Demountable rim plating

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Demountable rim plating

Post by Humblej » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:01 am

Went to the Benson Ford Research Center today to see demountable rim drawings. Saw drawings for 30 x 3.5, TT, and balloon. Manufactures included Ford, Firestone, Kelsey, and Hayes. There must have been 30 or more drawings so for time constraints, I just looked at the most recent drawings for the different part numbers. Of the clincher rims, some were galvanized, some were zinc. As to the balloon split rims, only saw Ford drawings, or I assume as no manufacturers name was identified, all were zinc. TT solid tire rims were zinc. This contradicts the Les Henry book Model T Restoration Hand Book (that was all we had back in the early 1970's) and which I quoted a few weeks ago in response to a question someone posted regarding the correct color to paint his rims. Well with the conflicting responses he received it got me thinking and gave me a reason to visit the center again.

George Andreasen
First Name: George
Last Name: Andreasen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 0...building from parts

Re: Demountable rim plating

Post by George Andreasen » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:17 am

I thought zinc plating WAS galvanizing................

George N Lake Ozark
First Name: George P
Last Name: Clipner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '26 Touring
MTFCI Number: 18665

Post by George N Lake Ozark » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:26 am

Thanks for that info Jeff. Always wondered about the Les book and remember the Cad. reference.
I have wires on my car but wonder what the correct paint color that everybody could agree to.
A number of states have been banning certain plating processes. My former state of Kali comes to mind.

George n Lake Ozark

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:53 pm

Of the clincher rims, some were galvanized, some were zinc.
George is correct. Galvanizing IS zinc plating.

See my last post explaining the subject in more detail here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1880
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Mark Nunn » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:59 pm

George Andreasen wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:17 am
I thought zinc plating WAS galvanizing................
You are correct but there are variations. Hot dipping is galvanizing and typically leaves a heavy coating. There is also "barrel plating" where zinc is electroplated with a much thinner coat thickness. That is what you commonly see in modern hardware.

SurveyKing
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Snell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 Touring, 1924 Touring, 1925 Roadster Pickup, 1921 Touring
MTFCA Number: 31662
MTFCI Number: 23677
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by SurveyKing » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:48 pm

Not sure about zinc plating, but I have had two sets of rims Cadmium plated as I was told that is the closest thing to the zinc plating that was originally done on the demountable rims. Be interesting to see what others think, I know a lot of folks just paint them silver, but I have always preferred the cadmium plate myself.

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:10 pm

The different types of galvanizing, and the fact that cadmium plating came into industrial use after the Model T was out of production, are explained in my link above. The closest thing to zinc plating is zinc plating (galvanizing).
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:46 pm

Zinc plating is an electroplating process, just like Chrome and nickel and copper plating. Items to be plated are wired together and current passed through them which activates the chemical bath in which they are immersed. Barrel plating works the same way, except the barrel is wired for current and the components revolving within the barrel make intermittent contact to make the plating process work. These processes result in a smooth, evenly applied coating.

Galvanising is a form of zinc plating whereby the parts to be plated are immersed in a vat of molten zinc. This results in a thicker, more durable coating, which can be quite textured and can also leave dimples/pimples of zinc requiring some detailing if they are in critical areas.

On our Canadian sourced cars,I have seen a few galvanised clincher rims, but the vast majority were electro plated zinc, most of which has long since departed.

Allan from down under.

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:41 pm

Most dictionaries will tell you that the term galvanize, when applied to metals, means to coat with zinc. Hot dip and electroplate are two methods of galvanizing. The term originally referred to action produced by electric current (refer to Galvani's experiments), but came to be used for both methods. Because of the differences Allan described, hot dip galvanizing is preferable to electroplate galvanizing for rims.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:58 pm

Interesting comments. Still wounder why the different finish note specifying either galvanize for some and zinc plate for others. One of the reasons I like reading old engineering drawings, like some people study classical art.

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:14 pm

You say potato, I say potahto... Maybe different people preparing the drawings preferred different terms which mean the same thing. Is that thing under the hood an engine or a motor? Ford used both terms in different places.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

TFan
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Riedy
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 25079
MTFCI Number: 18732
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by TFan » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:26 pm

There used to be a product in a spray can called "Cold Galvanizing" how would this work for our rims. Jim
Back road kinda guy stuck on the freeway of life.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:21 am

My dictionaries agree with Steve. However, in practice, the difference needs to be recognised. Hot dip galvanising is much more durable as a rust preventative coating, because it is considerably thicker. In hardware terms, a zinc plated bolt is usually drum plated using electro plating to deposit a thin coating. This is the coating many of us spend time removing when using such hardware in our restorations.

Galvanised bolts using hot dipping need to be machined undersized to allow clearance on the threads. They are different creatures. These bolts will stand up to exposure far better than zinc plated bolts. They are a must when used with CCA treated timbers. Hence the need to specify galvanised bolts rather than zinc finish bolts.

Allan from down under.

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:07 am

I buy cans of old galvanized nails at auctions because they're hot dipped. New ones from the hardware store are thinly electroplated and turn to rust spots in a few years.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic