A new Model T road

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

A new Model T road

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:52 pm

IMG_2832-5-1 copy.jpg
Many years ago I made a road down the west side of my wood lot for hauling yard waste to the brush pile. Then I added to it to make the loop shown in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2ffajnp21w

A few years ago I extended it down to the south end of the place with a turn-around at the south end. Then about a week and a half ago I decided it was time to extend it across the south end and back up the east side to make another, bigger loop. At the family reunion some of the young cousins who aren't yet licensed for public driving will have a private road for a bit of low-pedal T driving.

IMG_2815 copy.JPG
Most of the trees I had to remove were little ones, but this larger one was in a spot where it had to go.

IMG_2817 copy.JPG
140 years ago this was prairie, and my great grandfather took a wagon over a hundred miles down into it to the Cimarron River to get cedar seedlings for the new cemetery. Now they're taking over, and there are companies that work full time removing cedars.

IMG_2839 copy.JPG
The other main vegetation I have to deal with is Osage orange, also known as bois d'arc, or just hedge. It's mighty hard stuff, and I had to sharpen my saw more than once. There were also a lot of little trees that were small enough for the clippers. The bottle is Tordon to kill the stumps.

IMG_2841 copy.JPG
I could have taken those hedge branches down with just two cuts. But I decided it would be prudent to take them down in a lot of small pieces so they wouldn't bring me down with them.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Re: A new Model T road

Post by Allan » Wed May 01, 2019 12:57 am

Steve, I have a friend who is a wood turner. he makes lots of accessories for handspinners of wool, and buttons, scarf pins, Celtic buckles etc. He'd be most upset to see Osage orange being treated as a nuisance timber. The few pieces available here are sold as specialty craftwoods, and command a heavy premium price. I looked at bringing some in fro him with a trunk full of T parts, but quarantine restrictions put paid to that idea.
We have some similar tracks in the mallee scrub on our farm. The remnant scrub is largely confined to the sand hills on the property, and clearing any more is contrary to our efforts to protect the remainder.

Allan from down under.

Topic author
Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed May 01, 2019 1:29 am

Hedge is excellent firewood, and I think it may be harder than eucalyptus. I have some hedge fence posts that are over sixty years old and still solid. The bathroom in my old house has hedge logs under it. When I installed a new water line I tried to drill through one and burned up three bits. The last one is still stuck in there. I finally installed a flexible line around it.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

It's Bill
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Hoffer
MTFCA Number: 32571
MTFCI Number: 24364
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by It's Bill » Wed May 01, 2019 7:10 am

Steve, Osage orange is a favored material for mauls used by wood sculptors. These look sort of like old fashioned potato masters and come in various sizes and weights. They are easier on wood handled chisels than metal hammers, and last because the wood is so hard. You might be able to sell lengths of the wood on artist forums, or turn finished mauls for sale if you have a lathe. Takes away from T time, though. Cheers, Bill

Tmodelt
First Name: Kim
Last Name: Wynn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Roadster & 1927 Speedster

Post by Tmodelt » Wed May 01, 2019 8:29 am

Around here, most of us call Osage Orange, Hedge Apple. It is a nuisance plant dropping its softball sized seed balls all over.

We have found 3 uses.
1: fence rows
2: fire wood. Burns VERY hot. Eats chainsaw chains!!!
3: seed balls are a fine rodent deterrent

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Wed May 01, 2019 8:31 am

I love carving out new trails like this....there's something very satisfying about it.

That's great that you're purposefully making a low gear Model T "track". The youngsters will love it.

Be careful working out there by yourself. Hopefully you have a cell phone on you just in case.
1924 Touring

Topic author
Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed May 01, 2019 9:54 am

Yep, I do carry a phone.

I don't know about hedge apples being a rodent deterrent. Squirrels eat the seeds.

IMG_2379 copy.JPG
When I was a kiddo there were a lot more hedge rows around here than there are now. The first settlers arrived before there was barbed wire, and they planted thorny hedges to keep the cows in (or out).
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Tmodelt
First Name: Kim
Last Name: Wynn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Roadster & 1927 Speedster

Post by Tmodelt » Wed May 01, 2019 11:59 am

I put them in the crawl space to keep mice out. They do not have a pleasant odor.

Here again, a know it all telling me that I am full of crap! My last post ever on this forum. Thanks for proving my point!

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George House » Wed May 01, 2019 12:12 pm

Well, .... at least you won’t have modern traffic to contend with Steve. Or fear of getting rear ended...
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people 🤪

Topic author
Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed May 01, 2019 1:12 pm

Here again, a know it all telling me that I am full of crap! My last post ever on this forum.

Here again, somebody with a chip on his shoulder going ballistic over a trifle. I don't know it all. I don't even know half of it. I don't know what effect hedge apples have on all rodents. I do know that squirrels eat the seeds. I'm sorry if that is upsetting news.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Wed May 01, 2019 1:21 pm

Steve Jelf wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 1:12 pm
I don't know it all. I don't even know half of it.
I used to know half of it....then I forgot 25% that. Then learned 20% of the half that I didn't know and remembered 10% of the quarter that I forgot.

Then my three kids became teenagers and I forgot 85% of everything learned and remembered.

I figured I'd use my high school algebra to calculate how much I now know, but algebra is part of the 25% that I forgot...plus I can't remember where I put my high school algebra book.
Last edited by RustyFords on Wed May 01, 2019 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1924 Touring

DLodge
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Lodge
MTFCA Number: 19659

Post by DLodge » Wed May 01, 2019 1:32 pm

Steve, the post that got you tagged as a know-it-all began with the words "I don't know." Go figure.... :D

Tom Hicks
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 32518

Post by Tom Hicks » Wed May 01, 2019 4:59 pm

Well I do know this, I was told that one in each corner would be a natural roach repellent. I don't know about the roaches, but they were a breeding and hatching ground for all kinds of bugs. And super nasty.

I never have found a good use for them.

I think the thorns are tipped with poison, not good to work with. I believe they would pop a tire.

The wood is hard, strong, and beautiful. I have heard that indians made bows from the wood.
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

Allan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Thu May 02, 2019 12:02 am

Tom, the timber certainly can be beautiful. In my collection of wooden fruits I have a turned lemon in Osage orange timber. When light plays on it, certain areas seem to glow like amber. It is this quality which makes it so desirable to my mate when he creates wooden jewellery pieces. The changing light really alters the appearance of the finished articles.

Allan from down under.

George N Lake Ozark
First Name: George P
Last Name: Clipner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '26 Touring
MTFCI Number: 18665

Post by George N Lake Ozark » Thu May 02, 2019 1:03 am

Steve, an old 'billie woman here told me that Hedge Apples were a great for keeping spiders out of the house. Put 'em on a paper plate and stash in corners and by doors. Throw out when they get Mushy.
Haven't tried it myself. Congratulations on your new section of road.

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Thu May 02, 2019 10:05 am

THIS much I know, ...

1. more people go around looking for insults/to have their "feelings" hurt these days than ever before.

2. some like 'em skinny. some like 'em fat.

3. the sun WILL come up tomorrow

Probably a couple other things I know too. Just can't think of them right now.

I love that you carry on a close-to-the-land tradition, Steve.
More people are doing it today than ever before !

Kaiser
First Name: Leo
Last Name: van Stirum
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

Post by Kaiser » Thu May 02, 2019 11:44 am

Well I'm sure i know something... about some of it
But what really p*##es me off is that not a single person tried to hurt my feelings yet
I feel left out, would someone please step on my toes, just the once.... please..
:lol:
When in trouble, do not fear, blame the second engineer ! 8-)
Leo van Stirum, Netherlands
'23 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Thu May 02, 2019 11:55 am

Ha! Leo is taking a different road. Good on ya.
Someone may try tho.

DLodge
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Lodge
MTFCA Number: 19659

Post by DLodge » Thu May 02, 2019 1:36 pm

Kaiser wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 11:44 am
I feel left out, would someone please step on my toes, just the once.... please..
:lol:
Leo, I have a friend here in St. Louis who loves the Dutch expression about someone having long toes, and she wishes we had the same expression in English. It expresses so much about someone so efficiently. :D

HaroldRJr
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: several

Post by HaroldRJr » Thu May 02, 2019 1:38 pm

Hey Kaiser,....you're supposed to end each sentence with a period! Sheesh! Are you too lazy to take the time to use proper punctuation? And the preposition "I" should be capitalized,...not lower case, which apparently is too much trouble for you! And as for your personal information, I would think you could at least take the time and trouble to get your name right! Couldn't you at least take the time and effort to press the "shift" key to type a capitol "V"? Apparently, if you ever took a class in English, you must have fallen asleep, or maybe had some kind of car magazine hidden inside your English textbook!

......so there! Feel better now Leo? (:^)

......hey,...you asked for it, right? :D

HalSched
First Name: Hal
Last Name: Schedler
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 23 RA, 25 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 16688
MTFCI Number: 19356
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by HalSched » Thu May 02, 2019 2:18 pm

Osage Orange would make excellent Model T spokes....if you could find some 8/4 Osage O lumber. I made a few pens of the stuff and they are bautiful.

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Thu May 02, 2019 2:30 pm

Speaking of Osage Orange, I have two solid Osage Orange cylinders that I bought for a project years ago but never used. Each cylinder is 5 inches in diameter and 3 inches high. They came to me coated with a protective wax that is still on them, see attached pic.

If anyone is interested in them, I will ship them to you for just the price of shipping via a medium USPS Priority flat rate box, $14.35.

Just PM me with your name and shipping address and I will respond with payment instructions. Thanks! :)
Attachments
IMG_6722.JPG
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Thu May 02, 2019 3:26 pm

Osage Orange is tough wood. We have it all over our place and have tried to keep it in control for a lot of years. My Father and I cut down bunches of them to make fence posts around the place. We have lots of them along the creek in our bottom land. In some ways they are OK but in LOTS of ways they aren’t. If you let them go they will turn into a big mess.
If you ever cut one down you had better kill out the stump. If you don’t you can gurrentee them coming back and turning into a large stemy bushy tree with lots of trunks.

Topic author
Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Thu May 02, 2019 3:54 pm

...at least take the time and effort to press the "shift" key to type a capitol "V"...

That should be capital V, Harold. Capitol is a building.

Now, don't get mad and quit.
:D
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

HaroldRJr
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: several

Post by HaroldRJr » Thu May 02, 2019 4:42 pm

Yeah,....that's one that I've never been able to get right Steve. It always seems to me that when there are two different ways to spell a word, they should be pronounced differently to help one remember which one to use! There are several commonly used words that I can never remember how to spell. When I was still working, I had a favorite and long used (by me) dictionary that was very easy for me to use, because it would almost automatically flop open to the right page, simply because I had looked up the same word so many times! :lol:

Craig Raynor
First Name: Craig
Last Name: Raynor
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 touring
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Craig Raynor » Thu May 02, 2019 6:38 pm

The American Indians preferred Orange Osage to all other for the bows. Any traditional bow shaper will gladly pay for a piece 7 foot long with no knots. I had learned this a few years ago when I was asked to make a “hot box” for friend of my coworker. The insulated box had 5 porcelain lamp holder for 100watt bulbs and I put them on a dimmer so the temperature could be controlled. He Frye’s the wood in that thing for two years then took a draw knife to it and shaped a bow out of it . He said the trick is to keep the knife “in one ring” from beginning to end. If you cut into the next ring the bow would snap at that point.He harvested the tendons that run down the back of a deer to make the string and also made his own arrows with the heads made of obsidian chipped rock. He still hunts with that set up today!

Allan

Post by Allan » Thu May 02, 2019 9:01 pm

Craig, what is a coworker? Some kind of ranch hand?

Allan from down under.

George Andreasen
First Name: George
Last Name: Andreasen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 0...building from parts

Post by George Andreasen » Fri May 03, 2019 1:18 pm

RustyFords wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 1:21 pm
Steve Jelf wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 1:12 pm
I don't know it all. I don't even know half of it.
I used to know half of it....then I forgot 25% that. Then learned 20% of the half that I didn't know and remembered 10% of the quarter that I forgot.

Then my three kids became teenagers and I forgot 85% of everything learned and remembered.

I figured I'd use my high school algebra to calculate how much I now know, but algebra is part of the 25% that I forgot...plus I can't remember where I put my high school algebra book.
When I was a teenager, my father was a complete idiot. It seemed however the older I got, the smarter he got. Translation: Listen to your elders. They have a lifetime of knowledge and experience over what you've got.

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Fri May 03, 2019 8:46 pm

Beautiful drive Steve! More kid drive space is a good thing. Just how many acres of woods do you own? :)
Up here we have to import hedge apples... We've used them for spider deterrent before.
Couldn't tell if they worked. So I really don't know much either.
Some dumb vines are trying to take over up here. Weren't here 30 years ago. Cut cut cut cut.
They reach out, climb up and will kill a tree. That's OK for a basswood.
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Topic author
Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat May 04, 2019 12:56 am

Just how many acres of woods do you own?

I don't know exactly. That piece of land includes the wooded area and an open field. My guess is that the woods are about 10 to 12 acres of it. The woods are all volunteer trees in a former pasture that was never plowed. It still has a bison wallow that collects water when there's rain.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

John Warren
Last Name: Warren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Roadster, 25 Pickup , 26 Canadian Touring , and a 24-28 TA race car

Post by John Warren » Sat May 04, 2019 8:29 am

Nice Steve, I also watched the Independence day drive, Is that your regular parking spot at Orscheln's ? :lol:
Great stuff, Thanks for sharing.
24-28 TA race car, 26 Canadian touring, 25 Roadster pickup, 14 Roadster, and 11AB Maxwell runabout
Keep it simple and keep a good junk pile if you want to invent something :P

D Stroud
First Name: David
Last Name: Stroud
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by D Stroud » Sat May 04, 2019 9:11 am

Kim W., just because someone has had a different experience/opinion than you have had, is that any reason to leave the forum? If so, I would have been gone a long time ago. Keep around, you may just find some help here. :) JMHO Dave
1925 mostly original coupe.

John Codman
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Sat May 04, 2019 10:12 am

I don't know half of it either, which is too bad because if I did, I could find someone who knew the other half, then we would be true know-it-alls.
As to the OP, the bride and yours truly are in the process of purchasing the 5.7 acres that adjoins our property here in SW Florida. The missus has asked me to chop a hiking trail through it. Your post just gave me the idea to make the trail a bit wider and I too will have a T road. Thanks for the post Steve!

Kaiser
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

Post by Kaiser » Mon May 06, 2019 4:25 am

Thanks everyone, i feel a lot beTTer now ! :roll:

Kaiser

Post by Kaiser » Mon May 06, 2019 9:21 am

Oh by the way, Steve sorry for hijacking your thread :oops:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic