Off topic— USPS Informed Delivery

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
BobShirleyAtlantaTx
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Shirley
MTFCA Number: 29135

Off topic— USPS Informed Delivery

Post by BobShirleyAtlantaTx » Mon May 17, 2021 9:52 pm

The Post Office has service you can sign up for and get email of pictures of your daily mail. Not perfect, but pretty neat. Go to USPS Informed Delivery and sign up.

ModelTWoods
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Re: Off topic— USPS Informed Delivery

Post by ModelTWoods » Mon May 17, 2021 10:05 pm

Beat you to it, Bob. I've been using it since at least late last year.

Mikes 1912
First Name: Lester
Last Name: Husted
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 20

Post by Mikes 1912 » Mon May 17, 2021 11:07 pm

What is the cost of the service?

ModelTWoods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan

Post by ModelTWoods » Tue May 18, 2021 12:08 am

Mike, as I remember, its FREE. At least I don't remember paying anything and I don't get a monthly bill.

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Tue May 18, 2021 1:01 am

Why would I want a picture of my mail before it goes in the box? I am lucky. My mail arrives before 11AM.

Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Post by Dan Hatch » Tue May 18, 2021 1:56 am

How about a picture of my mail I sent being delivered or lost?

Topic author
BobShirleyAtlantaTx

Post by BobShirleyAtlantaTx » Tue May 18, 2021 5:05 am

There is a box you can check if you don’t receive something pictured. I’m sure this is far from perfect, but it’s an attempt. And it’s a on cost service.
AE0DC997-6845-4D84-937B-05B18EE50F07.png

Topic author
BobShirleyAtlantaTx

Post by BobShirleyAtlantaTx » Tue May 18, 2021 5:12 am

I screwed up! Should read NO cost— it is free to the user.

DLodge
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Lodge
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 19659
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by DLodge » Tue May 18, 2021 8:27 am

DHort wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 1:01 am
Why would I want a picture of my mail before it goes in the box? I am lucky. My mail arrives before 11AM.
I have had the service since they started it. I remember once there was a substitute on my route and Informed Delivery had indicated I was getting a check from a client that day. I didn't get it and mentioned it to the carrier. She went back to the truck and came back with a handful of mail that she hadn't noticed (I guess). It included my check. Nothing wrong with knowing useful information when it's free.

fschrope
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Schrope
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923, 1926, 1927 TT's, 1918 cutoff touring, 1922 Coupe - original

Post by fschrope » Tue May 18, 2021 9:15 am

Why??? Because I have a PO Box in the neighboring town. I don't want to drive there if there is no mail.

BUT, it is not available with business addresses - or it may cost something with them.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue May 18, 2021 9:42 am

The primary reason to sign up is security.

If you do not register your own address to your email, then anyone else can, including the miscreant down the street. Now they can monitor your mail and KNOW what is coming and when, including checks and any parcels.

You're not required to look, not even once, after signing up, but you have now "locked" your address from anyone else registering it.

I live several miles from my mailbox out on the highway and it is a blessing to have the service as I can let junk pile up for days, saving me much gas and a bouncy ride that I no longer must take on a daily basis.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Terry_007
Last Name: Bond
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1915 Chassis
MTFCI Number: 15718

Post by Terry_007 » Tue May 18, 2021 10:45 am

I see this as a waste of time on the part of the USPS and an unnecessary additional cost of doing business for them. That technology (and time to manage it) has to be paid for by somebody somewhere along the line. The money (and effort) could be much better spent processing and delivering the mail. IMHO.
Terry

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Tue May 18, 2021 10:50 am

BobShirleyAtlantaTx wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 9:52 pm
The Post Office has service you can sign up for and get email of pictures of your daily mail. Not perfect, but pretty neat. Go to USPS Informed Delivery and sign up.
Been using it for a long time. Yes, its Free as well as those USPS Priority Mailing Boxes and their delivery to your home or business. A bit of caution - the boxes (envelopes) are the property of the USPS so they are not intended to be used for storing parts on your shelf (even used ones, look it up).
They include what called Priority Mail Regional boxes A & B (each with 2 sizes). Using their Clip n' Ship service they ship for less and are bigger than than the small & medium Priority Flat Rate Mail Boxes (A & B respectively). How? The standard Priority Flat Rate Mail Boxes are good for up to 70lbs distance independent. The A Box limit up to 15lbs and the B boxes up to 20lbs an distance affects cost but will be less because of the weight limits. . Must purchase & print shipping labels (they now have a new service where the labels can be printed at the Post Office - need to investigate) .
Another clever way to ship is using their Priority Mail Flat Rate Padded Envelope - stick parts in a box and that in the padded envelope
Businesses USPS mailing discounts are via STAMPS.COM
https://store.usps.com/store/results/sh ... 8v#content
NOTE when you sign up for the "INFORMED DELIVERY" you also have access to the Free Shipping Boxes etc
This link explains the rules of using and re-using USPS shipping materials read it regardless of ordering boxes: For example: you should not use an old(or new) USPS box inside a box your shipping because you could be charged the postage for it as well. Same has always been true for placing an addressed envelope inside a shipping box :o https://www.thebalancesmb.com/usps-supp ... es-4037892
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue May 18, 2021 10:54 am

Terry, I'm going to assume that if you think Informed Delivery is a waste of resources, then you'll love the fact that the Post Office is also scanning your Social Media monitoring what you say and who you say it to: https://www.businessinsider.com/usps-ru ... per-report
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Tue May 18, 2021 11:10 am

Terry_007 wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 10:45 am
I see this as a waste of time on the part of the USPS and an unnecessary additional cost of doing business for them. That technology (and time to manage it) has to be paid for by somebody somewhere along the line. The money (and effort) could be much better spent processing and delivering the mail. IMHO.
Terry
The Post Office has been scanning mail for sorting and notification (tracking updates) electronically (eliminates people) doing it for a long time. It is just a natural extension of taking and organizing that information via a computer program & emailing the results (no additional people involved). There is no time to manage it since it has been part of the process since ZIP codes. More importantly it is also a service to get people to use USPS: FedEx & UPS have similar services (I subscribe to those too).
https://www.fedex.com/en-us/delivery-manager.html
https://www.ups.com/us/en/services/trac ... hoice.page
Last edited by TRDxB2 on Wed May 19, 2021 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Post by perry kete » Tue May 18, 2021 11:50 am

NO PEOPLE INVOLVED ! ? I don't know what government agency your talking about but it can't be the USPS!

People Involved:
Scanner room supervisor
Scanner room supervisor secretary
Assistant scanner room supervisor
Assistant scanner room supervisors secretary
Computer & scanner installer
Computer programmer
Computer repair tech
Scanner loader
Scanner unjamming tech
Scanner unloader
Mail bin stacker
Janitor to clean up all the shredded letters
Building maintenance
and on and on and on....
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Tue May 18, 2021 5:58 pm

I have been using informed delivery for a coupla years. FWIW, 2 days or so ago I got a notice in my email from it, that said it is ENDING I believe June 12. Maybe June 2. Anyway, its ending. BUT...thats only in the email notice. It IS continuing via an app.
I already downloaded it, available for both Anxroid and I-phone. So get the app if you want Informed Delivery, of mail and packages that will still take forever to get to you!

Right now I'm still waiting for a package from Snyders from an order put in a week ago tomorrow! The mail service has absolutely tanked since last Christmas. That and Covid was their excuse, I'd like to know what it is now. Last I saw on tracking it was stuck in Cleveland. Now I can't even find it. Grrrrr.

TWrenn

Post by TWrenn » Tue May 18, 2021 6:32 pm

Finally tracked this errant package...get this folks...package left Snyders P.O. 2 days after it was dropped there...went to CLEVELAND, THEN CINCINNATI, then to AKRON, now its BACK IN CLEVELAND again today!! I am at a loss for words for this absolute stupidity. I just hope it even GETS HERE! :roll: :|

TWrenn

Post by TWrenn » Tue May 18, 2021 6:36 pm

Screenshots of the tracking. :roll:
Attachments
Screenshot_20210518-182804_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210518-182748_Chrome.jpg

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed May 19, 2021 1:41 am

perry kete wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 11:50 am
NO PEOPLE INVOLVED ! ? I don't know what government agency your talking about but it can't be the USPS!

People Involved:
Scanner room supervisor
Scanner room supervisor secretary
Assistant scanner room supervisor
Assistant scanner room supervisors secretary
Computer & scanner installer
Computer programmer
Computer repair tech
Scanner loader
Scanner unjamming tech
Scanner unloader
Mail bin stacker
Janitor to clean up all the shredded letters
Building maintenance
and on and on and on....
Perhaps you missed my point - no additional people-- all those people you mention are/were part of the existing process for mail delivery since ZIP codes were adopted. Your local post office sends "Out of Town:" mail to the local distribution facility where sorting machines are scan (take a digital image) of the items to determine routing mail & packages by weight and postal class as well as determining how it will be transported - truck, air etc to maximize carrier weight/volume. From there they go to a "Network Distribution Facility" then to the destinations local distribution facility and then t o the local post office. Below is a picture of a sorting USPS sorting facility . The program used to scan envelopes and packages actual reads the address to determine where how it will be routed to the end destination (zip code). Simple process for a computer program to match that address to those enrolled in Informed Delivery and send an email. I designed the Global shipment tracking system for a Major Corporation :Factories to warehouses, storing in bins (X,Y,Z coordinates), order picking & optimizing picker travel through a warehouse, loading truck and/or cargotainers and delivery to dealer's in the 1980's that system is still in effect - supposed to be replaced again for 3rd time in the last 20 years... prior two attempts locked up from the work load. :D
sort.png
Seriously this link shows pictures of the equipment used for delivering mail - most of the people involved are at the local post offices sort to the final destination (carrier route - the 4 digits in the ZIP+4) https://about.usps.com/news/photos/equi ... allery.htm

I live in Illinois close to Chicago than Des Moines Iowa, yet almost all my USPS is threaded through Des Moines. Likely because most of the population in this area is on the other side of the river in Iowa
Attachments
NDC.png
Mick Jagger

ModelTWoods

Post by ModelTWoods » Wed May 19, 2021 12:03 pm

Scott_Conger wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 10:54 am
Terry, I'm going to assume that if you think Informed Delivery is a waste of resources, then you'll love the fact that the Post Office is also scanning your Social Media monitoring what you say and who you say it to: https://www.businessinsider.com/usps-ru ... per-report
Scott, May I ask you to please specify which Terry that you reply about. I don't want to be blamed for another"TERRY"S" posts. Especially if they are perceived to be nagative. If I post something perceived to be negative, I'll "own up" to my own posts. Thanks, Terry Woods

DLodge
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Lodge
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 19659

Post by DLodge » Thu May 20, 2021 9:09 am

ModelTWoods wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 12:03 pm
Scott, May I ask you to please specify which Terry that you reply about. I don't want to be blamed for another"TERRY"S" posts. Especially if they are perceived to be negative. If I post something perceived to be negative, I'll "own up" to my own posts. Thanks, Terry Woods
Looking back through the thread, my guess is this one:
Username:
Terry_007
Groups:
First Name:
Terry
Last Name:
Bond
MTFCI Number:
Model Ts owned:
1914 Touring, 1915 Chassis

Duckwing
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Wilson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Roadster Pickup

Post by Duckwing » Thu May 20, 2021 9:30 am

Reading thru the tracking information for my purchased items can be a hoot. For me, most go along fine until they reach Memphis then who knows where the will end up or how long they will sit there before they move. Processing time has improved so I guess I will need to find another form of entertainment.

Jim Eubanks
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Eubanks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 touring, 1927 cpe
MTFCA Number: 49847
MTFCI Number: 8340

Post by Jim Eubanks » Thu May 20, 2021 9:46 am

I signed up for ID several days ago and have yet to receive a notice. The first day I got one with some else's stuff in TX.

TWrenn

Post by TWrenn » Thu May 20, 2021 10:58 am

Well thats the post office for ya!
Still waiting for my Snyders package I ordered over a week ago. It's on a scenic tour! I have to clarify my previous post. As usual I misunderstood the P.O.'s statement, ID is still gonna be in email, but not on its "standalone" mobile app. And we can still access ID via the USPS mobile app as well. Confusing a little. Just wish they'd get their act together and quit sending packages across Timbuktu to get to its destination! :roll:

BHarper
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Harper
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 Touring, '20 TT Farm Truck, '24 TT Depot Hack, '24 Coupe, and a 1914 Metz Model 22 Torpedo Runabout
MTFCA Number: 5414
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by BHarper » Thu May 20, 2021 11:46 am

A picture recently taken, by an undercover reporter, at a large postal processing center where a few packages have allegedly languished for longer than one might expect.

raiderslastscene-magnum.jpg
raiderslastscene-magnum.jpg (58.64 KiB) Viewed 2937 times

Terry_007
Last Name: Bond
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1915 Chassis
MTFCI Number: 15718

Post by Terry_007 » Thu May 20, 2021 12:26 pm

DLodge wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 9:09 am
ModelTWoods wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 12:03 pm
Scott, May I ask you to please specify which Terry that you reply about. I don't want to be blamed for another"TERRY"S" posts. Especially if they are perceived to be negative. If I post something perceived to be negative, I'll "own up" to my own posts. Thanks, Terry Woods
Looking back through the thread, my guess is this one:
Username:
Terry_007
Groups:
First Name:
Terry
Last Name:
Bond
MTFCI Number:
Model Ts owned:
1914 Touring, 1915 Chassis
Yup, my post, my opinion.
Terry

TWrenn

Post by TWrenn » Thu May 20, 2021 3:35 pm

Thanks Bill!!
Just what I needed to see! :lol:
At least mine is back in Cleveland after making an unnecessary trip to Akron, Cincinnati and back. Good grief. Been in Cleveland niw for at least 2 days, maybe 3. If I knew I could, I'd drive up there and get the danged thing myself!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic