Sergeant and he sent one of his men out to the inspection station to have a little talk about passing cars for inspection that had plastic windshields. I told the inspector that the glass shop said it is safety glass, not plastic. The inspection station would like a letter to that effect, so I went back to the glass shop and requested one. The owner of the glass shop, one of three there who looked at the windshield and said it is safety glass, won't be back until tomorrow. He is the only one who can write the letter.

The Sergeant also said the DOT SAE Jeep replacement headlights were not legal, I have to have Model T headlights. I think most would agree that Model T headlights are definitely not sufficient for running 60 mph at night. The policeman whom the Sergeant sent out told the inspector that the headlights had to be DOT. They say DOT SAE right on the lense. I showed that to the Sergeant yesterday when he questioned them. I was very careful to buy headlights that are not "off-road", but there might be a problem with the fact that they have more than 6 LED lights in each headlight. I am still a bit confused on this.

The Sergeant also said I can not have disc brakes, I have to have original brakes. The Policeman who went to talk with the inspection station did not say anything about the brakes. The car has an original working transmission brake along with the four wheel disc brakes.

I like to know that things are correct, legal, and safe. I hope the inspection station and the Policeman can get things straight. If they don't I intend to drive over to State Police Headquarters which is about ten miles from here, and try to find someone who can tell me what is allowed and what is not.

Tmodelt
First Name: Kim
Last Name: Wynn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Roadster & 1927 Speedster

Post by Tmodelt » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:20 pm

Tom, I sent you an email thru the club with info my brother gave me. Call up VS Motor Vehicle Code 462-xxxx. He said to start at section 1157.

He also questioned the officer's knowledge of the code because with that rational, one could never pass inspection on a "hot rod" with aftermarket equipment and 4 wheel disc brakes.

I have the disposition to push issues (respectfully of coarse), take the ticket before the court and then class action suit for discriminatory enforcement.

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:39 pm

Tmodelt wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:20 pm
Tom, I sent you an email thru the club with info my brother gave me. Call up VS Motor Vehicle Code 462-xxxx. He said to start at section 1157.

He also questioned the officer's knowledge of the code because with that rational, one could never pass inspection on a "hot rod" with aftermarket equipment and 4 wheel disc brakes.

I have the disposition to push issues (respectfully of coarse), take the ticket before the court and then class action suit for discriminatory enforcement.
I received your email and I appreciate your advice. The Sergeant did not give me a citation. I suspect he would have if I had given him any crap, but I made it clear I want to do things right, hence getting the car inspected in the first place. He did tell me the inspection station was "in trouble". I didn't want to cause them any problems. I don't want to cause anyone any problems. There is some confusion here.

I plan to just post the facts as they come in, maybe it will help someone in the future.

Eck
First Name: William
Last Name: Sheppard
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Roadster pickup
MTFCI Number: 24498

Post by Eck » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:35 pm

I run re issued 26 antique plates on my truck. Three hours in DMV, a return trip the same day and an hour with the DMV in Richmond on the phone, at last I got the plates issued. I also want to go by our state laws and be safe. It bothers me when I see daily driven cars with Antique plates abusing our laws. Please update info so we can keep our cars within state laws.

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:52 am

Eck wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:35 pm
I run re issued 26 antique plates on my truck. Three hours in DMV , a return trip the same day and an hour with the DMV in Richmond on the phone , at last y got the plates issued. I also want to go by our state laws and be safe. It bothers me when I see daily driven cars with Antique plate abusing our laws. Please update info so we can keep our cars within state laws.
Agreed, but DMV is a whole 'nother issue, that would be a different thread. I want to keep this thread on how to get a daily driver inspected.

Most of the Antique Plate abuse I see is older pickup trucks at Home Depot. They are beat up work trucks avoiding inspection and avoiding liscensing fees. For everyone's safety, they really need inspection. And I feel that they give legitimate antique car owners a bad name.

I could probably get Antique Plate's for my speedster and drive daily with no problems. Looks like most people do. How does one define "daily driver"? But, I want to be unquestionably legal. I want to be able to legally drive my car anywhere at anytime for any purpose. And, I have found that both the County and State police want compliance, but they are reasonable. I am not trying to avoid the law, I am trying to obey the law as I understand it. For example, the Sergeant and I had a long conversation, he was considerate, did not give me a ticket, and he explained things as he understands them. And I am pretty sure he knows I want my car right. I now consider him incorrect on two of three items he pointed out to me and maybe incorrecton the third, but even policemen occasionally make mistakes.

It will be interesting to talk with the State Policeman the Sergeant said would call me. I am hoping he will come out to my house so he can look over the speedster and the TT I am building, Ellie Mae so she can have regular tags. I suspect that would be asking a little much though, his job is not to inspect, his job is to make sure the inspectors do their jobs correctly.

This has become somewhat of a hassle and aggravation because I don't understand all the rules and proceedures, but I am sure we will get it straight eventually.

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:29 pm

The offending disc brakes.

The Sergeant told me I was not allowed to have the disc brakes on my speedster, I could only have original brakes. I do have the original transmission brake and it is fully operational, adjusted so that it barely pulls in when the disc brakes engage. If the disc brakes fail I will have full transmission braking to the rear wheels.

The Officer whom the Sergeant sent to the inspection station did not say anything about this to the inspection station.

Here is a picture of one of the front disc brakes, and a picture of the split wishbone doubled up. If you have front disc brakes you definitely want to double up the wishbone to support the front axle. I recommend four wheel hydraulic disc brakes for anyone who drives over 45 in traffic. I always allow considerable stopping distance in any vehicle I drive, but the brakes on my speedster are good enough that I do not feel I have to allow any extra stopping distance beyond what I normally do.

I think the Sergeant is incorrect on this one.
Attachments
DSC06721.JPG
DSC06720.JPG

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:37 pm

The offending headlight.

Here are a couple of pictures of the offending headlight. The Sergeant said that each light in the headlight counts as one light and there "are more than I can count". He also said I can have a maximum of six lights on the front of the vehicle, and I cannot have a replacement Jeep headlight. The headlight has to be original to the car.

This morning I noticed a number of cars on the road with a lot more than six lights on the front if you count each LED as a separate light, including a Nissan Rogue and a Chevy Cruze.

Also please look carefully and notice the DOT SAE in the lense of the light. Can a headlight have the DOT designation if it is not street legal?
Attachments
DSC06719.JPG
DSC06713.JPG

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:45 pm

The offending windshield.
The Sergeant told me the windshield is not legal because it is plastic, it has to be safety glass. He sent a Policeman to the inspection station to tell them that my windshild is plastic and should not have passed inspection.

The glass shop told me the windshield is safety glass, and that it was probably installed before the law required a "bug" on the glass indentifying it as safety glass. The glass shop does not want to write a letter to that effect, they do not want to get involved. I don't blame them. But I don't want to replace a windshield that is perfectly good.

Does the law require Safety Glass, or does it require Saftey Glass with a bug? How about if the windshield was installed before bugs were required.

The picture is of the top edge of the glass. Is that plastic or laminated Safety Glass?

I am still confused about all these issues and will post as I go along, but for now I will lay low and wait for the State Police Officer to contact me.
Attachments
DSC06724.JPG
DSC06723.JPG
DSC06722.JPG

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:52 pm

A Model T that regularly runs at 60 MPH, has a significantly modified engine, non-stock suspension, ie: dropped axle, modern brakes, modern shocks (and I'm sure more modifications beyond what can be seen in the limited photos) is by definition a resto-mod which pretty clearly dictates a Street Rod license plate. That would solved your issue, unless the issue is for some reason to claim victimhood where it is not necessary. I'm not defending or criticising the State of VA., it's officers attempting to do their job as they understand it, or you. I'm sure it is a fun and lovely vehicle, but parking it next to a restored (or not) 1909 Model T and then insisting your car is the same car...a Model T...and qualifies for the exact same benefits or restricions on use or licensing simply due to a common lineage seems unrealistic to me.

It would seem that these days, Model Ts are a lot like people: created equal, but that's where the similarities often end...
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:54 pm

That's safety glass. The shop that did the work should be ashamed to have charged for that.
Scott Conger

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:25 pm

Scott_conger wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:52 pm
A Model T that regularly runs at 60 MPH, has a significantly modified engine, non-stock suspension, ie: dropped axle, modern brakes, modern shocks (and I'm sure more modifications beyond what can be seen in the limited photos) is by definition a resto-mod which pretty clearly dictates a Street Rod license plate. That would solved your issue, unless the issue is for some reason to claim victimhood where it is not necessary. I'm not defending or criticising the State of VA., it's officers attempting to do their job as they understand it, or you. I'm sure it is a fun and lovely vehicle, but parking it next to a restored (or not) 1909 Model T and then insisting your car is the same car...a Model T...and qualifies for the exact same benefits or restricions on use or licensing simply due to a common lineage seems unrealistic to me.

It would seem that these days, Model Ts are a lot like people: created equal, but that's where the similarities often end...
Yes, well, I was going to lay low.

You are 100% correct except in assuming I insist that my speedster is a Model T. It is built from a Model T, has a Model T engine block, Model T transmission, Model T rear with Ruckstell, Model T radiator, Model T title and registration, BUT I do not consider it a Model T. The lettering on the back "NOT-A-TEE" is out of respect for those who spend years researching history and building correct cars. I admire and respect those people, but I am not one of them.

A Street Rod license plate would be appropriate. So is a standard license plate like I have. Why confuse things. Standard plate, standard inspection, standard insurance, … drive on!

After consultation with a local guy who has forgotten more about T's than most people know ( I am a beginner and he has helped me immensely by patiently answering truly ignorant questions), I think you are on to something. I believe the Sergeant was confusing an "Antique Car" designation with the standard plates I have. A car with an Antique Vehicle designation is not allowed to have any modifications from original with a few exceptions like safety glass. If you have an Antique Plate on a Model T and the standard disc brake it on the rear, you are in violation and can lose your right to register that vehicle for five years. I am not a legal scholar, but that is pretty plain from the Code of Virginia, and I will find and post it if anyone is interested. So the Sergeant's mistake on the brakes and headlights was understandable.

I read the following from the Code of Virginia, and it looks like windshields have to be Safety Glass, but there is no requirement for a "bug" designating it as such. If I am reading it wrong, hopefully someone will correct me...
§ 46.2-1056. When safety glass required.
It shall be unlawful for any person to drive on any highway a motor vehicle registered in the Commonwealth and manufactured or assembled after January 1, 1935, and designed or used for the purpose of carrying persons for compensation or hire or as a public conveyance to transport school children and others, unless such vehicle is equipped with safety glass wherever glass is used in doors, windows, and windshields.
It shall be unlawful to drive on any highway any motor vehicle registered in the Commonwealth, manufactured or assembled after January 1, 1936, unless the vehicle is equipped with safety glass approved by the Superintendent, or meets the standards and specifications of the American National Standards Institute, Incorporated, or the regulations of the federal Department of Transportation whenever glass is used in doors, windows, and windshields.
The term "safety glass" as used in this section shall mean any product composed of glass so manufactured, fabricated or treated as substantially to prevent shattering and flying of the glass when struck or broken. The Commissioner shall maintain a list of types of glass approved by the Superintendent as conforming to the specifications and requirements for safety glass as set forth in this section and shall not issue a license for or relicense any motor vehicle subject to the provisions herein stated unless such motor vehicle is equipped as herein provided with the approved type of glass.
No glazing material other than safety glass shall be used in any motor vehicle registered in the Commonwealth, except that the Superintendent may permit safety glazing materials other than glass to be used in lieu of safety glass in portions of motor vehicles, trailers, and semitrailers designated by him, provided any such material bears a trade name or identifying mark, and has been submitted to and approved by the Superintendent.
If any person drives any vehicle in violation of this section while under a certificate issued by the State Corporation Commission, in addition to the penalty provided in § 46.2-113, the certificate of such person may, in the discretion of the State Corporation Commission, be suspended until this section is satisfactorily complied with.
Replacement safety glass installed in any part of a vehicle other than the windshield need not bear a trademark or name, provided (i) the glass consists of two or more sheets of glass separated by a glazing material, (ii) the glass is cut from a piece of approved safety glass, and (iii) the edge of the glass can be observed.

Please note, I am not looking for " benefits or restricions on use or licensing ". Standard plates, standard State inspection, standard driving. No benefits, no restrictions, and no claim that I am driving an Antique Vehicle.
Attachments
DSC06725.JPG

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:03 pm

Based on your recent explaination, I was mistaken in somehow believing you were driving a car licensed as an antique, and for some unknown reason, the trooper appears to have made that same mistake. With a regular tag, I don't see how you got any of the grief that you got. I'm guessing the fellow just had a bad day and was looking at a car whose genisis was "antique" and started applying those criteria to an auto that was not being licensed or expected to meet those requirements.

Looks like you're fine and the inspection folks were justified in their passing the vehicle if I understand that portion of the post correctly. As an aside, anyone judging a car as compliant or not, to any standard, should be able to detect safety glass when an edge is exposed as yours is. With edges not similarly exposed, you can detect safety glass with a wedding ring or similar hard object. Safety glass will give a dull "crack" when tapped and plate glass will give a brignt "clink" sound. You can also tell the difference by the way plate glass gives two reflections of an object from each face of the glass, and safety/laminated glass reflects quite differently.
Scott Conger

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:27 pm

Thanks. No doubt it is Safety Glass. I think the only remaining issue is that my Safety Glass windshield does not have a "Bug" identifying it as Safety Glass. So, if my windshield was installed decades ago when a bug was not required, do I have to replace it now? Is it "grandfathered in"?

I plan to sit back and see what develops. I have another I am plannng to put on the road, it has front disc brakes, so I have to find out how to license it, probably Street Rod like you suggested. But I can put that off for awhile. Then I can call State Police Headquarters and find out, or maybe just go to DMV, explain my situation, and see what they say.

I appreciate everyone's input.

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:49 pm

12. – INSPECT WINDSHIELD AND OTHER GLASS FOR:

Approved type safety glass.
Cloudiness, distortion or other obstruction to vision.
Cracked, scratched or broken glass.
ALL UNAUTHORIZED STICKERS MUST BE REMOVED.
Sun shading material on windshield displaying words, lettering, numbers or pictures that does not extend below the AS-1 line is permitted. In the absence of an AS-1 line, sun shading material on the windshield displaying words, lettering, numbers or pictures cannot extend more than three inches downward from the top of the windshield, unless authorized by the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles and indicated on the vehicle registration.
Operation of left front door glass

From VA State Inspection Web Site

I do not see anythig about a bug. Just that it be approved type safety glass, ie: laminated glass for windshield as opposed to tempered glass. Yours is obviously laminated glass. No problem.
Scott Conger

J1MGOLDEN
First Name: James
Last Name: Golden
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Model T Roadster
MTFCA Number: 14294
MTFCI Number: 13562

Post by J1MGOLDEN » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:11 pm

Next door, in the State of Maryland, you cannot drive any vehicle on a road or highway that cannot exceed the posted speed limit by 5 mph.

That law makes it illegal to drive a Model T on about 60 % of all Maryland roads, and elsewhere.

The law was passed a few years ago and aimed at dirt bikes, mopeds, and golf carts.

Historic vehicles were not mentioned or included in the original plan, but those words were printed along side the registration i just purchased for a 1926 Model T.

Scottio

Post by Scottio » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:52 pm

Holly smokes. I thought California was a communist state, and it is especially with this new idiot in office, but in some ways it may not be the worse. I wish you good luck in getting this all straightened out.

D Stroud
First Name: David
Last Name: Stroud
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by D Stroud » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:24 am

A lot of the time, it's just the Officers that don't understand the law. About 40 years ago here in NW MO., a friend of mine built a dune buggy using a shortened VW floor pan. It was all legal with lights, turn signals, etc. He told my friend he was in violation because it didn't have a windshield wiper. My friend asked him why it had to have a wiper when it didn't have (or have to have) a windshield. The Officer said it didn't make any difference, it had to have a wiper. My friend asked him to show him where in the regulations it said that. "OK", the Officer said. After spending quite some time looking, the Officer said he would get back to him. Strangely enough, he never did contact him. :o :o Dave
1925 mostly original coupe.

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:23 am

Scottio wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:52 pm
Holly smokes. I thought California was a communist state, and it is especially with this new idiot in office, but in some ways it may not be the worse. I wish you good luck in getting this all straightened out.
Please don't make this a political thread. I would like to be able to post what happens with my efforts to comply with the law, I don't want it to get ugly and the administrators have to close/delete/eliminate it.

DickC
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Cruickshank
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Depot Hack, 1916 Touring

Post by DickC » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:27 am

I find the issue about original equipment in the Virginia case compared to my experience in North Carolina when bringing an antique car into the state and applying for a title. I did this with a car several years ago (1925 T) and brought the car to DMV for inspection. After looking the car over carefully the inspector said, "yes that is a 1925 T but I can't give you a title" . When asked why he referred to the code book he had in his hand and read from a numbered section, "it must have a speedometer". I said the 1925 Model T did not have one when sold unless it was installed by the dealer. He stood by his decision and we went to the commissioner of DMV. He agreed that the code book was wrong and that "we" would have to go to our legislator for a bill to be passed to change the code book. FAT CHANCE THAT WOULD EVER HAPPEN!!

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:41 am

Well, so much for laying low.

I called the inspection station and asked if they had heard from the officer who told them that they should not pass cars for inspection that have plastic windshields, and they had not. So I asked if I should take the car to State Police Headquarters to clear things up, they said that would be the best thing. I don't want to "poke the bear", so to speak, but I decided to go to the inspection station for advice on this.

Instead of driving over to SPHQ and surprising them, I called and asked to speak to the Sergeant who tod me I could not have a plastic windshield. When I told the lady my name she knew immediately who I was and told me what a neat little car I had, she had seen pictures. I can not tell you how nice, polite, sweet, and wonderful this secretary/receptionist is. Knowledgeable and efficient. And very complimentary of my car! She said they discussed how I had gone to great lengths to make it as safe as possible. She said the only issue with my car is the plastic windshield. I told her that I took it to a glass shop to get it replaced and the glass shop told me it already is safety glass, they would be putting the same thing back in if they replaced it. She said she would have the Sergeant call, probably sometime this afternoon. So I should get an answer then.

I also told the inspection station that I had another T I was building and I would need an inspection within a month for it. I don't want to cause them any problems, especially after they have been visited by an Officer due to my speedster, so would they prefer if I took it somewhere else for inspection? They said, by all means, bring it by, we WANT to inspect it.

So this saga might be over soon and everyone can go merrily on their way!

Scottio

Post by Scottio » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:52 pm

Tom Hicks wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:23 am
Scottio wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:52 pm
Please don't make this a political thread. I would like to be able to post what happens with my efforts to comply with the law, I don't want it to get ugly and the administrators have to close/delete/eliminate it.
You’re right. Sorry.

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:34 pm

I see a lot of policemen, both State and County when I drive. I feel that we who drive vehicles that are different than the norm need to be very careful not to aggravate anyone, civilian or Law Enforcement. I have heard T owners talk about their rights under the law, but let's remember that laws can change. It behooves us all to always be courteous to other drivers and not obstruct the flow of traffic when enjoying our hobby.

Laws and licensing requirements for older vehicles are confusing and seldom read. We always need to be courteous to Law Enforcement, they are doing their jobs as they best see fit, and can make mistakes like we all can. Personally I feel that they are doing a job which is not only necessary, but which I am not brave enough to do. I will do what I can to make their job easier.

I am told that replacement safety glass bought from my favorite vendor has no bug or marking identifying it as safety glass.

I told the lady at Headquarters that the glass shop said the present glass is Safety Glass.

I have not heard from the Sergeant or his Officer today, so I am going to assume this case is closed.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic