Crankcase ventilation

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Tom Hicks
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 32518

Crankcase ventilation

Post by Tom Hicks » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:47 pm

I found this on FB. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/11 ... oest=27932

It makes sense to me that a pipe run from the oil fill neck to the carburetor intake would suck air through the engine's crankcase, probably warm the air some too. But what does the fitting in between do, what does it connect to?
Attachments
54523344_2480912955253544_316143012126130176_n.jpg
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Re: Crankcase ventilation

Post by Original Smith » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:50 pm

There were probably two muffler clamps used to hold it up against the exhaust manifold.

Topic author
Tom Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster

Post by Tom Hicks » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:57 pm

Backside view:
Attachments
55480126_2480912908586882_2398791294114594816_n.jpg
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

Tmodelt
First Name: Kim
Last Name: Wynn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Roadster & 1927 Speedster

Post by Tmodelt » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:27 pm

I would only be guessing and I don't want to be included in the "well meaning but misinformed"group.

I am with Larry. It has to be the air intake for the carb to function correctly. This setup would also supply the venturi effect to aid in drawing the oily air / gasses of combustion mixture into the carb.

Under normal circumstances, at the area of the oil filler cap / breather any positive pressure generated in the crankcase would now be at atmospheric pressure and need to be drawn into the carb to be reintroduced into the combustion process.

I agree that this piece of unique equipment would also serve the function of a heat stove.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:32 pm

original statement in error and retracted. cannot unpost
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Charlie B in N.J.
First Name: CHARLIE
Last Name: BRANCA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: "27 Tudor / "23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 28967
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Charlie B in N.J. » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:39 pm

Might not be for a T. Or else what you have isn't the complete kit.
Forget everything you thought you knew.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:43 pm

I am doing somewhat the same thing, only my setup is only part of the air intake. The tube is in the air stream allowing the incoming crankcase fumes to be pulled in and mixed with fresh air.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Altair
First Name: David
Last Name: Menzies
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring and 1915 Touring both Canadian models
MTFCA Number: 27825
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by Altair » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:09 pm

This would take some looking in to as the oil filler cap only acts as a vent to relieve crankcase gases created by what gets past the rings. There is no inlet system so you could not "suck" the gases out. A draft tube attached to the valve covers would complete the circuit. A good air flow through the system would work well. In later years when crankcase ventilation was introduced draft tubes was the way to go and to reduce the visible smoke the draft tube gases was reintroduced into the carburetor, good thought at the time, however it caused many problems. With a tired engine and leaking unburned fuel into the system serious explosions would occur blowing off fill caps and dip sticks. So not to be defeated a check ball was introduced to prevent explosive gasses from re-entering the system and they gave it a fancy name Positive Crankcase Ventilation aka PCV. A malfunctioning PVC system can cause serious problems. The safest and most efficient system is the draft tube. With a new efficient engine there is little to no issues with crankcase ventilation however with age and wear issues start to develop and redirecting unburned gasses back through the intake system is not a good idea as it just creates greater issues internally. Just exhaust those gases to atmosphere, it won't make your car any more efficient.

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:50 pm

altair wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:09 pm
This would take some looking in to as the oil filler cap only acts as a vent to relieve crankcase gases created by what gets past the rings. There is no inlet system so you could not "suck" the gases out.
I have a hole on each side of the block which the throttle rod goes through. If I clean the engine and rinse it with a stream from a water hose, water that goes in those holes goes directly into the crankcase. (How do I know that?) I also suspect that outside air can get into the crankcase through the valve area since the covers are not airtight. So my block has plenty of area for outside air to go in. And plenty does which is one reason the oil gets dirty so fast! I am not certain I want to encourage more of this unfiltered air to pass through my crankcase and contaminate my oil.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic