1922 Center Door Update (deciphering how upholstery was attached)

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Will_Vanderburg
First Name: William
Last Name: Vanderburg
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 28382

1922 Center Door Update (deciphering how upholstery was attached)

Post by Will_Vanderburg » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:54 pm

Here are four shots of the back seat cushion spring wood.

As it faces you, the spring attached to the opposite side of the wood (where the vacuum is), with the upholstery material wrapping down the front, back and sides of the spring and wood, and being nailed to the wood with the spring sandwiched inside.

After that was done, a piece of cloth that has been painted (similar to the cloth I make to reproduce historical military equipment; i.e. oilcloth), was nailed over the raw, exposed edges of the upholstery for the entire length, and width of the wood EXCEPT in the the rear of the spring ( to your left), where a piece of upholstery material entirely of a different pattern was painted on one side and tacked over the raw edge of the seat upholstery in an arc.

It also appears that there was a thin sheet of material from front to back covering the hole to keep out dirt and critters. (it's a brownish tan color).

William L Vanderburg

1925 Touring
1922 Center Door Sedan

ogrebro
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Watson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 T coupe

Re: 1922 Center Door Update (deciphering how upholstery was attached)

Post by ogrebro » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:09 pm

Most of the covers were tacked to the bottom of the frame. The springs are attached to the base, then covered with a heavy muslin. Then horse hair and then layers of cotton. Hope I haven't misunderstood the question. I've done a few T seats in my Upholstery shop over the years.
Bill

Topic author
Will_Vanderburg
First Name: William
Last Name: Vanderburg
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 28382

Re: 1922 Center Door Update (deciphering how upholstery was attached)

Post by Will_Vanderburg » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:34 pm

There was no question. I just explained it. The side of the frame you see in the photos is the side the material was tacked to. I know how it's padded and what layers, because the back rest cushion has all the material intact on it.
William L Vanderburg

1925 Touring
1922 Center Door Sedan

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic