The outrageous cost of shipping these days....

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
George Andreasen
First Name: George
Last Name: Andreasen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 0...building from parts

The outrageous cost of shipping these days....

Post by George Andreasen » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:40 pm

We've all griped about it before, but shipping even the smallest part is finally getting ridiculous. I have to send my ball cap for rebabbiting, along with the drive plate to get it ground true. So, I've spent most of the day bouncing all over the internet trying to make sense of shipping charges. It doesn't matter which shipper you choose, Fedex, UPS, USPS......all their websites are a confusing clog of options, weights, sizes, etc.

The folks at Snyder's told me that Fedex has a new $10 shipping fee. Do you think I could find anything about it on their website? Nooo......
The UPS website seems to think I'm going to ship a solid piece of cast iron in a one cubic foot box. That's the way their pricing works anyway.

I'm just going to put it in the smallest box that fits and take it to the Post Office, then have them send it via surface mail. Sigh.

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Re: The outrageous cost of shipping these days....

Post by Burger in Spokane » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:31 pm

Last week I sent 12 old glass telephone insulators to a collector in Ontario, Canada.
Small ones. Double boxed with foam and bubble wrap to minimize weight, it cost
$70 and change ! This was not a sale. Just a gift to a guy who likes these things.
I was shocked. :shock:
More people are doing it today than ever before !

James_B_NC
First Name: James
Last Name: Bennington
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Roadster
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by James_B_NC » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:18 pm

Sent my rims and hubs off to Stutzman’s for rebuilding today. Sent with UPS and that was $120. Then again, it was an 80lb. box.
The forum's resident Millennial.

BobD
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Doris
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout, 1930 Sport Coupe
MTFCA Number: 32538
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by BobD » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:30 pm

The TV telemarketers and even Amazon offers “Free Shipping”. I guess they have a special pricing arrangement with those shippers. When we go to ship something the same size, they really stick it to us. Especially UPS and Fedex. I do most of my shipping these days via USPS priority mail if at all possible. Seems to be more cost effective.

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:39 pm

Going a little bit sideways on this, I worked for a couple years in a large UPS sort facility.
I will NEVER ship ANYTHING remotely fragile via UPS. The sorting system and over-the-road
methods allow a totally random loading of Uncle Ernie's Model T block on top of Grandma's
19th century crystal. If the crystal comes down the chute early in the loading of a trailer, it
can have ten feet of axle shafts and bowling balls loaded in on top of it.

USPS loads their Priority Mail into special roller-mounted aluminum boxes that specifically
fit into aircraft. The design allows a maximum of perhaps six feet of stacking inside each box.
Last check, USPS will not handle the rough and heavy stuff that UPS will.

Costs aside, when it comes to fragile items that USPS will handle, the way in which they move
parcels is far less likely to break them in transit.

On the flip side, I spent a couple years on a Federal job, retrofitting facilities for security
after 9-11. Many of these facilities were larger USPS "mains", where I was repeatedly horrified
to watch package sorters "shooting three pointers" into basket carts some 20-30 feet away. I
alerted the Postmaster each time, but continued to see it happening at all of the facilities we
worked on.

If you have to ship fragile items, pack them as if they will be tossed off a truck and rolled
down the freeway to their destination.

R.V.Anderson
First Name: R.V.
Last Name: Anderson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914, 1920, 1923, 1923

Post by R.V.Anderson » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:31 pm

I was told by a UPS depot supervisor that if you write "Top Freight Only" on top of a fragile package (duly marked) that UPS is rule-bound to honor that.

Tom Hicks
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 32518

Post by Tom Hicks » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:26 pm

There are 2 UPS stores that take items for shipping within five miles of me. I packed up a magneto/flywheel in a plywood box. If I remember correctly it was 20" X 20" X 7" and around 90 lbs. One store quoted $250 over the phone, the other $150, and when I took it by to ship it, it actually shipped for $90. Those locally owned stores are an aggravation without consistent pricing and often a rip off.

But help is on the way! Amazon has started its own delivery service with its own vehicles and uniformed drivers. Once they get established they will not only ship their own PRIME stuff, but also start shipping personal items. Amazon is taking over the world.
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Post by perry kete » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:57 pm

They ship with pride...World wide!...
9a1d1ef629626b42b49301613d89c3ae.jpg
9a1d1ef629626b42b49301613d89c3ae.jpg (32.42 KiB) Viewed 5964 times
I think I know what happened to my package.
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

Charlie B in N.J.
First Name: CHARLIE
Last Name: BRANCA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: "27 Tudor / "23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 28967
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Charlie B in N.J. » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:45 pm

The UPS flat rate boxes are supposed to be a good buy weight wise when something is heavy. Has to fit of course.
Forget everything you thought you knew.

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:37 pm

R.V.Anderson wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:31 pm
I was told by a UPS depot supervisor that if you write "Top Freight Only" on top of a fragile package (duly marked) that UPS is rule-bound to honor that.
======================================

At the UPS sort, a trailer is backed to a special sloped loading dock. The center of the floors
in the trailers are rollers. Once the trailer is stopped against the bumpers, the door is opened
and an avalanche of boxes falls to the floor of the dock where a similar roller system slopes away
to the conveyor belt that carries ALL parcels to the sort. Clearing the avalanche to the rollers to
gain work space, the still-stacked parcels are then toppled to the rollers and roll away by gravity.

Now, to be fair, we made *some* effort to ease the fall of the packages by maintaining a slope
to the parcels, tumbling the high ones down across the lower ones to reduce any real impact from
falling. Still, they are not really handled with any care. The only packages that get any sort of
handling at this stage are the ones in the underbelly, which is below the rollers, and must be picked
up from the bottom floor and set on the rollers. This is all timed, and if an unloader could not meet
the set times, they were no longer employed.

On the load side, the packages are sorted by regional destination and sent along miles of conveyors
to tip off onto a roller system sloped the opposite direction of the unload, and all the packages come
down the chute, hit the trailer floor roller, and go as far into the trailer as the loader can take them
off and stack them, checking a memorized regional zip code group that this trailer will get towed to
next. This is also timed, and a loader will get canned for not meeting a breakneck speed minimum.
This is where Uncle Ernie's Model T engine block ends up stacked on top of Grandma's crystal set,
because there isn't a human alive that can remember (or even know) where the fragile stuff got
placed as the madhouse pace of boxes comes down the chute.

Supervisor's promise or not, I worked there. There is no way a loader or unloader can know what
is fragile from not when they tumble the boxes off the unload tip, and no time to read anything but
the zip code to make sure the package bound to Atlanta does not mistakenly get sent to Phoenix,
and cost the company extra handling, delays, complaints as a result.

Being that guy who does a fair amount of shipping, I tried to set aside stuff I thought could be
crushed to top loading and based my wall stacks with the heaviest boxes that came down the chute.
But I was the only one out of 25 people doing that job who gave a rip.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:48 pm

We're well out of town. Far enough that fuel is a real consideration. The best deal going is shopping at COSTCO on-line. If you order $75+ worth of food, shipping is free. We just received three 25# bags of flour, one 25# bag of sugar and lots and lots of other stuff. Came in 4 boxes: 14 x 14 x 32. 100+ lbs of food. Shipped Free.

Additionally, you DON'T have to be a member. Just add 5% to the order and you're good to go. So $75 times 1.05 = $78.75 delivered to my door via UPS with 2 day delivery. Now that's a deal.

Those staples will last us for many, many months. At our old home before we moved, that would not have bought dinner for 2 at a nice restaurant. Where you live is a choice, and lots of people make very bad choices.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Mindless Automaton
First Name: Kep
Last Name: Kerensky
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 23 truck, 26 bug
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by Mindless Automaton » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:45 am

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:56 pm

For larger items, I'm trying out Fastenal with a pair of rear steel tractor wheels from Tennessee. Probly 3 or 4 hundred pounds.
$175.00 shipping.
A couple of years ago: Parts for a Vaporizer $23.00. Shipping $25.00. :roll:
The company I work at part time is one of suppliers for Amazon's fleet of equipment and they should really get rolling this summer.
Seems like May is their official starting date at their air hubs or some-such. They'll be using Cans (containers) like the other air shippers.
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic