OF carburetor float stuck

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Mark Osterman
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Osterman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 runabout

OF carburetor float stuck

Post by Mark Osterman » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:13 pm

Went out for a 55 mile drive in the country today. Was cruising steadily at 40 mph and at one point the engine started sputtering. I pulled over and found the carburetor was flooded and leaking like crazy. I turned off the valve at the gas petcock and figured there was something up with the float and valve in the carb. So I removed the cover and pulled out the float assembly.

The tip and seat looked ok but the two “butterfly” weights were not working smoothly particularly when the cover was put back on. The vertical shaft seemed to bind. So I fiddled with it, reassembled the float and cover and turned on the gas and no leak. So continued my trip. I think maybe the top of the float is also a little dented preventing the two weights from moving smoothly if the weights happen to rub up against that dented upper spot on the float. Is the float for a OF similar to others ... are replacements available?

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Re: OF carburetor float stuck

Post by Ruxstel24 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:36 pm

The OF float is nothing like a Holley or any stock T carb. Don't think any suppliers carry them.
The needle goes through the middle of the float and can hang up with very little dirt. Just a thought.

BuddyTheRoadster
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Rini
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 roadster

Post by BuddyTheRoadster » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:09 pm

All the Stromberg O-series carburetors (except for the OTs) use the same float and float bowl cover, so you can always scrounge from a parts carb. Also, a lot of drivers would just unscrew the big nut on the float bowl cover and tap the needle valve until it stopped flooding. (I think that's why that nut is usually missing when we find the carbs now.)

Good luck!

Topic author
Mark Osterman

Post by Mark Osterman » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:46 pm

Yes, removing the acorn nut and fiddling with the shaft was the first thing I tried. Didn’t work. After removing the cover and working the shaft and the two hinged weights it responded. One thing is that the cover is not the original. Anyone have a spare Stomberg cover?

I asked Stan and he said maybe to hit the hinges with carb cleaner. Interesting that the hinge pins are flat pieces of metal rather than round pins.

Mark Gregush
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:54 pm

I have seen cotter pins used on some. Try that first or even just some round rod. Don't think flat stock was ever used as it would not aid in moving the arms up and down.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:15 pm

Mark, I would not be concerned if the cover is not the original for an OF. It was missing on the first one I found and I substituted one from Studebaker variant before I sent it to Stan Howe for rebuilding. No problems. I have since found a Stromberg one, but haven't changed it out, preferring not to upset Stan"s work.

Allan from down under.

Mark Gregush
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:24 pm

By the way, if the float is dented in the area where the arms ride, flip it over. They have no top or bottom.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Topic author
Mark Osterman

Post by Mark Osterman » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:23 pm

Hey Mark, Right ... I just realized that tonight. I have a little study collection of cleaned up old carburetors in the house. While looking at the float assembly on a Zenith I saw the float could be flipped end for end. I’ll check the one on the car tomorrow. Thanks for confirming that.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic