Obese, hell I didn't even think I was overweight

Posts that have nothing to do with the Model T. You can post here or OT posts will be moved here.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Tom Hicks
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 32518

Obese, hell I didn't even think I was overweight

Post by Tom Hicks » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:34 am

At 5'10" and 215 lbs. I knew I had a little extra weight on me, but I did not consider myself fat. BMI chart indicated over 30, that is clinically obese.
https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educat ... micalc.htm

I am not the only one who has suffered from this problem, and I blame doctors first and foremost. Primary Care Physicians need to get honest with their patients about weight. There are other culprits, but I plead ignorance due to the fact that my family physician did not inform me about all that goes on in the overweight body.

My A1C was going up. So, WTF is A1C? Why should I care? I did a little research and realized I needed to lose some weight. Actually I needed a total lifestyle change. If you go on a weight loss diet, lose the weight, and then go back to your old eating habits, you will just get heavier!

So I started reading about calories. The amount of calories one takes in and the amount of calories one burns determine whether one is gaining, maintaining, or losing weight. So what foods are high in calories? I quit drinking four Cokes a day, quit eating all bread, quit eating all fast food, stopped putting sugar on anything, etc. I unintentionally ended up on the Keto diet.

The fact is that as I have aged my metabolism has aged and I can't eat like I used to. So I made a total lifestyle change with my eating habits, I had no choice. I spent a lot of time being hungry for the first couple of months, but once Keto kicked in I was no longer hungry. Some of this required mind control, when I look at a huge glazed donut I envision a big pile of dog crap, not something I want to eat.

With my present diet I don't eat much, I am not hungry, and my weight at 175 give me a BMI that is borderline overweight. I might lose some more. But that is 40 lbs. I am not carrying around, I have more energy! My A1C is no problem. It has been almost two years now and I know I can't go back to my old eating habits.

I expect that I will get more self-righteous, judgmental, and preachy later on this thread, so I suggest you read no further if you don't want to read harangues about what overweight people are doing to themselves, their health, and our health care system.
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Re: Obese, hell I didn't even think I was overweight

Post by Steve Jelf » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:13 am

Having fought the battle of the bulge for decades, a few years ago I got fed up, so to speak, with hauling around a mountain of blubber. I faced the fact that being fat was a choice I was making, and I determined to make a different choice. In a year I shed forty pounds, and felt much better. Then, five years ago, a young FB friend, a high school student, complained about being fat. I wrote him this letter:

I'm an old fatty. I porked out at about age nine and I've been fighting it ever since. Inside this gorgeous slender bod is a big fat guy waiting to come back out if I give him a chance. A few years ago I got the problem under control when I decided that the fat thermostat is between my ears, and I'm the only one who can control it. It's simple arithmetic. Taking in more calories than you burn = more fat. Taking in fewer calories than you burn = less fat. Unfortunately I like all kinds of food, so I can really stow away the groceries. Fortunately, I like all kinds of food, which includes vegetables, so a meal with a main course of spinach or cabbage is fine with me. In a year I dropped forty pounds.

What I've done is cut down the calories going in, and increased the calories burned. I haven't given up going to La Fiesta and having enchiladas supremas and frijoles refritos, or the Chinese Chef for all that good stuff at the buffet, just like all the fat folks. I just limit all that to once a week. One night a week doesn't cancel out six days of eating the right stuff. The rest of the week it's mostly veggies and fruit, almost never any meat, some tuna, some fruit, some nuts, a little cereal, etc. Pop? Diet only, but mostly water. Example: tonight I had a few ounces of kimchi, a couple of celery stalks with peanut butter, half a large cucumber, a big tomato, three slices of jalapeño cheese, half a dill pickle, three handfuls of mixed nuts, a banana, and three fig bars. That was plenty to fill me up. Breakfast will be a little cereal and an apple, none of the fried crap people eat every day that builds heart attacks, diabetes, and cancer. The folks who make packaged foods are not your friends. The more you can avoid anything that has a list of ingredients, the better off you are.

Exercise? A lot of studies have found that walking makes a difference, but I run because it takes only half as much time as walking. This morning I did three miles in 31:18. Not bad for age seventy plus. A few years ago I couldn't run three miles at all. I couldn't even run a quarter mile. I started by walking three miles. After a few weeks of that I ran a quarter mile or so and walked the rest. That made me sore the next day, so I went back to walking. After the soreness went away I ran some more, and wasn't as sore this time. Little by little, I ran more and more. It wasn't long before I was able to jog the whole three miles. For me it's a three-mile run, but anything that works up a good sweat for half an hour will do. A small benefit is the calories burned up, but that's a minor help. Much more important is that regular exercise reduces your appetite. I discovered that in basic training at Fort Polk. It also helps circulation of blood to the brain, to keep you smart.

I probably don't have to say too much about a lot of teenage kids today having diabetes, strokes, heart attacks, etc., because of weight. I suspect you're aware of all that. The good news is that you're in charge of the fat thermostat and you can turn it down. I've done it, and lots of other people have too. When my friend Mark got up around 400 pounds he got scared. I once heard his doctor tell him guys who weigh 300 pounds don't live long, so 400 pounds really had him worried. He's taken off hundreds of pounds, not by starving, but just by changing what he eats and getting some exercise.

So what's my message? It's that we all have the power to adjust our fat thermostats. That includes you. It's not always easy to do. Sometimes you wander off the path to health and into a bag of chips or a box of cookies. You don't beat yourself up over that, or give up. You get back on the path. You can do it.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:46 am

Only thing I would add is running often equals lower joint damage from the pounding. I gave
it up when I worked in law enforcement and went to a bicycle. I can work up the same cardio
without the jarring effects of gravity meeting solid earth at my joints with every step. Heavy
bodies = more impact at the joints. Blow a knee out and the exercise that helps keep the weight
off will become a real struggle, and the problem compounds.

As for eating, I use the 34 waist line pants as my guide to keeping that in check. When they
bind up a bit when bending over, I know it's time to back off on portions or go a little hungry
between trips to the slop trough. I eat lots of veggies and greens, but being prone to migraines
as a teen, I found that low blood suger was an inciting factor and don't like to let the tank get too
empty. Migraines have been rare for me for years, but the subconscious association lingers.
More people are doing it today than ever before !

Derek Kiefer
First Name: Derek
Last Name: Kiefer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Touring, 1926 Gow Job
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by Derek Kiefer » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:14 pm

According to that calculator, my weight is fine but I'm 5" too short!

Topic author
Tom Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster

Post by Tom Hicks » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:39 am

Steve Jelf wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:13 am

A few years ago I got the problem under control when I decided that the fat thermostat is between my ears, and I'm the only one who can control it. It's simple arithmetic. Taking in more calories than you burn = more fat. Taking in fewer calories than you burn = less fat.

Exercise? A small benefit is the calories burned up, but that's a minor help. Much more important is that regular exercise reduces your appetite.

[/b]
Bingo.

I hope you don't mind my cutting down your post, it is all excellent, but there are two important points you make which I would like to emphasize.

Your weight is realtive to how many calories you take in and how many calories you burn. Simple math.

A great gym plan will never beat a poor diet plan. Moderate exercise is good, it helps the metabolism, it is good for the heart and brain, but without cutting calories it is difficult to lose weight just on the treadmill.
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:43 am

A former radio doctor boiled it down to its simplest form:

"Move more, eat less"

Use ratchet strategy until desired results are obtained.

However, there is no "coming back" if a person bulks out too large. It will alter
bone structure and leave a small man living in a giant skin suit.

VWGary
First Name: Gary
Last Name: Schreiber
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 22,26 & 27
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by VWGary » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:42 am

And there are those that for various reasons lack the mobility for exercise. You can ask your physician for an RMR or resting metabolic rate. Simple test that will tell you how many calories your body requires per day to operate. My body burns 2,225 calories per day so consuming anything under that will equal weight loss. I try to stay between a 1600 -2000 daily caloric intake. Pretty simple really
Former member of MTFCA, MTFCI, SCMTFCA
Don't have to be ashamed of the car I drive, I'm just glad to be here, happy to be alive.

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:51 pm

The biggest guy I know is probably over 400 lbs. He went in the hospital because he could not do a good job of getting between the layers of flab to clean himself and he ended up with infections where the skin split and bacteria got in. They had to move him from wheelchair to bed and roll him over with a crane, probably like an engine lift. He was in the hospital for about a week. The insurance company did not want to pay for it the SECOND time it happened a few months later, but in the end they did.

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:22 pm

You mean, we ALL paid for it.

My ex had a friend. Young gal, ... early 20's. Crossed the scale I'd guess, somewhere
between 350 and 400. Not gelatanous, but just big and full in every way. Being 20-something,
she was stricken with 20-something sex drive and complained long, loud, and often about
the lack of interest shown to her by the make population. I like my women curvy, and have
no use for twiggy types, but her bulk as the reason for lack of suitors was as obvious as the
spokes in my T wheels. She seemed unable to connect the dots.

One time, a group of friends got together at her place and she told the group that she was
going to order some pizzas delivered, and asked the group what kind they'd like. When they
arrived, I happened to be in the house and saw her take one of the five and set it aside. The
other four went outside where the group was hanging out. Now, these were 26" pizzas ! HUGE.
The one set aside was a "Supreme", loaded with everything. I found this setback a little odd, so
I watched what happened through the evening. She proceeded to toss that entire pie down her
neck by herself, sneaking back into the house over the next couple hours to do so.

Now, I really do not give a rip if someone wants to eat 10x their daily caloric intake needs.
I am a strong believer in freedom, and if a person wants to do heroin, I say let 'em. But when
someone endlessly laments their station in life, and refuses to accept the realities of their own
part in making their life what it is, I find it really hard to smile and pretend I don't see the
obvious. In the end, my insurance will cost me (and everyone) a little bit more because she
made choices that will lead to premature healthcare expenses. One does not have to look
far to see this is not an uncommon situation.

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:19 am

While not everyone with type 2 diabetes is overweight, obesity and lack of physical activity are two of the most common causes of this form of diabetes. It is also responsible for about 90% to 95% of diabetes cases in the United States, according to the CDC.
https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/diabetes-causes#1

You don't want type 2 diabetes. But you can get it by being overweight.

Mopar_man
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Govoni
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32331
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Mopar_man » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:37 pm

After reading a post here about Nutrisystem I decided to try it. So far I'm down 27 pounds. When I'm done I will never go back to what I ate before. You have to understand that your body is different and can't process food like you did before. I've got another 20 to go but I'm going to keep it up.

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:36 am

Any diet that works for you is good. But it is not a short term thing, it is the rest of your life. As we age our metabolisms slow down and we tend to be more sedentary. if you go back to your old eating habits after losing the weight, it will just come back.

I blame my weight gain on my ignorace which I feel the doctor should have pointed out to me. Elevated A1C was the trip wire for me, thatis when I decided to figure out what was going on.

Good news - no one can make you overweight, how many calories you take in is under your control and only YOUR control. So you can lose the weight!

Bad news - It is not easy, especially the first month, it is a lifestyle change. And you can't blame anyone else.

I encourage everyone to do the research and keep their weight at a healthy level. For me it was a major league cut back in eating and change in eating habits. I inadvertently ended up on what they call keto. It works, and after a month on it the dieter is no longer hungry. I have to remind myself to eat.

Bills Auto Works
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Squires
MTFCA Number: 49996
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by Bills Auto Works » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:28 am

Tom,

I was not going to comment on this thread, just read along because I tend to run off on this subject, When you mentioned Ketogenics, I figured I would jump in.

Your mindset is exactly what you need to succeed! It is a lifestyle change, not a diet!

I have been Keto for going on 4 years. My guru on the subject is Kevin Rutherford. Among other things he has a radio show for truck drivers on Siruis/XM radio & also a Facebook group called Destination Health @ Lets Truck. His website is Letstruck.com (see the health tab or the protocols or the classes) After listening to him for a few months talk about it, I decided to try it. I wanted to eat healthier as I have always worked out & been active but let my eating habits lapse a bit. I only wanted to lose 15LBS, but ended up losing 45 in 4 months! I purposely gained back 10 & have been within 4LBS of that weight for 3 1/2 years.

Folks do NOT have to be 100% Keto! you can be part Keto. part Paleo. The most important thing is that you eat Nutrient Dense Whole Foods & would be wise to do away with all grains & fruit. The human body was NOT designed to process any grains & they cause many problems in the body. The more research that is done, the more is learned that gut health is the MOST important thing to overall health.

Type 2 diabetes & almost ALL auto immune diseases can be cured with the proper eating habits & fixing your gut health. There area some natural supplements that need to be taken for a short time in the beginning & some drugs cannot be stopped "cold turkey" you must be weaned off of them.
PPIs' are an example of this.

This is not a health forum & I have rambled on enough already, but I have been studying this for years & am considering getting certified as a NTP or an NTC (probably the "C")

Think "Hunter Gatherer" ...Eat like our ancestors before we figured out to grow & process grains. High Quality Meat, Fish, Eggs, Veggies, Nuts & Seeds (A Peanut is NOT a nut. Stay away from them) No Grains, if you must eat some fruit choose a small amount of berries.Very Little Dairy. If you are diabetic, NO fruit. ALL necessary nutrients are available in the foods I have listed above!

For anyone who likes to do their research by holding a book, here are a few of the best! Try to stay away from packaged "Diet Food" even if they have Keto on them somewhere. Companies are trying to capitalize on the Keto Lifestyle.

Eat Fat, Get Thin....By Dr. Mark Hyman, the head of Functional Medicine @ The Cleveland Clinic

Keto Clarity...By Jimmie Moore

WHeat Belly....Can't remember authors name

Grain Brain.....Also Can't remember authors name.

Also Look for a FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE DOCTOR that is familiar with Ketogenics. They are NOT pill pushers & have training in preventative health & tend to only prescribe medication when absolutely necessary.

For older folks joint soreness & overall pain is a problem. It is caused by inflammation & that is caused by what you eat. Many of todays' foods are inflammatory. Research anti-inflammatory foods! Keto is inharently Anti-Inflammatory & you will notice a major difference in your joints after you have been eating healthy for just a short time. Not to mention losing weight takes stress off your joints!

The real research is out there if you look for it. Anyone who would like a little more direction is welcome to message me & I will attempt to help. Even when I am certified, I am not going to make a vocation out of it, I will just be doing it to help family & friends be healthier & live longer! We have been Lied to for decades by our Gov't, Big Ag, Big Pharma & The Medical industry!

God Bless & Be Healthy
Bill
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thr ... ed.614419/
Your QUALITY Model T Transporter in Business Since 1983 & Still Going Strong

57,64,66 Pont
(2)66 Amb
67 Marlin
67 Toro
73 Nova
(2)92 XJS
07 XLR-V

Marv K
First Name: Marv
Last Name: Konrad
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 TT Steel Cab ("ToyBox Twoo"), '25 Coupe ("Cranky")
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Marv K » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:44 pm

"Let's Figgur it owt!" Just fix it (right), and make it work.....
Aah-OO-Gah! (and), "Happy T-ing!"

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:02 am

Losing weight — without exercise — and maintaining a healthy diet can cause Type 2 diabetes to go into remission and allow patients to stop taking medications, according to a study that challenges the long-held medical belief that the acquired disease is a lifelong illness.
Published Wednesday in the medical journal Lancet, the study shows that patients who committed to a strict diet and then managed their new weight were able to stay off medication to manage their diabetes.
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... tes-study/

Imagine a disease that you can "acquire" by eating to much, and that you can get rid of the disease by losing the weight.

Type 2 diabetes is a big health problem in this country, and it leads to bigger health problems. And it costs all society a lot of money when people have it.
Fortunately there is an easy solution.
Unfortunately only the person with the problem can apply the solution.

When people who are overweight get diabetes refuse to lose the weight, they are a financial burden on all of society.

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:03 pm

I just got back from the gym. There were about 30 people there and 20 of them looked like they really needed to be there. I like to see it, Good people doing the right thing for themselves and society!

A good gym program won't beat a bad diet, but it does help with the metabolism.

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:02 pm

By that measure, Mississippi is the fattest state in the union with an adult obesity rate of 34.4 percent. Colorado is the least obese — with a rate of 19.8 percent — and the only state with an adult obesity rate below 20 percent, according to “F as in Fat,” an annual report from the Trust for America’s Health and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... JD20110707

What is wrong with these people? Over 1/3 of the people in Mississippi are obese? Colorado, the lowest rate, almost 20% ?

This is a disgusting display of gluttony and ignorance. There is no excuse for obesity and the medical problems which it causes and which we all pay for. This is not just overweight, this is obesity! Brought on by gluttony.

Why is it acceptable in modern society to be obese? What will it take to get these people to lose the weight and stop being a drag on society?

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:13 pm

Rwo questions:

1. Why is it acceptable in modern society to be obese? and ....

2. What will it take to get these people to lose the weight and stop being a drag on society?

===============================================

Putting on my philosopher's hat, the answer to both is tangled up in the ambiguous term "human nature".
One could cite that humans are (in the main), essentially lazy in both thought and action. McDonald's so-
called "food" sounds fast and tasty to the average American, and it's "cheap" too. On the flip side, getting
off the easy chair to go fix the fence, turn the gardens (so you can grow your own food), or just straight up
exercise does not sound appealing to most. So, you got that ....

Then there is the supply side. Money. Lots of people make lots of money off the teeming masses who live
an obese lifestyle. Billions. Who is going to give up their income source because the caloric over-intake of
their buyers is causing problems for them ? Doing the math, I'd say just short of none at all.

As for Question No.2, this gets into social engineering, and while McDonalds has a 60+ year history of
engineering the least amount of actual food product, combined with strategic seasoning and a mega-million
dollar marketing campaigns to sell what is essentially seasoned "grey matter" to a public that creates lines
around the building for the drive-up window, because they are too lazy to get out of the car. You see a
pattern here ?

There were a couple fellows, Charles Davenport (and his wife Gertrude) and Harry McLaughlin, and a whole
lot of American clout ... Rockefellers, Harrimans, Carnegies ... that pulled together the burgeoning Eugenics
movement into a centralized Eugenics Records Office, based out of Cold Harbor, NY about the time Henry Ford
was dreaming up the Model T. The purpose of the ERO was to do research and lobby for legislation that would
force those with traits deemed undesirable to be sterilized. At the height of their power, 27 of 48 states had
approved laws supporting the ERO's cause. The celebrated Oliver Wendell Holmes, sitting Chief Justice of the
U.S. Supreme Court, in hearing the 1927 case Buck vs. Virginia, ruled in favor of mandatory sterilization of those
deemed "feebleminded". Although they tried, the ERO was unsuccessful in getting euthanasia laws passed. The
ERO was instrumental in exporting their ideas of conformity and a better human race, finding a very interested
audience in Germany in the teens, twenties, before being forced to break ties when WW2 broke out.
What Germany did with Eugenics and social engineering forever tainted the world view on the concept of one
group telling another how they should live. The trickledown is that even though American culture drowns in an
ocean of greed and poor life choices, no one is going to suggest "improvements" be enforced. The German
concept of "volkism" is not one Americans begin to understand, let alone embrace.

For an excellent read on the subject, try War Against the Weak, by Edwin Black.
https://books.google.com/books?id=qfliJ ... ns_r&cad=2

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:41 pm

Well, after unfortunately wandering onto the OT board, I could say that some of this thread is a disgusting display of ignorance, but that would be passing judgement on someone I don't know and may have a redeeming atribute that I am unaware of, so I won't say it.

I will say that I'm glad this judgemental empire only exists on-line and doesn't contain actually acreage. Subjects would be revolting (not just due to weight), and that would spell bad news.

Like everyone walking the planet, I too have my little prejudices and foibles, however I don't make any effort to make an ugly public display of them, knowing full well that there is no benefit to anyone for my sharing them with the world particularly in a disgusting manner. I will admit publicly, though, that I dislike brussel sprouts, and that's about it.

If the an ethnic or religious identifier was substituted for the term "obese" this thread would be shut down in a New York minute. Now, back to T's and good riddance to bad rubbish.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:13 pm

But you DID say it:

" ... I could say that some of this thread is a disgusting display of ignorance, but that would be passing
judgement on someone I don't know and may have a redeeming atribute that I am unaware of, so I won't
say it."

Just because you added the "disclaimer" does not remove the statement from public view.

I have no dog in the fight, but I do like open discussion, and let's not forget that "ignorance" includes
ignoring certain realities around us.

I guess I DO have a dog in the fight, when it comes to fiscal responsibility. Certain behaviors cause us
all to pay more for related services. That could be criminals: police, courts, incarceration, ... nevermind
the loss or costs to the victims, or it could be smoking or obesity, where healthcare/insurance costs go
up for everyone to cover the exceptionally high costs of those who engage in unhealthy choices. Pretty
simple, really. I am a big advocate for freedom, and freedom comes with that little thing attached to it
called "responsibility" that so many people choose to ignore. And as a result, my personal costs for groceries
or retail goods is that much more because of shoplifters, my insurance costs are that much higher because
of reckless drivers, AND my health insurance is that much higher because of the many who either are not
responsible in their own health choices, or who ignore their responsibility of health insurance and just show
up at the ER and never pay the bill.

These are all very real things that go on every day around us. I think those of us who own small businesses
get a swifter kick to the keester on these topics, as we sign away large checks to the tax man and insurance
carriers every quarter.

Disirregardlessly, I like good debate and discussion and welcome solid feedback from others. Perhaps we
even find solutions in and amongst ourselves as we kick the can around. At the very least, we get a feel
for what goes on in the minds of others.

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:38 pm

Scott_conger wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:41 pm
Well, after unfortunately wandering onto the OT board, I could say that some of this thread is a disgusting display of ignorance, but that would be passing judgement on someone I don't know and may have a redeeming atribute that I am unaware of, so I won't say it.

I will say that I'm glad this judgemental empire only exists on-line and doesn't contain actually acreage. Subjects would be revolting (not just due to weight), and that would spell bad news.

Like everyone walking the planet, I too have my little prejudices and foibles, however I don't make any effort to make an ugly public display of them, knowing full well that there is no benefit to anyone for my sharing them with the world particularly in a disgusting manner. I will admit publicly, though, that I dislike brussel sprouts, and that's about it.

If the an ethnic or religious identifier was substituted for the term "obese" this thread would be shut down in a New York minute. Now, back to T's and good riddance to bad rubbish.
"I could say that some of this thread is a disgusting display of ignorance, but that would be passing judgement on someone I don't know and may have a redeeming atribute that I am unaware of, so I won't say it."

Well you just did say it.

This is not a mater of prejudice. This is a matter of people who decide to eat way more calories than the human body was designed for, get fat, then have problems with A1C, Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and all that follows from eating too much. these people are less productive at work and their mdedical costs are shared by all of us through insurance. That is not prejudice, that is fact.

Fat people have had the dialogue changed so no one will refer to them as "fat" for politically correct reasons. If they want to claim they are "fat and happy", that is fine. Yes, they have a right to be fat. They have a right to go down to IHOP and hog down. They can even sit by me on an airplane and have their excess flab slide over into my seat. And much of this is now accepted by society because there are so many fat people.

But I think it fair to point out that if fat people took responcibility for themselves and their health it would be better for them and for the country.

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:20 am

The prevalence of obesity in the United States is nothing short of astounding and continues to be an increasing problem. Over one-third of all adults in the U.S. are obese. This poses a number of significant health concerns including heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, and development of osteoarthritis.

Excess weight places significant added stress on our joints. For this reason, obesity is a common condition that effects patients that present with osteoarthritis of the hip and knee.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/obesity- ... ry-4082985

No problem, insurance will pay. So waddle on over to Mikky D's Breakfast Club and chow down with your friends!

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Susanne » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:15 am

Derek Kiefer wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:14 pm
I won't say how much I weigh, but I should probably be somewhere thereabouts of 7'... :shock: :lol:

Good advice, Steve... and Burger, I have been told that I look "well proportioned", but I sure wish these curves were a little less, um, yeah. Yet I know I'm the one in control of it... part of it was NOT being active as I know I should be. Problem is, having not been active for a long time, one gets in the habit and THAT'S hard to break, as hard as eating right.

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:01 pm

Susanne wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:15 am
Derek Kiefer wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:14 pm
I won't say how much I weigh, but I should probably be somewhere thereabouts of 7'... :shock: :lol:

Good advice, Steve... and Burger, I have been told that I look "well proportioned", but I sure wish these curves were a little less, um, yeah. Yet I know I'm the one in control of it... part of it was NOT being active as I know I should be. Problem is, having not been active for a long time, one gets in the habit and THAT'S hard to break, as hard as eating right.
I want to applaud you, you know the deal, you are the one in control, and eating right is a habit.

I used to sit down at the computer with a coke and bag of chips, (family size bag of chips!), and not even know I was eating. When the coke was gone I would get another. Just one bad eating habit I had. It took a total lifestyle change for me to lose weight, total and for the rest of my life. One can not just lose the weight and then go back to their old eating habits.

I want to encourage you to do what you know is right!

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Wed May 01, 2019 6:44 am

Donuts Sticks and bacon were a sweet and savory success for McDonald's last quarter.

McDonald's reported strong first-quarter earnings because of robust sales for new menu items and promotions. McDonald's said global comparable sales jumped 5.4% -- its 15th consecutive quarter of global sales growth for the company. US sales grew 4.5%.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compani ... spartanntp

Donuts Sticks and bacon!!! YUM YUM!!! Can't wait to get on down to McDonalds! I guarantee they are good, I might even get a double order, and wash it down with a supersize coke!!! And I know it is healthy to eat because McDonalds cares about its customers. So what if I am fat and jiggle when I walk, that is my business and I am happy. All my friends are plus size too! It's great living in America.

babychadwick
First Name: Chad
Last Name: Azevedo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Boattail speedster, 1912 Tourabout project, 1927 Speedster (build)

Post by babychadwick » Wed May 01, 2019 9:54 am

Im not over weight im under tall
Attachments
12573215_10153919655314243_6150574806292341290_n.jpg
"Those who fail to plan, plan to fail"

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Thu May 02, 2019 6:12 am

The automobile started putting on weight in the '30's and was obese by the '60's. Its lifespan then was short, basically an engine would last 75,000 miles.

Then the government stepped in. Gas guzzlers and gas hogs became sippers of gasoline. Detroit said the mileage and emissions standards couldn't be met, but the Japanese met them and Detroit had to follow. Cars became safer, smaller, performed better, and lasted much longer. Now-a-days it is not unusual to get over 200,000 mile on an engine and there are a lot more 15-year-old cars on the road.

The diet worked, by cutting fuel consumption the other illnesses cars used to suffer went away. Getting better mileage required that engines be tighter and run cleaner. Ford recommends an oil change every 10,000 miles for my Fiesta.

Getting fat cars on a diet benefited all of us, but it took government regulation to do it. Will the government have to step in to get the American public to lose weight too?

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Thu May 02, 2019 10:28 am

Methinks you have "drank the Kool-Aid" on so-called mid-century "fat" American cars, Tom.

My old car interest began (and ran) with 50's-60's cars 40 years ago, and that 75,000 mile
number you threw out was not because of the car, design, or metals therein. It was more
like 100,000+ miles, and was more about oils, lack of strict maintenance, and a general
attitude that in five years, cars would be that much better, so why keep it around ? Styling
was also a big factor in people junking cars long before their time was due. A 30-year-old
car today doesn't look that different than a new one, compared to a 1930-vintage car on
the road in 1960, or a 1960-era finned car rolling around in 1990.

I have one car with 550,000 miles on it. It came to me with an encyclopedia set of records
of all the maintenance done to it since new, including the original sales paperwork from the
dealer. Another one has 13,000 original miles and was left for dead behind a furniture store
when it was 5 years old because some kid punched a big hole in the windshield with a rock
and the owner just went and got a new car because "that ugly old finned car was just plain
embarrassing" (to use her words). Compression is still a solid 140 across all 8, and it goes
quite well. When I owned my wrecking yard, I had 100's of cars of this era across my scope
of view. My perusal of local yards gave me a study group of 1000's more. What killed mid-
century cars was not design. It was driver habits and attitude, and most of all, marketing
by carmakers telling us our old cars were gas pigs, out of style, etc.

That said, nothing will make something happen like a person committed to making it happen.
No amount of AA meetings will sober up the guy who still wants to drink. But when one makes
up their mind to stop, it will stop. Same goes for weight. You may be right about gov't. inter-
-vention though. Still, we have lots of laws about speeding, heroin, rape, and murder. Yet
some people are undeterred. Humans are an impossible lot .... :roll:

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Thu May 02, 2019 11:30 am

The best way to get great MPG from a '60's car is to lie about it! Ditto for how long an engine would last. Getting over 75,000 miles on an engine from the 60's might be possible, but rare. Too much dust and contaminants could enter the engine. The EPA took care of all that when they started tailpipe emissions standards.

Modern engines run cleaner, get far better mileage, need fewer oil changes, and last for many thousands of miles longer. Thank the government for all that!

As far as people being obese, I don't know how much the government can do. Maybe health insurance rates could be a LOT higher for those who are obese?

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Thu May 02, 2019 6:47 pm

Here is a girl who gained the weight, over 300 lbs., then took responsibility for herself and got back in shape...

Tiffany Head (@tiffanyhead78 on Instagram) put her three children's needs before her own and, by age 35, ended up weighing 315 pounds.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/weight ... tp#image=1

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Fri May 03, 2019 1:34 pm

I went to an Imaging Center to get an X Ray yesterday afternoon. There were four girls all under 30 doing check in, insurance, etc. Every on of them was morbidly obese, they looked like a good start to a whale pod. They work in the health care field and don't take care of their health?
The patients in the waiting area weren't as bad, but of the twenty or so I saw none was less than 25 lbs. overweight, most were much more.

It is acceptable to be fat in America.

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Fri May 03, 2019 11:29 pm

About 15 years ago, I did an enormous reorganzation/rebuild of the massive cube farm headquarters
for Lincare, a respiratory care supply company. Not sure how far their operations reach, but I see their
trucks everywhere, delivering oxygen and related stuff to those whose respiratory health is gunnysack.

Of the 500+ people working in this office building, 95% were women, 95% were overweight, and probably
50% crowded the smoking areas all day long to burn one.

Let's see, ... you sell and process products for those whose breathing systems are wiped out, and then
you smoke ?

Gee, Mr. Obvious, I never made the connection ! :roll:

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat May 04, 2019 12:24 am

AL QAEDA.JPG
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

david_dewey
First Name: David
Last Name: Dewey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1925 runaboaut, 1926 Tudor
MTFCI Number: 19936

Post by david_dewey » Sat May 04, 2019 3:27 am

My wife is shorter than I am, but is about 50 pounds heavier, and I'm about 40 pounds overweight. Guess what she does for a living? Certified Nurses Aide--yep, health care. But does her Doctor mention her sleep apnea and bad knees might be related to that weight? Nope, and worse yet, our "friends" comment on my weight, and never mention hers. I guess it's OK for women to be overweight nowadays.
Yes, I'm trying to work on my weight issue, and I have come down about 15 pounds, but a long way to go still! At least my blood pressure has come down!
T'ake care,
David Dewey

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sat May 04, 2019 2:26 pm

One of my employees (24) just married his "sweetheart) (also 24). He's a beanpole. She's a solid 350
pounder, if not more. To hear him talk about wimmin', he has no interest in "skinny b!tches". He says
"I want some meat on them bones !". I have been operating from a paradigm now for 50 years that the
female in my life is supposed to be a turn on, and with the curves get reversed, that just doesn't work
for this old dog. But it is HIS preference.

I had a co-worker one time years ago that had a wife in the 700lb. range. He got pretty offended one
day when comversation between a group of us got a little negative on "big girls". We had no idea of his
wife's weight until this point. In an angry rant, he let this gem slip out: "F-ing a skinny chick is like sleeping
on a bag of coathangers". He was pissed, and he meant it. I am still not buying it, but I thought it was a
brilliant defense argument.

To each their own. I strongly believe in freedom. Where this whole thing goes sideways is when some
people force costs upon others than themselves. My insurance costs are doubly high to cover uninsured
drivers, drunks, drug users, and others who live high risk, be that smokers, overweight, russian roulette
players, or couch potatoes. Everyone should be free to live as they choose. That should be mandatorily
combined with assuming the financial responsibilities that come with it, not imposing those costs upon
others.

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Sat May 04, 2019 2:47 pm

david_dewey wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 3:27 am
But does her Doctor mention her sleep apnea and bad knees might be related to that weight? Nope,
And this REALLY, REALLY, REALLY aggravates me. Most doctors do not tell their patients that they should lose some weight when the patient starts to put on pounds. I see it as the doctors RESPONSIBILITY to inform their patients. They don't even inform the staff in their own facilities.

By losing weight one can drop their A1C, drop their BP, go off of medications, avoid medical complications, etc. etc. Yet doctors allow patients to remain ignorant. They just say, "oh, we will put you on a medication for that." I used to have a lot of respect for Primary Care Physicians, not so much anymore.

Losing weight and keeping it off requires a lifestyle change in eating habits which will last for the rest of your life. Anyone can do it, but they can't be forced to do it. I am afraid it is a losing battle though, go to the grocery store and check the percentage of people who don't need to lose weight. We live in an overweight country with high medical costs because of that weight and we all pay for it, even if we are not overweight.

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Sun May 05, 2019 5:19 pm

Your basic 55 gallon drum with feet and stumpy arms...
Attachments
4eac9e99a949bf9a22951bde96cc1368_619651b42ed705d2506c28665ccba24e_man_file_1058748_24.Mississippi_14908939177187.jpg

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Mon May 06, 2019 7:46 am

During the quarter-century studied, lifetime risk of type 2 diabetes increased for the average 20-year-old American man, jumping from nearly 21 percent in the late 1980s to just over 40 percent in 2011.
For an average 20-year-old woman, the risk increased from 27 percent in the 1980s to almost 40 percent, the investigators found.
The "diabesity" epidemic is the main driver of these increased risks, said Dr. Minisha Sood, an endocrinologist at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City.
Doctors have coined the term "diabesity" to reflect the combined effects of the diabetes and obesity epidemics. "They go hand-in hand," she said.
https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/news/201 ... projects#1

The risk of getting Type 2 Diabetes is now over 40% ? And that correlates with obesity? So if people did not get obese, they would probably not get Type 2 Diabetes.

This country needs a wake up call and the medical community is failing us.

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Mon May 06, 2019 10:33 am

The medical community has been telling us that smoking is a really bad idea for 50+ years.

Honestly, I cannot think of any reason why a thinking, breathing human would think sucking
burnt, tarry substances into their soft, inner body tissue areas is an acceptable plan, yet strangely,
millions not only do it, they PAY full retail for such a freedom !

Is there anyone stupid enough to look in a mirror, or try to bend over to pick up the morning paper,
that thinks it is good being a chub monkey ? I think this stuff is pretty obvious, beyond any endorsement
of doctors or the medical community. Using the smoking example, clearly millions would not listen
anyway. The ultimate responsibility for all our actions lies within us individually. We all know how
to find this information, if we think we're bulking up, or sucking smoke into our body seems like something
we should take up. It's not like that intel is hidden in code, in a dark cave, at a secret location. I
mean, if a person started bleeding out of an orifice, or coughing uncontrollably, would they just go
on doing nothing, blaming the medical community for not telling them something was wrong ? I think
not. So, why the different attitude toward personal responsibility for some things than others ? And
this is not directed at you, Tom. This is a general commentary/question directed toward our culture,
as a whole. Many think this way.

I think our answer lies somewhere in some people making a LOT of money selling goods and/or
services that ultimately result in the users getting health problems over time as a result. And when
big money is involved, I don't expect anything but smokescreens and obfuscation. Bottom line, we
all are responsible to ourselves, and maybe that pizza on a daily basis is more important to the
fatbody than feeling stuffed into our clothes, being out of breath, etc. Maybe that next cigarette
is craved so bad, that all the talk in the world of lung cancer, respiratory failure is reasoned away,
over and over and over again until there is a problem .....

Got no answers here, other than I want to thank you for bringing this up. I called a nutritionist friend
yesterday and set up an appointment to discuss what is in food and how to eat well and not pork up
as my aging metabolism slows down.

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Tue May 14, 2019 6:36 pm

YORK, Pa. — The numbers are staggering: Seventy-one percent of young people are ineligible to join the military, according to 2017 Pentagon data. The reasons: obesity, no high school diploma, or a criminal record.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 665840002/

The military had long been a dumping ground for those who made mistakes early on or who were not strong enough academically to pursue and education. "no high school diploma" probably covers some of those, but obesity? I understand bone spurs and anal cysts, but obesity?

71% is a big number, fortunately we don't need many in the military.

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue May 14, 2019 7:35 pm

I'd like to say "Thank you" to all the vets and present day warriors for your service to our Country and for helping to preserve the freedoms that many of us take for granted. I seriously doubt that many of you feel you were dumping yourself into the only career you were qualified or capable of handleing. Frankly, I'd say that many of you have handled quite a lot. I know my Grandfather dealt with quite a lot in Bataan and later in multiple Japanese Prison Camps, and some of you have handled similar. I probably could not, but no one truely knows until it happens. Again...THANK YOU
Scott Conger

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Tue May 14, 2019 7:53 pm

WW11 was draft.

We now have a volunteer military, and a lot of people are too fat to quality. That is a problem.

The military continues to be an option for those who are not too fat and can not find a better option.

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Tue May 14, 2019 11:55 pm

An article written by the Associated Press describing the overweight soldiers in our military (titled "Are U.S. Troops Too Fat to Fight?"), discusses the overweight trends of the active duty and reserve military, but also the recruits who are too heavy to enter into the military. The military community has always been a cross section of society -- good or bad. These days, as our country increases in size, it is only a matter of time before the military shares the traits of obesity and associated illnesses such as diabetes, heart disease, and some forms of cancer to name a few.
A shocking 20 percent of all male recruits and 40 percent of female recruits are too heavy to enter into the military ranks.
https://www.military.com/military-fitne ... t-to-fight

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Wed May 15, 2019 7:04 am

Obesity in the military is a growing concern. It is a proven fact that obesity in the United States is a growing issue among both children and adults. Obesity has no age group, race, or occupation. Unfortunately, 65 percent of military veterans are obese. This continues to be a widespread medical issue for veterans.
https://militarymortgagecenter.com/vete ... -military/

" 65 percent of military veterans are obese. " What did they teach these guys in the military? Surely being physically fit should matter to those in uniform, AND after they get out. 65%. Is this a matter of lack of self-control, a lack of self-respect, a lack of pride, or just gluttony?

I mostly blame primary care doctors for obese civilians, those doctors need to inform patients early on when they start gaining weight about the health risks. But these guys who have been in the military have to have been taught about the importance of being in shape. I don't blame their obesity and the resulting medical problems which the VA has to deal with on ignorance.

And who pays for their VA medical care?

fschrope
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Schrope
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923, 1926, 1927 TT's, 1918 cutoff touring, 1922 Coupe - original

Post by fschrope » Wed May 15, 2019 9:05 am

Ya gotta be politically correct in this day and age.

Gotta find some else to blame everything on. Nothing is an individuals fault - always someone elses. Bull.......

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Wed May 15, 2019 5:09 pm

fschrope wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:05 am
Ya gotta be politically correct in this day and age.

Gotta find some else to blame everything on. Nothing is an individuals fault - always someone elses. Bull.......
Bottom line, you are 100% correct.

In my case it was ignorance on my part and I feel that my primary care physician should have told me years ago. A1C went up and I didn't even know what A1C was.

As they say, ignorance is no excuse. I should have figured this out ten years ago.

Again, you are correct. We have to take responsibility for ourselves.

fschrope
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923, 1926, 1927 TT's, 1918 cutoff touring, 1922 Coupe - original

Post by fschrope » Thu May 16, 2019 9:05 am

Question. How much pop did you drink? Or more specifically, how much sugar free pop did you drink?

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Thu May 16, 2019 11:54 am

fschrope wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:05 am
Question. How much pop did you drink? Or more specifically, how much sugar free pop did you drink?
I can't tolerate the sugar free stuff. I drank 4 -6 12oz. Cokes / day. And ate a lot more than I needed. Loved those French fries! It takes a lot of calories to keep that much weight on.

It took a total lifestyle change for me to lose weight, and I if I go back to my old habits I will gain it back fast. But I have no desire to go back, once I cut out sugar and bread I was no longer hungry.

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Mon May 20, 2019 3:19 am

The reason juice is bad for people has to do in part with the way our bodies process the sugar in fruit juice, which is almost identical to how we take in the sugar in a can of soda.
"The biological response is essentially the same," as a team of Harvard researchers also wrote in JAMA recently.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/health ... spartanntp

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Mon May 20, 2019 8:53 am

One or two cans of diet Dr. Pepper a day here. Not just to avoid calories, but also because I hate the sticky after taste of sugared drinks.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Marv K
First Name: Marv
Last Name: Konrad
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 TT Steel Cab ("ToyBox Twoo"), '25 Coupe ("Cranky")

Post by Marv K » Mon May 20, 2019 8:22 pm

This is an article saved from 2005 about artificial sweeteners. Never cared for their 'after-taste', and FWIW, have found the NATURAL SWEETENER Stevia. Measures like sugar, but without the calories.
Artif. Sweetener-Splenda article.jpg
"Let's Figgur it owt!" Just fix it (right), and make it work.....
Aah-OO-Gah! (and), "Happy T-ing!"

Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue May 21, 2019 12:58 am

"According to the National Cancer Institute, there's no scientific evidence that any of the artificial sweeteners approved for use in the U.S. cause cancer." ~ Web MD
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

fschrope

Post by fschrope » Tue May 21, 2019 9:53 am

My conclusion to all this is that - you can find documentation to "prove" anything you want.

A little common sense is in order here...................and seems to be lacking.

Oh yeah - what about NaCl.

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Tue May 21, 2019 8:46 pm

I appreciate y'all keeping this thread positive. I find it easy to get on my high horse and get judgmental, and that does no one any good.

I avoid sugar, except in alcohol. I will drink a Coke when I need the energy, it is a big pick-me-up for me, but that does not happen often. Basically I drink coffee, water, water with lemon juice, or water with lemon juice and alcohol. No sugar and no artificial sweeteners. Once I got away from all sweet stuff my taste buds changed and all foods taste better. When I drink a Coke for energy now it is super sweet.

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Tue May 28, 2019 10:44 am

Obesity results from the energy imbalance that occurs when a person consumes more calories than their body burns. Obesity is a serious public health problem because it is associated with some of the leading causes of death in the U.S. and worldwide, including diabetes, heart disease, stroke, and some types of cancer.

https://www.cdc.gov/genomics/resources/ ... /index.htm

Gosh, where are all those calories coming from?

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Fri May 31, 2019 3:10 pm

Complications?
Attachments
obesity-31542154.jpg
obesity-31542154.jpg (42.94 KiB) Viewed 29791 times

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:20 am

web md doesn't have a clue. Sorry.
I'd have a Diet Doctor Pepper once in a while/more often if it didn't taste like flowers to me. :)
Umm, I haven't eaten any flowers lately for reference tho. :oops:
I don't eat much, am busy outside and still gain weight now I'm older... Yeast infection? Think about that.
:)
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:56 pm

Before going to AFG, I never paid any attention to my weight. When I was deployed, I
weighed a consistent 194. BMI was 27. Since coming home, I crept up to an even 200,
according to my med records, ... the last one was March. Went back last week for a quick
(accurate) weigh in, and I and was down to 187.

I still drink a Pepsi a day, have two "breakfast discs" before lunch, but have forced the
beaten-into-us-kids drive to leave no plate with a scrap of food on it urge back to a point
I am getting a half sandwich or taking the second half of that big burrito home for the
chickens, and dinner is also chopped way back to greens, veggies, and smaller amounts
of what I call "bulky" foods. I am forcing myself to FEEL hungry for a while between meals
before getting something to eat. This is my hardest obstacle, as migraines were a regular
thing for me from ages 12-42, and were most often triggered by hunger/low blood sugar,
so I have a deep desire to not let myself go to that point.
However, the migraines inexplicably stopped when I got into law enforcement at age 42,
and have been a very rare occurance since. I expected them to raise their ugly head since
allowing myself to go hungry, but it hasn't happened.

Blood pressure has gone from a consistent 130's over 80's to (last official check) 108/62.
Shocked by this number, I asked for a recount. They did it again and came back at 108/68.

My pants fit better too.

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:35 pm

The military has long bemoaned America's tubby youth, and the Council for a Strong America says Colorado is part of the problem, with more than 27 percent of the state's children categorized as overweight.

"Low levels of physical activity and the obesity epidemic are contributing to an unprecedented readiness problem for our armed forces," the nonprofit said.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/201 ... esity.html

Yeah, maybe. But they are just following the example of their elders. Do the elders even care? Do they speak of duty, honor, valor? Are they hypocrites?

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:19 pm

The bottom line is personal responsibility to self, those around us, our community, and even our
legacy. But for most people, such thoughts never enter their head. They just want beer or pizza
or whatever catches their attention, never thinking there is a big picture.

Add to this, our evolving culture of excuse making and "feelings"-based justification for not taking
the harder "high road". Saw a fine example of this at a restaurant this weekend. A 40-ish aged slob
of a male. Kinda looked like a darker haired and dirty version of Homer Simpson

His 70-ish Mommy had taken him out to dinner to get him out of the basement. He brought along
his pen and big art pad, and was drawing "super hero" sorts of characters and scenes, all the while
explaining to Mommy how each interacted with the other in his imaginary world. Mommy listened
along. At some point, the guy busted off with sloppy, wet-sounding blast of flatulence and quietly
said "Oops !" There was clearly nothing wrong with this guy, except no one had ever forced him to
grow up. So the world has one more fat slob, with no clue how to carry his own weight, interface
with the real world, is unfamiliar with soap, and if he even thinks about it, believes the world owes
him a free ride. Go to Walmart and these people show up in droves. Are there words that can be strung
together to ever bring a different way of thinking and being to such minds ? Why would a parent push
their child to be something they, themselves either do not grock, or can't be bothered to make the effort ?

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:32 pm

The U.S. Army is struggling to find physically fit recruits and it's a threat to national security, according to a report from researchers at The Citadel, a military college in South Carolina, released Wednesday.
The researchers found the issue is particularly evident in 11 Southern states–––Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas––where recruits were found to be "significantly less fit and/or more likely to become injured than recruits from other U.S. states."
The South has some of the highest obesity rates in the country. Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama all have adult obesity rates about 35 percent, placing them among the top 5 most obese states in the U.S. (West Virginia has the highest rate of adult obesity, at 37.7 percent), according to the State of Obesity, an annual report from non-profit Trust for America's Health and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
The study concluded these 11 Southern states are "disproportionately burdensome for military readiness and national security"

https://www.newsweek.com/america-so-out ... ger-778840

Southern boys do like to eat. Do they care about their health, or military readiness?

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:55 am

Who is in charge of how much one eats?
Attachments
obesity-diabetes2.jpg

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:54 pm

As IHOP nears the one-year anniversary of its infamous name change, the chain is hinting that we may soon be entering a new era of IHOb.
On Monday, the International House of Pancakes tweeted a video in which the word "IHOb" transforms into "IHOP," a reference to when the chain renamed itself as the International House of Burgers in June 2018. The tweet reads: "What could the P be? Find out June 3. #IHOP"
https://www.businessinsider.com/ihop-te ... nge-2019-5

Their customers can't hop. Maybe they should change their name to Iwaddle?

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:17 am

The Army, for instance, reports that 10.5 percent of soldiers are overweight, up from 6.4 percent five years ago. In the Air Force, 9 percent are overweight, more than double the 4.3 percent reported in 2011. Navy doctors diagnosed 5.9 percent of the fleet with elevated body-mass indices last year, up from 3.3 percent over the same five years. Among Marines, the rate was 2.3, up from 1.7 five years prior.
https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your ... ervice-is/

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:23 am

Attachments
8f14e45fceea167a5a36dedd4bea2543-3-591x1024.jpg
45c48cce2e2d7fbdea1afc51c7c6ad26-3.jpg
eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-3-549x1024.jpg
aab3238922bcc25a6f606eb525ffdc56-3.jpg
98f13708210194c475687be6106a3b84-2.jpg

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:59 am

Attachments
AACPMd4.jpg

Mopar_man

Post by Mopar_man » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:13 pm

Well I'm down 48 pounds so far. Had to buy new pants and adjust my seatbelts on my old cars! :mrgreen:

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:35 pm

Good deal Rob!
I dropped 6 more pounds and was pleased as punch to be back under 200 but I spent most of my tall life at about 170.
I hit my early 50's and blew up after a gut surgery. Getting back is a bear. We bought bigger and then smaller as I came back!
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Mopar_man

Post by Mopar_man » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:54 pm

Keep going!!!! We can only get more healthy!!

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Post by tdump » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:36 pm

Well,I am loosing my appetite and aint even trying. I know I have a spare tire but eating is something I enjoy.If I could only eat some of what you folks mentioned,life would stink! Moderation is a key factor is anything.Be it food or collecting Cabbage patch kids. I was very frustrated the other day.A resturaunt had reopened after a fire in Denton NC and we all gathered there to eat. 15 bucks for all you could eat.35 minutes in a line to get to the food.I got 2 lightly loaded plates and was unable to eat it all. :( Salad was 1 of the plates.
I am not talking a hoggish portion of food either.A scoop of mac and cheese,some ham,some fat back on 1 plate,and the salad on the other. I am not a bird and don't want to eat like 1.I am not a rabbit either,as they eat vegis and are very prolific! ;)
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

Mopar_man

Post by Mopar_man » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:38 pm

New report. I'm down 61 pounds. Ended up giving my doctor a shock. I've got another 6 to go. Man do I feel great.

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:33 am

Mopar_man wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:38 pm
New report. I'm down 61 pounds. Ended up giving my doctor a shock. I've got another 6 to go. Man do I feel great.
Congratulations! 61 is a significant figure.

And no one can do it for you, you have to do it for yourself.

If you ever need encouragement go to WalMart and watch some waddlers, Do you want to look like that? Or pickup 60 lbs. and carry it around for awhile, nice to just put it down.

How much help was your doctor with the process?

Mopar_man

Post by Mopar_man » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:29 pm

Well my Dr didn't help besides telling me to loose weight. I did it with Nutrisystem. It worked for me. As far a carrying weight. I got that feeling when I had to get 40 pounds of dog food from the basement. Couldn't believe I had more that that on me all the time. Not good. I'm so glad I'm lighter. I'm 5'10" and 175. I want to be 170-175.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:41 am

When I was a "growing boy" in high school I tended to eat and snack and still remain skinny. However when we stop growing taller, we must not eat so much or we will still keep growing outward. It is not really important to "diet". Counting calories is a waste. Easiest way to keep the weight off is to weigh oneself about once a week and if I have gained a bit, just cut back on portions a little and see how the weight is next week. If still gaining, cut back a bit more until it stays even. If I want to lose, I just cut back a little. Not a lot, just a little less. One thing I do, however, is to limit cookies to just one. I rarely eat candy and with cakes or pies, which are not every day treats, I just take one small piece.
Works very well for me. Much easier to lose a pound or two than 100 pounds or more. As for exercise, I just keep doing yard work and working on the T's. I also walk out to the mail box almost every day. 1180' each way.
Norm

Charlie B in N.J.
First Name: CHARLIE
Last Name: BRANCA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: "27 Tudor / "23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 28967

Post by Charlie B in N.J. » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:08 am

Yes sir it's diet change or tight clothes for sure. At 194 & 6' 1" I decided to act before I got bigger. Always walked a mile a day average with no weight drop. "Anything you like don't eat". Well that but modified for sure. Fries are darn near out. A few. And I mean a few. Bread ? Whole wheat & no crusts. Pizza used to be a meal. Now it's a treat once in a while and not 1/2 a pie either. Soda's out too. Ramped up fish & salads also. Have that burger just take the top of the bun off and knife and fork it. Any bread cut out is a +. At 171 after some weeks I feel I can have some "fun" calorie wise occasionally.
Forget everything you thought you knew.

Bud Delong
First Name: Kenneth
Last Name: DeLong
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring,1915 roadster

Post by Bud Delong » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:31 am

Has anyone noticed this off topic has grown into a spot for some to preach post after post?? Advancing age brings many bad things with it and being in great shape will not help if your hit by a truck while standing in the middle of the road expounding others faults!!! :D Bud the boomer who paid his share long ago!! :D

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:04 am

bud delong wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:31 am
Has anyone noticed this off topic has grown into a spot for some to preach post after post?? Advancing age brings many bad things with it and being in great shape will not help if your hit by a truck while standing in the middle of the road expounding others faults!!! :D Bud the boomer who paid his share long ago!! :D
As I said in the post that started this thread,

"I expect that I will get more self-righteous, judgmental, and preachy later on this thread, so I suggest you read no further if you don't want to read harangues about what overweight people are doing to themselves, their health, and our health care system", so, read no further if you don't want to read harangues about what overweight people are doing to themselves, their health, and our health care system.

Sometimes it is preaching, sometimes it is sharing, maybe it will help to gat another motivated.

Only you can lose the extra weight you have. We do have an obesity crisis in this country with over 25% of the population obese. Many just accept it. They carry the extra weight around, don't change their eating habits, and then suffer other medical problems resulting from obesity.

Most of us need to cut back on calories as we age, or we will get fat. Common sense about what to eat and some self-control can result in a LOT of weight loss over a year.

Those who have been successful losing weight should be thanked for sharing what worked for them.

Mopar_man

Post by Mopar_man » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:53 am

I for one liked the post. It got me thinking and now I'm down 62.5 pounds. This post motivated me to do something. So for that I say thank you. Another one was Steve Jeff's "Letter to a fat kid" I read that thing many times on his blog. I think it pushed me over the edge and Got me started. So thanks to all the people who gave me the "get off my ass" attitude. I feel better.

Scott_Conger

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:16 pm

I lost about 115lbs when I was around 30.

She took 1/2 the savings and an end table.
Scott Conger

Topic author
Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:13 am

This is a sad story. A guy down the street was a cop and retired around 45. He spent is time watching TV and eating. That was 15 years ago. In those 15 years he gained a lot of weight and had lapband surgery.

Lapband surgery restricts the size of the stomach, but it also requires the patient to go on a strict diet. this guy kept eating and kept gaining weight. He is big allover, and has a huge bulge below the bely, like a second beer belly.

I saw him about four years ago, the plan was he lose 100 lbs., then they would cut the lower belly off which would be another 50 lbs. then he could get knee replacement surgery. He never lost the 100 lbs.

He had a couple of hospitalizations for open sores that developed between layers of flab which he couldn't keep clean. They had a device like an engine lift to move him. The hospital would clean him up and keep him about a week, then send him home. The second time the insurance company refused payment, he appealed, I don't know how it turned out.

I heard last week that he had the 50 lbs. cut off and has been in a rehab facility for three weeks. He will lose weight there, they have total control of his diet.

I don't know how heavy he got, but he is an extreme example of morbid obesity. Not a lifestyle I would enjoy.

I doubt this is going to have a happy ending. Hopefully he is getting the help he needs.

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Post by tdump » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:59 pm

He has some issues that a diet is not going to fix. He must have something that is bothering him from his old job or something that is causing him to want to eat himself to death.
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:47 pm

We all wake up every morning and make choices. It's as simple as that.

Getting fat ? Move more, eat less. Pretty amazing how the human brain
can make this complicated, to avoid just doing the work to fix the problem.

Mopar_man

Post by Mopar_man » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:10 am

So I just wanted to give an update. I've been able to maintain as well as loose a little more. I started at 236 an I'm now 167.5 Here is a little before and after.

BEFORE
11856448_902347383145646_6719813026813679967_o.jpg

AFTER
IMG_4158.jpeg

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:00 pm

Hey, I recognize those shorts !

Make the Gunny proud !

Mopar_man

Post by Mopar_man » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:01 am

Put me back in. I'm ready!! Ha!

John Warren
First Name: John
Last Name: Warren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Roadster, 25 Pickup , 26 Canadian Touring , and a 24-28 TA race car

Post by John Warren » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:45 pm

Good thread Tom, congratulations Robert! I for the most part have been able to control my weight now at 64 I see a problem arising, I never was all that excited about eating but now i seem to enjoy it. I had a heart attack 3 years ago and now am trying to eat more healthy. I have two obese sisters that I am worried about! My hats off to all of you that have and are doing something about it! Agree with Steve on the thermostat. It is what it is, no reason to be political correct. Thanks jw
24-28 TA race car, 26 Canadian touring, 25 Roadster pickup, 14 Roadster, and 11AB Maxwell runabout
Keep it simple and keep a good junk pile if you want to invent something :P

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:17 pm

The title says it perfectly on my thoughts at being told by my Doctor in June of 2018 that, at 6’-3’, 262 lbs., I was borderline obese. As a former Marine (‘72-‘77), I had kept in shape all my life, but due to knee problems and getting older, I admittedly started to let things go.

When I got home, I immediately got on the Nutrisystems plan and by November got down to 210 lbs. and was able to fit into my dress blues, however, my wife said I was too skinny, to which I agreed. My face was too thin and I looked gaunt. Now at 225 lbs. my wife says I look perfect. I am able to do much more now and feel like a million dollars and, if I hold my breath, I can still fit into my dress blues. LOL! I went from a tight 38 to a comfortable 34.

I am no longer on Nutrisystems, but buy the Healthy Choice and the tasty one serving, low calorie dinners from the freezer section and the Caesar salad kits at Walmart. By watching my calories and getting exercise by working around the house, I am maintaining my 225 lb. weight, which is about right for my frame, my age and my muscle mass.

I keep an accurate account of my true weight by keeping a scale by my bed and weighing before bed and when I get up, before dressing. The morning weight, is about the most accurate weight. If I weigh 229 to 230 before going to bed, I usually weigh 225 by morning after several nightly visits to the bathroom. If I weigh more than my target weight, I cut back on what I eat that day. Jim Patrick.

www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/822076/88 ... 1554238303

Mopar_man

Post by Mopar_man » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:27 pm

Jim, Congratulations on keeping it off. I also used Nutrisystem and lost 67 pounds. Over the last year or so I was eating Healthy Choice meals and home cooked meals. I started to creep up by 12 pounds so I went back onto program and lost even more. Today I was at 167. When I read you post back in 2018 it inspired me to do something. I have a similar story. I was in the Marine Corps for 30 years and after I let myself get fat. No more I'm staying like this forever. Steve Jeff also inspired me. I read his letter to a fat kid many times on his blog. It's hard to keep it up. I turn down all kinds of food that I used to love but I love not having any health issues that come with heavy weight.

Burger in Spokane

Post by Burger in Spokane » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:42 pm

Do either of you two use smaller portions as part of the strategy ?

Do you feel the USMC background is part of your discipline (the inner
Gunny barking at you) ?

jiminbartow

Post by jiminbartow » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:09 pm

Thank you Robert and congratulations to you on your great progress. Yes. Healthy Choice dinners are awesome. Amazing how much better you feel after losing such a great deal of weight. Yes, Brent, Absolutely. The discipline and pride in appearance instilled by the Marines is a big part of this as well as most everything in my life. Yes. I do eat smaller portions, but if I occassionally have a big meal, such as at Thanksgiving, Christmas, a birthday or anniversary, I eat less the next few days, while closely watching the scale. Semper Fi, Marines. Jim Patrick

Mopar_man

Post by Mopar_man » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:02 pm

I do eat smaller meals now. I've gotten used to it so a big meal for me now is just way too much. I think the biggest thing for me was coming to the realization that I just can't eat things like I used to. Being in the Marine Corps for 30 years kept me in check and I think that combined with my desire to feel better has kept me on the path to good health. I've come to realize that most health issues are self inflicted and come from what you put in your mouth. So the real issue is does it suck not being able to eat what I want? YES. But that is overcome with my desire to live a long time. Ha! Anyone can do it. You just have to be ready to tell yourself that you can never go back to the way you were living before.

jiminbartow

Post by jiminbartow » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:33 pm

It also helped to know that, in the Marines, if you outgrew your uniforms, you had to buy a whole other set. I only had to do it once. When I entered boot camp, I was 160. When I graduated, I had put on 20 lb. of muscle, weighing in at 180 lbs. so my first set was tailored to that weight. At my first duty station after boot camp, I became obsessed with weightlifting for bulk and after only a few months, weighed 210 lbs. of solid muscle. That was all well and good, but when I discovered I couldn’t button my uniform shirts, I had to buy all new uniforms. Not a good thing on a PFC salary. Semper Fi. Jim Patrick

Mopar_man

Post by Mopar_man » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:47 pm

When I got out of bootcamp I weighed 137 at 5'10". I think I was one big ligament. Ha!! By the time I became an officer I was at about 165. Yes going from enlisted to officer uniforms was a big price jump. Ha!!

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:18 am

Have been on Weight Watchers and learned some interesting point about loosing weight. Obviously to loose weight you need to burn off (exercise) more than you take in. The point of exercising was to stimulate the metabolism not just too burn off calories (3 times 10minutes a day). The exercise was not the cardiovascular type but just a little walk, shopping for nothing just walking & looking, stationary bike, stretch band etc. Also the eating routine was a small breakfast, a small snack halfway between breakfast and lunch and another between Lunch and Supper. Another small snack in between dinner and bedtime . Nothing to eat after (2-3hrs before bed time).
The BIG meal of the day is Lunch -and a light Supper. Drinking 64 ounces of water a day. Focus was on protein. Eliminating the use of salt - there is already too much in the foods we eat. One meal at your favorite burger place (small meal plain burger 250cal/fries 220cal/soft drink 150cal) = 720 calories 32% DV of sodium. Your BIG meal of the day if your NOT trying to loose weight!
A real simple way to loose weight is to calculate about how many calories you consume every day for a week. Then reduce to 75% with the meal/snack routine of Weight Watcher. That idea is to keep you from grazing
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic